PDA

View Full Version : How to fix 'smbmount' freezes.

Sicily1918
15th October 2004, 09:07 AM
I ran into this a number of times when mounting Windows 2000/XP shares:

# smbmount //server/f$ /mountpoint/ -o username=name,workgroup=name

Everything seemed to work OK until you 'ls' the directory -- it'd then promptly freeze, and I couldn't even kill the process. In fact, it would not unmount properly even when shutting down, forcing a hard-reset and an fsck at next boot-up (the unmount would generate I/O errors and would not stop). The worst part is that that particular share/mount would then always do that from that point on.

Here's how you fix it:

After said mount has locked your current console, open another terminal console and do a lazy unmount:
# umount -l /mountpoint
Restart SMB service the 'timid' way ;)
# service smb stop
# service smb start
Then remount
# smbmount //server/f$ /mountpoint/ -o username=name,workgroup=name

And voila! It'll work. The next shutdown/reboot will complain about the mount, but you won't get I/O errors (nor will they loop forever) and since that mount doesn't exist anymore, who cares?

P.S. I don't have to mention that this is all done as root, right? :cool:

superbnerd
15th October 2004, 10:24 AM
This is a notorious gnome (particularly natilus) bug. There are several workaround hacks, but none of them are practical. the best thing to do is mount from natilus (the file browser) or have the volume auto mount on boot.

ghaefb
15th October 2004, 02:02 PM
You can restart service like this: service smb restart (it's shorter) :p
Interesting...

superbnerd
15th October 2004, 02:30 PM
Does that qork for the natilus crashing bug or has that been fixed?

Sicily1918
15th October 2004, 06:16 PM
You can restart service like this: service smb restart (it's shorter) :p
Interesting...Yeah, but I noticed that if you do, it's not always guaranteed to re-mount properly... annoying, I know :)

Hank Freid
14th May 2008, 11:40 AM
Ok, well i found out something VERY VERY VERY weird today. The smbmount has a problem with only a few specific formats: For some reason, if the folder i try to open contain a *.sxw or a *.rar, it will do the freezing stuff.... There is more stuff into it, since i have removed all loose files from the "tmp" folder and it still not coming up, but when i put a *.sxf or *.rar file alone in a folder, well, u knowPlease help me, this is getting WAY to strange to me, and im not an expert on linux, as you can probably tell.

Regards:
Hank Freid (http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2006_3rd/Aug06_Marrakech.html)