PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to put similar type of ITEMS together in Fedora 13

deb1bhu
23rd June 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi , since few days I have been trying to put same type of items (rather icons) together, my concept is same like windows where I can put that by right click and
--> arrange icons by --> group,

So folder icons come together, pdf files come together etc etc and there is a separation between any two types of items (icons)

Can I have that facility here too, I am using fedora 13, and when ever I rightclick
unde arrange items --> name type size etc comes
but group by items is missing.

Also here refresh option is missing, what we very much familiar in windows, I know that fedora is not windows, but I think this problem can be solved.

Any help...

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM CDT ----------

Hi every body , I didn't get any update till now, it is not that it can't be done. It is infact I have done it before, but I forget how I did this that time, so I am waiting for your kind co-operatrion.

plz help

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM CDT ----------

hi buddy any update, I know that whatever I want to do it can be done, so plz help me I did it before, but now I forget of how I did that was, I know there must be somebody who can help me.

thanks

tho.mei
23rd June 2010, 07:11 PM
OSX is not Linux...
...Linux is not Windowz, Sorry.
Open your mind.

Dies
24th June 2010, 12:45 AM
If you want a "Windows-like" desktop environment, use KDE.

Also, bumping your post 3 times in half an hour is pointless...

tho.mei
24th June 2010, 11:14 AM
Gome acts in many ways like the old MacOS 9.x.
KDE acts in some ways like Windowz. But it isn't Windows.

To install KDE do the folowing:

1. connect to the internet
2. open a console
3. su -
4. root password
5. yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
6. longin to KDE.

And keep in mind... Linux is not Windowz.

deb1bhu
24th June 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi I have KDE installed in my system, but though , I can't put my files and folders in the same way as it is for windows,

thanks for the info though.

tho.mei
24th June 2010, 06:16 PM
If you like to get a system that work like Windowz, you have to use Windowz.
It is the great advantage of Linux, to be different.

steelaworkn
24th June 2010, 07:25 PM
When I migrated for W-7 to Fedora, I just added some files to the Home directory called, "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", "Music", and "Public". This way, when I moved my files to the the new Fedora system, the migration was smoother. I also added a file called "Templates" which fuels my KOffice and OpenOffice templates I download or create.

Not sure how to make all that automatic. But the manual method doesn't take that much more time. You can also link those special files to your Desktop. You can even design a fancy Icon for your desktop which will access your special files from the Desktop.

In time you will get used to Fedora and forget you ever knew Microsoft or Mac.

Dies
24th June 2010, 07:35 PM
Hi I have KDE installed in my system, but though , I can't put my files and folders in the same way as it is for windows,

thanks for the info though.

You realize I had to reboot to tell you this... :mad: :D

I assume you're using Dolphin.

In the menubar, click on View>Adjust View Properties...

View Mode = "Icons"

Sorting = "Ascending" and "By Type"

Make sure "Show in groups" is checked.

In the section labeled "Apply View Properties To" select "All Folders".

Make sure "Use as default for new folders" is checked.

Edit : Added a screenshot of the settings Window, just in case.

P.S. I think it's hilarious that a GNOME user was willing to help you, while the KDE users simply chose to discourage you. ;)

steelaworkn
24th June 2010, 08:08 PM
You realize I had to reboot to tell you this... :mad: :D

I assume you're using Dolphin.

In the menubar, click on View>Adjust View Properties...

View Mode = "Icons"

Sorting = "Ascending" and "By Type"

Make sure "Show in groups" is checked.

In the section labeled "Apply View Properties To" select "All Folders".

Make sure "Use as default for new folders" is checked.

Edit : Added a screenshot of the settings Window, just in case.

P.S. I think it's hilarious that a GNOME user was willing to help you, while the KDE users simply chose to discourage you. ;)

Nice. Makes my life even easier. Thanks.:D

tho.mei
24th June 2010, 08:25 PM
Hallo Dies

THANX... now I did learn a bout a unknown future. May I'll never use it, but some of my employee will like it.

Dies
24th June 2010, 08:45 PM
Nice. Makes my life even easier. Thanks.:D
Hallo Dies

THANX... now I did learn a bout a unknown future. May I'll never use it, but some of my employee will like it.
Your welcome. ;)

To be honest, I'm just happy that both of you are able to take a friendly jab instead of getting all bent out of shape over it. :)

deb1bhu
24th June 2010, 10:17 PM
@ Dies ...Thanks man you are simply great, i always believe that whatever can be achieve in Windows it can be achieve in Fedora too. That's the beauty of this OS, i have already in the process, to use fedora all the time but for microsoft office, that can't be replaced.

Yeah that's really funny that people sometimes get relax by not to experience new things and they forced others too, I simply just avoid that. I knew that solution has to exist. I just awaited, to get a result and that's you.

however I have one question can't it bedone in gnome desktop.? can I install dophin file manager in genome environment?

I hope you have the answer.
Again thanks for your time and unconditional support.

Dies
24th June 2010, 10:39 PM
As far as I know, Nautilus doesn't have any option to group files that way in icon view, so by default no you can't do it in GNOME.

As far as installing Dolphin in GNOME, sure, you can run any KDE program in GNOME. However, you might find that integration isn't the best.

deb1bhu
24th June 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the guide guys, I really got some insight in fedora.

Quetta Photos on Instagram - West Milford Travel Photos - Mussoorie Photos