PDA

View Full Version : FC3 T2 Performance...:(

Sniffer
18th October 2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Fedora Fellows,

I'm really disappointed with Fedora performance, i have installed FC3 T2 with KDE, i'm using SuperKaramba and a background PIC....no more no less.

And on boot as you can see on the PIC takes me about 350MB Ram from 512MB Total.....and after a moment increase to 400....!!!!

It's like i'm seeing that MOVIE the RAM EATER, what can i do to increase performance from Fedora Keeping KDE environment...

Anyone in the same situation??!!

Thanks
Sniff.

superbnerd
18th October 2004, 09:59 AM
My performance in fc3t3 if fine except for the accasional 100&% cpu usage to which top doesn't provide any clues :confused: But maybe I just need to upgrade the kernel.

You should also update the system so you will run the equivilant of fc3t3. Use the top command to find which programs are eating you ram.

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 11:00 AM
kde eats a lot of ram and so does gnome but what is also eating your ram is SuperKaramba just like gdesklets does

Sniffer
18th October 2004, 11:48 AM
Thks for your replys....and maybe that's it.. i can't use superKaramba....

400MB RAM !!!! in a IDLE State...MY GODNESS

kilrex
18th October 2004, 04:02 PM
Maybe it is only a badly programmed desklet (or whatever those Karamba themes are called) that is eating up your memory? Simply a guess of mine, but if you want to use Karamba, give it a try and test each theme seperately.

P.S.: I once used Karamba on my notebook (256mb of RAM only) and didn't experience such problems (of course it's a waste of resources to use things like Karamba or gdesklets :rolleyes: but it was not THAT bad on my system though).

Ug
18th October 2004, 04:29 PM
Moved to the Test Support forum.

foolish
18th October 2004, 09:15 PM
This is real ram usage right, not inluding cache?

for real memory usage stats:

free -m

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 09:57 PM
i think free -m does not provide the correct info i find it more usefull to go to >System Tools >System Monitor and click on the resource monitor TAB to be more accurate.

superbnerd
18th October 2004, 10:05 PM
System Monitor is the same as the top. Its just a nice gui.
I don't know what you guys are bickering about. free -m and top/System Monitor give the same information :rolleyes:

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 10:09 PM
superbnerd if you compare it you will find a HUGH discrapancy....

superbnerd
18th October 2004, 10:14 PM
I just did a test. I opened a terminal and gave the "free -m" command and opened the System Monitor and here are the results:
free -m:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1011 1001 9 0 538 207
-/+ buffers/cache: 254 756
Swap: 392 23 368

System Monitor:
Used Memory: 255MB of 1011MB
Used swap: 23.5MB of 392MB

On the free -m command notice the cahe results are the same as those reported by System Monitor.

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 10:18 PM
cache is the same but the free memory reported by free -m is different form system monitor, as you can see now.

superbnerd
18th October 2004, 10:22 PM
Thats becuase linux takes all of the available memory and puts it in cache to be allocated to programs. It will appear all of your ram is used, but its just reserved. Bring reserved in chache doesn't mean it used.

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 10:25 PM
i know that...NOW back to Sniffer's issue you can use a system monitor such as gkrellm very light weight for your sistyem check it out: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21517

Jman
18th October 2004, 10:51 PM
RAM usage is a bogus indicator of performace. Would you rather not use half your RAM or keep stuff in it for very fast access later.

I notice you are using no swap and about a third of the CPU. That's good.

Applications loadling slowly and the like indicate slow performance. Any of that?

superbnerd
18th October 2004, 10:54 PM
I was wandering if it would be a good thing to disable swap if I have enough ram, 1GB? Would the system crash under heavy load?
I figure it would force everything to run from ram which is much faster than swap.

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 10:56 PM
you may but you will encounter problems at boot.....besides swap will always be part of the linux core so its better to leave alone

superbnerd
18th October 2004, 11:17 PM
Actually if I comment out the swap partition in fstab it won't mount in boot. Then I just need to configure the swapoff command to execute in the init scripts and it should work. I am just wander if the system will crash if too many programs run and there isn't any swap.

JLF_65
19th October 2004, 03:18 AM
Well, in FC3t3 the swap doesn't enable on my system. I have to turn it on with swapon after booting. As such, I can tell you EXACTLY what happens when swap is off and too much memory gets used - one or more of your running applications gets a kill signal and just quietly goes away. No crashes, you just have programs close on you. If you haven't saved - too bad. It's gone.

sideways
19th October 2004, 02:10 PM
In KDE

System Tools->Info Center

Right-Click on title bar , select Advanced->Keep Above Others

Select 'Memory' Tab

Now watch a nice real-time graphical demonstration of exactly what is going on in Ram/Swap as you open and close apps :)

Sniffer
20th October 2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the reply's...never thought i would get such help :)

The tip on GKRell it's really good....you got all the info without loosing a hell of resources.

On swap i think at least for debug and some other stuff every system needs a swap partition...even if only 128mb.