PDA

View Full Version : Why is Fedora-14 so Fast..?

LittleOne
29th October 2010, 11:11 AM
Can anyone tell me why Fedora-14 is so "snappy quick" to do operations, compared to the many Ubuntu's.. even on an obsolete, slow, minimum resource tower..?

Dangermouse
29th October 2010, 11:42 AM
Because its better:D seriously though i have found that if you only have gnome file-system and not kde stuff as well, it runs so much quicker, but then that could just be me:rolleyes: but yes i do think f14 is much quicker i find most apps are instant open up now, i also use gnome shell as default.

witek
29th October 2010, 11:44 AM
You mean BETA or RC version of Fedora, I guess. Don`t worry, the final release will be as slow as others :)

Speed depends much on configuration of the services that are turned on during boot. The more services in the background the slower the system.

eagleton
29th October 2010, 12:15 PM
I've noticed as well that Fedora seems snappier on my desktop - especially when you're doing stuff which involves lots of disk operations, like copying files, ripping etc.

On my dual-core-PC, Ubuntu often felt like it was a single core, while Fedora seems to seems to deal with the system's resources in a more economic way.

Mint's Gnome seems to be snappier as Ubuntu as well, so maybe it has to do with additional services, like ubuntuone.

What Dangermouse said concerning additional KDE apps is something I've noticed as well, but even more on the Ubuntu side of things: When I was shrinking DVDs with k9copy, the rest of the system was hardly usable anymore. Again, this is much better on Fedora.

I blame Fedora's better responsiveness partly on I/O-wait, which seems much higher on Ubuntu in many cases.

witek
29th October 2010, 12:32 PM
Disk operations can be tweaked by ionice. Maybe Fedora does such tweaks for some of them, I don`t know. It might depend on filesystem too. I guess Fedora is mainly installed on ext4, while Ubuntu may be installed on XFS or JFS as well.

boogy
29th October 2010, 01:22 PM
Because its Fedora HAHAHA

AdamW
30th October 2010, 12:39 AM
Illegal drugs. Vast, vast quantities of illegal drugs.

ah7013
30th October 2010, 12:46 AM
I also found Fedora to be fast. Its amazing how fast it is compared to other distros

LittleOne
30th October 2010, 02:03 AM
Maybe it's a very large "cyber hamster, on a state of the art tread-wheel, just a bootin' it, making its tiny feet just a smokin"..?

This Fedora is definitely the Best of the Best OS's in the whole computer world today... It's obviously been built by the best of the best... I wonders what are their personal home links..? I'd like to see what they're working on... I'd like to try to help them solve their little problems, to give 'em a little boost here and there... Obviously they are the cream of humanity.. the best of the best...

skyxn3t
30th October 2010, 02:53 AM
I personally tried like 15 distributions and Fedora was the one that stood out of the bunch, been using it since Fedora 12. Great distro.

Even Linus Torvalds uses Fedora.

"I've used different distributions over the years. Right now I happen to use Fedora 9 on most of the computers I have, which really boils down to the fact that Fedora had fairly good support for PowerPC back when I used that, so I grew used to it. But I actually don't care too much about the distribution, as long as it makes it easy to install and keep reasonably up-to-date. I care about the kernel and a few programs, and the set of programs I really care about is actually fairly small. "

~Linux Torvalds <Interview by By Caitlyn Martin July 27, 2008 "Linus Torvalds on Linux Distributions">

==

"Again, distributions can obviously do that well or badly. One of the reasons I like using Fedora is that I know that they are particularly active in both having developers and in trying to also track the latest kernel fairly closely and be actively involved with bug reporting."

~Linux Torvalds <Linus Torvalds talking with Chris Smart at LCA 2009>

hellork
31st October 2010, 06:53 AM
The speed improvements are nice (pun maybe) but there is always a trade-off between foreground (desktop) and background (server) process priorities. If the goal is to do things fast in the foreground while waiting for background tasks to complete, Fedora does that quite well. But background tasks could possibly take longer or seem unresponsive because they are more "nice" on (foreground) system resources. Servers, for one, seem to want higher background priority and there is a setting while compiling the kernel where developers (you) can set this.

Having the priority on foreground (desktop) processes is usually not a problem though, unless your foreground users (multi-head system?) are on the same machine as the server.

R3353
31st October 2010, 08:38 PM
Illegal drugs. Vast, vast quantities of illegal drugs.

Yeah, you 80 hr/week developers should get some sleep now.

LittleOne
2nd November 2010, 05:28 AM
Yeah, you 80 hr/week developers should get some sleep now.

Or.. buy some "Swiss Herbal Total Energy".. and/or a box of "Zoom"...

Hollywood Travel Photos - Beitbridge Photos on Instagram - Bad Reichenhall