PDA

View Full Version : Boot loader not configured properly by setup

AshikagaTakauji
25th April 2010, 06:24 PM
There's a bug in the setup for the Fedora 13 beta, which results in the boot loader not being configured properly.
During the boot loader setup of the installation, I added openSuse to the list and set it as default.
After install was completed and I rebooted, I found that it always instantly loaded the openSuse boot menu, so that I was unable to boot Fedora.
Luckily I know where the boot loader info is stored, so I took a look at the configuration file for the Fedora boot loader and found that the timeout was stupidly set to 0 :eek:
No wonder it wouldn't boot anything but the default that way. After I fixed that error, the Fedora boot menu appeared normally, and I could boot Fedora.

For the final version, you should fix that bug. Less technically minded people are probably unable to find out why they can't boot Fedora.

stoat
25th April 2010, 06:37 PM
That issue is well-known and frequently discussed even before Fedora 13. I think what is happening is this... Anaconda (the Fedora installer) is good at finding an existing Windows system and adding it to the GRUB menu. But it is infamous for ignoring other existing Linux systems. And I believe when there are no other systems added to the GRUB menu, the timeout is set to zero by default. Maybe that would explain your observation after manually adding OpenSUSE to grub.conf. Anyway, most of us here are not involved in the development of Fedora. If you like, you can go to fedoraproject.com and make the suggestion yourself.