PDA

View Full Version : Firefox/download/memory

GoinEasy9
8th May 2010, 05:10 PM
I haven't done much downloading lately, but, with the RC2 out, I wanted to update my iso's. Unfortunately, Firefox froze up on me about 2/3 of the way through a 3GB DVD, and it happened twice. Gkrellm showed memory usage was way up to the top of my 4GB's. Same thing didn't happen with Chrome. So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen with Firefox version 3.6.3-4? I've seen memory leaks with Firefox before, but never to the extent where it caused it to freeze up. All other apps could run around the frozen Firefox, so, a reboot wasn't necessary. Luckily I was able to "X" out and force quit, but everything else in FF was frozen. Force quit dropped memory usage way down.

marko
8th May 2010, 08:39 PM
I haven't done much downloading lately, but, with the RC2 out, I wanted to update my iso's. Unfortunately, Firefox froze up on me about 2/3 of the way through a 3GB DVD, and it happened twice. Gkrellm showed memory usage was way up to the top of my 4GB's. Same thing didn't happen with Chrome. So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen with Firefox version 3.6.3-4? I've seen memory leaks with Firefox before, but never to the extent where it caused it to freeze up. All other apps could run around the frozen Firefox, so, a reboot wasn't necessary. Luckily I was able to "X" out and force quit, but everything else in FF was frozen. Force quit dropped memory usage way down.

For really large files, it might be better to skip the built-in downloader in Firefox and use
a robust command line tool like wget

Click on the file URL, select "Copy Link Location" go to a terminal window and type

wget -c

then paste in the URL after that and get the file via wget -c which has it continue the
file download where it left off if a download problem occurs.

GoinEasy9
8th May 2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback marko.
I've used wget in the past. I have no problems using it. But I've also had no problems using the downloader in Firefox either. If there was significant speed increase, I'd use wget over the downloader, but I haven't noticed any.
Besides, I was looking for an excuse to switch my default browser over to Chrome/Chromium, this problem gave me the opportunity, so, now I get to see how Chrome fares in a busy production environment.

Thiene Photos on Instagram - Ijero-Ekiti - Nguekhokh Photos