PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from FC2 to FC3t3

nniehoff
21st October 2004, 01:40 AM
I have several (~15) machines running FC2. I would like to upgrade these to FC3 as soon as it is available. But in the mean time I would like to upgrade my devel machine to FC3t3. I would like to do this upgrade with as little effort on my part as possible. Is there anyway to use yum or apt or up2date to upgrade for me? I would like to do this with FC3t3 on the one machine to test it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

taylor65
21st October 2004, 12:43 PM
I did this by downloading the t3 CDs and installing it as the 'upgrade' option. It looked to work well, except that I couldn't browse most web sites. I think it's because I had java, flash, realplayer, mplayer plug-ins all installed on FC2 and they were locking up in FC3t3. Don't know about yum or apt.

nniehoff
21st October 2004, 01:09 PM
Yes and that would be an option for the devel machine. But the other 15 machines are all 1U rack mounts and are headless without cdrom or floppy. I spent a long time setting up the network install to work on all 15 machines and I really don't want to do that again. Since they are all up and running I would like to be able to ssh into them and do they upgrade via yum, apt or some other software. I am mirroring fedora on one of these servers currently only FC2 but I will add FC3 and possibly FC3t3 to do all of these installs. Any other ideas?

Nick

LordMorgul
21st October 2004, 08:30 PM
Yum will probably be the best method for this. The yum developer has indicated he will be testing the upgrade path soon trying to iron out details to make this work. His recommendation (if you wish to try it now) was:
- point yum sources to the development repo (a mirror, not the redhat primary)
- yum update yum
- yum upgrade

Always get yum updated first, and then it has a chance to iron out the details. Watch the fedora-list and fedora-devel-list for more info. When it is released I am sure there will be more mention of this around the forum and probably on fedoranews.org as well.

nniehoff
22nd October 2004, 01:36 AM
Thanks, I am trying it now. It should be done in a few. I will let you know.

Nick

nniehoff
22nd October 2004, 01:45 AM
Well that was fast I got the following error:

Error: missing dep: gtk2 for pkg gtk2-devel

I will probably wait for the yum developer, unless you have any more suggestions. After I got this error running 'yum upgrade' I tried 'yum update' I received the following errors with yum update:

Error: missing dep: iiimf-server for pkg iiimf-le-newpy
Error: xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts: xorg-x11-base-fonts<= 6.7.99.903-3

Nick

Saskman
22nd October 2004, 02:24 AM
Why not use kickstart. ;)
Assuming your rackmount machines can all access one machine you could mount the CD images or the DVD on one computer and run a kickstart disc or floppy :eek: and it will do the install automagically.

Finalzone
22nd October 2004, 11:37 AM
Well that was fast I got the following error:

I will probably wait for the yum developer, unless you have any more suggestions. After I got this error running 'yum upgrade' I tried 'yum update' I received the following errors with yum update:

Error: missing dep: iiimf-server for pkg iiimf-le-newpy
Error: xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts: xorg-x11-base-fonts<= 6.7.99.903-3

Nick

1. Install the missing packages
2 do
rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-base-fonts to remove the faulty package
yum update xorg-x11-font-utils

3. Continue to update as usual

nniehoff
22nd October 2004, 01:11 PM
Why not use kickstart.
Assuming your rackmount machines can all access one machine you could mount the CD images or the DVD on one computer and run a kickstart disc or floppy and it will do the install automagically.

That is how I loaded FC2 on them. Unfortunately they are all different hardware configurations so I have to make a kickstart file for each of them which is a rather large pain. Not to mention they are all headless so I have to watch the install from a serial console.

1. Install the missing packages
2 do
rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-base-fonts to remove the faulty package
yum update xorg-x11-font-utils

3. Continue to update as usual

Thanks I will give it a try.

Nick