PDA

View Full Version : gnome-panel in F14?

Piscium
20th April 2010, 08:13 PM
According to the link below, the GNOME 2.x panel and Metacity (the window manager) will still be available once Gnome 3 is released. Does anybody know what are the plans for F14? Will it be possible to choose between gnome panel and gnome shell?

http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths#GNOME_won.27t_support_the_current_pane l_and_window_manager_anymore_and_I_don.27t_want_to _use_GNOME_Shell

Dies
20th April 2010, 09:19 PM
Will it be possible to choose between gnome panel and gnome shell?

It's already possible to do that.

I suspect not much will change. ;)

smurffit
20th April 2010, 09:28 PM
Well I tested the Gnome Shell yesterday and it's imho really hard to adapt to it.

Piscium
21st April 2010, 08:51 PM
It's already possible to do that.

I suspect not much will change. ;)

Thanks.

My follow-up question is if the installer on the F14 live CD will offer the user the choice between gnome shell and gnome panel?

I have nothing against gnome-shell. I have not even tried it. It is just that for some things I am conservative, so probably will want to wait for gnome 3.02 before using gnome-shell, to allow time for the technology to mature, applets to be developed, and so on.

GoinEasy9
22nd April 2010, 05:38 AM
Is anyone having any luck running Gnome-Shell with the experimental nouveau drivers? Or am I going to have to install a Nvidia binary blob to get it going? I was really hoping to do without, but I want to see what Gnome-Shell looks like, so ... advice? Desktop Effects show the Gnome Shell choice with nouveau, but, switching to it has no effect. It seems like it's trying to do something, but, it reverts back to 2D.

Zenica Travel Photos - Puma - Otradnyy Photos