PDA

View Full Version : We don't have to live like this.

CtrlK
2nd July 2010, 08:59 AM
The first experience I had with anything Linux was when I was 16 years old. I wanted to crash my high school's server and read that hackers use Linux. Dumb. Plain dumb. I went out and bought whatever edition of Red Hat was available. I didn't know what I was doing so I couldn't even get past the login screen because I didn't know the password. Horrible experience with stupid Linux.

Since then I have used a few different distributions of Linux(mostly random versions of Fedora) but never had the gumption to stick with it.

Fast forward to an older wiser me. I'm 24 years old and my computer is telling me what I can and can't do, and on top of that its yelling at me because my copy of Windows 7 isn't legitimate and I might be the victim of software piracy. :eek:

I do what I always do and download the latest version of Fedora. This time I decide to stick with it.

Google this, Google that, and I stumble on a place of which I am a member and apparently have been for some time. FedoraForum.org. I searched for everything under the sun and by God I LOVE IT. I LOVE FEDORA AND I LOVE THE IDEA OF AN OPEN SOURCE OS.

This is the problem I have. I am browsing these pages and browsing the internet in search of all things Linux so I can better understand what all this stuff is in front of me. I keep seeing people asking about a program that mimics this Windows program or how to run such and such in wine.

If you're using Linux, Windows is probably the reason! Why are you using Fedora if all you want to do is mimic an operating system that already exists? Embrace the open source world. Let it inspire you to make a better world that doesn't chain you to a chair, and force you to look at the world through a window.

That said, I'm learning Python so I can contribute.

-Mickey

And for God's sake use the search function.

AceRoom
2nd July 2010, 09:19 AM
I get annoyed with a lot of people who install wine just to run some Windows apps which have better replacements in Linux. But then again, those people typically tend to use other distros and not Fedora ;)

Lord Honk
2nd July 2010, 09:47 AM
Hehehe, nice point of view there. I personally got into Linux for the same reason I rejoyce every time a warranty for a coffee machine runs out: I like to tinker :D there's nothing more rewarding than just opening up a machine and look at what you were working with all the time. And that's what I'm doing with my software too.

And that's exactly what irks me with windows and (to some extent) mac, the systems are locked and covered for the sake of user accessibility. I know Fedora isn't THE best in that area, and I also like to work with other distros; still, for no reason at all, Fedora is my favorite, warts and all :P

Also, regarding AceRoom's post: I know exactly what you mean. Even from the few people at my uni that use Linux I'm often asked what I do because MS Office doesn't run natively under Linux; seems OOffice isn't so well-known around here.

Another fun fact: I got laughed at (well, not literally) by a professor when I mentioned C and Python in my programming class. If you mention anything else than Java you won't get far with him. *sigh*

All that being said, I hope I'll someday be experienced enough to contribute something really valuable, but I see myself on a good way to get there :)

errorxp
2nd July 2010, 11:47 AM
Quit Wining. Seriously I dislike Wine as well. I want to run native linux apps in linux not the other way around.

Lord Honk
2nd July 2010, 11:59 AM
I didn't see any whining, I think it's CtrlK's right to start a discussion about the differences between Linux and Windows, and how they're operated.

OpenSource is great for many a reason, but for me the best thing about it is, if you don't know how something works or why it doesn't, it's more satisfying (or at least not always as confusing) as the windows help desk :D That is, given that you can read the code.

bob
2nd July 2010, 01:10 PM
Well, there are always "reasons". There are threads about college courses that REQUIRE you to use Office and OpenOffice is not accepted. Therefore, wine is a workaround. Also, let's be honest here, some Windows software is just plain excellent and you hate to give it up or re-learn a critical application (Photoshop vs. Gimp).

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with using whatever works for you in your particular job or personal life. After all, they're just operating systems, not lifestyles. In fact, most people (not me) dual-boot to have it all.

sonoran
2nd July 2010, 01:45 PM
I didn't see any whining, I think it's CtrlK's right to start a discussion about the differences between Linux and Windows, and how they're operated.

Errorxp said "Wining", not "whining." :D

CtrlK
3rd July 2010, 03:10 AM
Bob, you're absolutely right. However, Windows to me is like the tollway. Overpriced, slow and ALWAYS under construction. I only want to pay to use it if I absolutely have to. I believe that most Linux users wouldn't use Windows if they didn't have to. Windows obviously is the main OS you'll find in the work place, and there's no way of getting around it.

The main gist of my original post is that we as a group have the tools and knowledge to create something new. My hopes for Linux are to be able to do things more efficiently and more reliably, WITHOUT mimicking every last detail of Windows software. Innovation over imitation.

kurtdriver
3rd July 2010, 04:26 AM
I rejoyce every time a warranty for a coffee machine runs out: I like to tinker :D there's nothing more rewarding than just opening up a machine and look at what you were working with all the time.

You have my permission to violate all warranties.

seems OOffice isn't so well-known around here.

You may have to remind people that it started in Germany, get the hometown pride going.

Lanzhou - Hungary Photos on Instagram - Singapore Travel Photos on Instagram -