PDA

View Full Version : F14 Alpha X64 quit booting unexpectedly

MBender
28th September 2010, 09:35 PM
Well I was always having trouble with full screen flash (was real choppy) so last night I installed the 64bit alpha flash plugin. It fixed the problem, and I was able to log back in today with no troubles. I did a yum-update, like I typically do, and it said there was an update to my flash plugin available, so I accepted the update. I went to try it out on you tube to see if it worked, but before you tube could even load, the computer locked up. I held the power button down (laptop) to shut it down. A few hours later I try to turn it on, and the screen hangs up on the "F" logo that shows its loading progress. I noticed my caps-lock light starts blinking when it locks up. I also tried booting the older kernel, and it still gave me the same error message.

I would just erase it all, and reinstall, but I just loaded all the pictures from my camera on it the other day, and I need those pictures. Since it's all on an LVM partition, I can't access it from windows, even with ex2explore or virtual volumes.

Any suggestions? If I "update" it with a Fedora 14 beta dvd, will it keep all my files?

MBender
29th September 2010, 01:28 AM
Luckily I have a live cd of Peppermint, and was able to copy it over to my Windows file system (dual boot). Was a pain since it doesn't read LVM partitions and I needed to mount the drive and blah bah blah.

Either way, the pictures are safe, and this may be to blame:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=252170

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM CDT ----------

Lol my thoughts exactly after seeing your thread. It's too much of a hassle to try to work on the LVM partitions from my live CD (see above). I may just wipe the Fedora partitions and use something else. A shame since I've been using Fedora since FC4's original release, but it just seems to be getting slower and more stable. Definitely not as light weight as the cores used to be.

Vector
29th September 2010, 01:31 AM
... I've been using Fedora since FC4's original release, but it just seems to be getting slower and more stable. Definitely not as light weight as the cores used to be.

I know. I've been using it since Fedora Core 6, and i'm a Fedora SLAVE. I refuse to use anything else. Even my live webservers run on Fedora (against many other people's advice and opinions). I just hate the way other systems are administrated (you know, sudo, or wheel groups, or no "su -"; i just can't accept that stuff).

AdamW
29th September 2010, 06:55 PM
yes, this sounds like the glibc problem, so closing this thread to avoid it turning into a dupe :)