PDA

View Full Version : In which file is the source code

Farnelius
15th September 2010, 06:20 PM
Hey guys!

It's a stupid question. I know. But I need to tell my bash for a script in which file my source code is.
Can you help me please!

Thanks!

Steven

kurtdriver
16th September 2010, 03:37 AM
Hi, Stephen, I see you've some Gentoo experience. They're not too different, but well need a bit more info, what program's source are you looking for? It may not be on your computer, the programs on your computer are mostly in binary form.

Farnelius
16th September 2010, 12:22 PM
Hey Kurtdriver,

I need to know where my linux-kernel-source-code is, becuse it is neccessary to copy it to a certain device for installing a vpnclient software via bash-script. This is something I need to get in connection with the Internet of University of Tübingen. The main problem is, that NetworkManager cannot get in connection. There is a Handbook at the liberary and I read that only for NetworkManager 0.6 it is possible to get in an uncomplicated way in connection.
I'm sorry for my awful English.

Thank you.
Steven

P.S.: Whrer do you now about my Gentoo-Past.^^

smr54
16th September 2010, 12:44 PM
First do

uname -r

That will give you your kernel version.
If it has PAE in its name, then do

yum install kernel-PAE-devel

Otherwise, do
yum install kernel-devel

Make sure it's the same version as your kernel--if it's a higher version, you'll have to upgrade your kernel and reboot, the thing is that they have to match.

kurtdriver
16th September 2010, 04:20 PM
Or I believe you could download a source rpm.
yumdownloader kernel-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64.srpm

Wouldn't that get the source? I don't quite understand what the OP wants to do, I have zero experience with VPNs.

Farnelius, I googled your username. I was afraid that you might be a bot. Sorry if that spooked you.

Your English is fairly good, no need to apologize.

Farnelius
19th September 2010, 09:14 PM
Oh nice...so google says I'm a bot. Hehe.
I will try the next days the tipps you gave me.
I will answer then what happened.

Thank you very much.

kurtdriver
20th September 2010, 05:23 AM
No, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, Your first post here was not very specific, so I googled your username to see if that name had used for similar posts on other forums. That's their pattern. I was quite happy to see those post on the other forum. When you asked how I knew you had experience with Gentoo, I felt that I had to answer it honestly. Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding, that was not my intention. Welcome to the Forums, Kurt

Farnelius
20th September 2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Kurt,

you don't need to apologize for anything. This was no misunderstanding for me.
I will wirte down the next days the results.
Thank you.

Regards
Steven

Farnelius
28th September 2010, 06:44 PM
Hey guys,

as I said I tried some of the tips you gave me.
So. The kernel-tip was very good. It was successful.
The other tips changed nothing. I decided to visit the computer center of the University
and ask them what to do or search for a Linux User Group.
Thank you all for your help. I will post if there is a solution for my problem. Maybe it is for ohters interesting, too.

Greetings
Steven

Garhmuktesar Travel Photos - East Cleveland Travel Photos - Bowling Green Photos on Instagram