PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] install kde desktop after Fedora 13 installation with dvd media?

Naveed Khan
16th October 2010, 04:48 PM
i have a situation please someone to help me.
I installed fedora 13 second time on same fedora partition by "install on existing linux partition" option on dvd media( if i remember ok). i forgot to check kde desktop and was left with gnome desktop only after installation.
when i open packagekit, from Administration, the gui environment to install software(Add/Remove software) in gnome, click on left pane select installed packages or anything else i dont see anything on right pane but i see error cannot find metadata repo....
i dont understand...
in error message it says refresh cache may solve problem although it is software source error.

i am a Windows user. please somebody help in detail.i have dvd media only.no internet!!:(
also help how can i connect to net using usb modem broadband with laptop in Saudi Arabia?

DBelton
16th October 2010, 05:24 PM
There is a nice guide over in the fedora docs that covers this very well...

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/sn-switching-to-gui-login.html

It explains how to use the dvd media as a repo, and how to install KDE using the groupinstall option in yum.

ozjd
17th October 2010, 03:46 AM
While that will work it is advisable to update it when you can as the KDE version on the dvd is old now.

For your usb modem I'm guessing you mean mobile broadband not wifi? First thing to try is just plug it in and see if networkmanager recognises it. Many just work. However if that isn't successful search for mobile broadband and you will find several threads on it. Last if none of those help start a new thread with the model of modem you have.

Naveed Khan
17th October 2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks a lot. i appreciate your help.

Asansol Travel Photos - Dongguan Instagram Photos - Cuba -