PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 14 Setup Guide

MorphingDragon
29th October 2010, 07:33 AM
I've written up the draft copy of my guide for F14 here:
http://fedora.missingbox.co.nz/f14.html

I would like to get it ready at launch, but I can't find out how to get video card drivers working, and am waiting for Oracle to make a F14 repo for Virtual Box.

(Oh and who's seen the new Fedora Project website? It looks snazzy for a Linux project)

glennzo
29th October 2010, 09:22 AM
Looking good MorphingDragon. I'm sure that the guide will be a valuable asset to Fedora users. Bookmarking as soon as I click "Post Quick Reply".

tox
29th October 2010, 09:36 AM
as far as the Nvidia setup guide i think it sahould point to leighs thread . i could probably pont to more but im to lazy to type more :D

MorphingDragon
29th October 2010, 09:43 AM
as far as the Nvidia setup guide i think it sahould point to leighs thread . i could probably pont to more but im to lazy to type more :D

Thats the thing, I can't get Leigh's instructions to work on F14. On ATi or nVidia cards.

I've spent the last two days trying various methods but gave up as I need to study for my last exam for the year.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM GMT ----------

Looking good MorphingDragon. I'm sure that the guide will be a valuable asset to Fedora users. Bookmarking as soon as I click "Post Quick Reply".

There's no point bookmarking that page as it will disappear and replace the index page. I don't know what I'll do with the old F13 instructions, just stick them onto a deprecated page I suppose. :s

tox
29th October 2010, 09:44 AM
Thats the thing, I can't get Leigh's instructions to work on F14. On ATi or nVidia cards.

what about his Nvidia 260+ driver guide? ATI have released 10.10c driver i think which should work

ATI driver works in Ubuntu 10.10 and should work in Fedora14 since they both use ther same X-Server / Kernel

MorphingDragon
29th October 2010, 09:55 AM
what about his Nvidia 260+ driver guide? ATI have released 10.10c driver i think which should work

ATI driver works in Ubuntu 10.10 and should work in Fedora14 since they both use ther same X-Server / Kernel

I'll try it again on a fresh install but both GPUs (7300 GO, HD4250) gave me 1024x768 Max with no acceleration.

smr54
29th October 2010, 11:50 AM
As for VirtualBox, at present, if one downloads the generic Linux one, and runs the script, it installs and works properly.

MorphingDragon
29th October 2010, 11:52 AM
As for VirtualBox, at present, if one downloads the generic Linux one, and runs the script, it installs and works properly.

Yes but that isn't simple.

leigh123linux
29th October 2010, 12:05 PM

I've spent the last two days trying various methods but gave up as I need to study for my last exam for the year.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM GMT ----------

There's no point bookmarking that page as it will disappear and replace the index page. I don't know what I'll do with the old F13 instructions, just stick them onto a deprecated page I suppose. :s

There is a bug that prevents livna-config-display from working in F14, this means you have configure xorg.conf by hand.

i.e

su
rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
nvidia-xconfig

You may need to tweak a bit

su -
gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and add

For 32 bit

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

For 64 bit

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

MorphingDragon
29th October 2010, 01:50 PM
No longer needed waffling.

MorphingDragon
30th October 2010, 01:29 PM
OK, last thing is getting ATi 3D acceleration working.

Since I don't have access to a machine with an ATi chip until the 3rd of Nov (Thats the 2nd of Nov for all you freaks in the past :p), I need somebody to test that my instructions work correctly.

***These commands are untested***

su -

wget https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run

sh ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run

Select "Install Driver 8.783 on X.Org 7.6" and "Automatic" when prompted by the ATi install script.

aticonfig --initial

ah7013
30th October 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the guide MorphingDragon.

Pinjaur Photos - Coroata Instagram Photos - Palmeira