PDA

View Full Version : I'll tell ya what makes me scream!

glennzo
29th June 2010, 12:35 AM
Seeing a post somewhere else claiming that "all you get is flamed" over at Fedora Forum. I think we all do a damned good job of helping everyone, no matter what their or our experience level may be. For that matter, I've even seen members help folks with Windows problems and help with problems with other distributions. I for one think we go out of our way to be welcoming and friendly here.

OK, so we can be a little tough from time to time. I know I've been guilty of more than one un-called-for comment over the years, but all in all I think we're a great bunch here and we deserve a more than a little respect.

There, I feel better now.

Thank you for your time.

Carry on now.

Glenn

Seve
29th June 2010, 12:47 AM
Okay, I promise to stop flaming folks.

Seve

beaker_
29th June 2010, 12:54 AM
Ah go fishing. I watched a nice Salmon roll this morning but it wouldn't take my fly. Now that's frustrating and I have to keep the pool secret till I get him. Argh...

Dan
29th June 2010, 01:19 AM
Okay, I promise to stop flaming folks.

Seve Whew! Glad to hear it! We were getting ready to install asbestos templates!

<..:D..>

Howz it goin' Seve?

forkbomb
29th June 2010, 01:31 AM
Got a link to where somebody said this on another forum? (PM if you can't post it here...)

The only thing I see regarding "flaming" is that I think some folks around here are far too quick to assume that any critic must be a MS shill, and then commence to flaming (whether or not the OP is deserving).

metatron
29th June 2010, 01:38 AM
Funny cause I was just telling someone how out of all the different linux forums for different distros I feel like fedoraforums.org is the most accepting and helpful. That's why even though sometimes I'm quite like the prodigal son here, I call this place my home.

smr54
29th June 2010, 02:11 AM
This is, IMHO, a pretty good forum. You've got some really knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Then, of course, you have people like Tom, who just say, Ask for a refund, har har har.
:D

(For those who don't know us, that's a joke, and Tom is one of the aforesaid knowledgeable people who are always willing to help.)

Actually, Glenn, I've gotta say that I think those who are ticking you off really are in the minority. Most newcomers here seem willing to learn, and even most of the ranters don't seem to take themselves that seriously. (I classify myself as one, and I know I don't take my own rants too seriously.)

forkbomb
29th June 2010, 04:10 AM
Okay, okay. "Ask for a refund" was a bad way to put it. I shoulda said "try one of the other 50 distros." :p

And I wouldn't say "always." ;)

smr54
29th June 2010, 04:14 AM
You're being redundant

You're being redundant.

:D

Also, there *are* more than 50 other distros, although I suspect if you subtract all the ones that are based on Ubuntu, there might not be.

As for my use of the term always, when it only happened once---well, I've told you a million times, I tend to exaggerate.

Whimsically yours.....

CtrlK
30th June 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm going to go ahead and make this my first post ever. This forum has been my number one resource since I started using Fedora.

What really gripes me is when a person has a problem, they make a username and ask a question that has been answered a thousand times. The search function is your best friend most of the time.

Dan
30th June 2010, 11:10 AM
Amen and hallelujah! <..:p..>

Lord Honk
30th June 2010, 11:18 AM
Well, for what my word is worth, I'm thankful for all members of this community for helping me a great deal :)

Of couse it gets tiring to see the same stupid questions from the same stupid people over and over and over and over again, and it's natural to get pissed off by that. But when someone posts a well formulated question and provides whatever information is asked about the problem (what/where/when exactly etc.) I've yet to see a snarky comment just for the sake of it, instead the problems are usually solved in a well-manered and firendly way.

Thanks again for that ;)

Memysabu
30th June 2010, 12:09 PM
Ive seen a couple of guys who flame but the majority do not.

bob
30th June 2010, 12:15 PM
"Flame"? No way! Mock, deride, demean, ignore & laugh at... sure! But "flame"? Nah. :D

Seve
30th June 2010, 10:00 PM
Whew! Glad to hear it! We were getting ready to install asbestos templates!

<..:D..>

Howz it goin' Seve?

It's going fine Dan, how are you ?

Seve

Dan
30th June 2010, 10:26 PM
Meh, one more day on the bright side of the loam. I guess it can't be all that bad.

water spirit
1st July 2010, 09:42 AM
I have been visiting a few forums over the last year, while trying a few different linux distros, and there seems to be a lot of people who hide behind the anonymity of the internet and write things they would not have the guts to say face to face.

Mock, deride, demean I think this was tongue in cheek but happens often on some forums, have not seen it here though.

5hady
3rd July 2010, 05:18 AM
Jeez, and the reason I went with Fedora for my desktop Linux was because of the forum. To each his own...

Nacka Photos on Instagram - Malard Travel Photos on Instagram - Fort Portal Instagram Photos