PDA

View Full Version : How to disable nouveau and use binary NVIDIA from nvidia.com

johabba
18th April 2010, 12:27 PM
How can I disable nouveau?

I have tried 'rdblacklist=nouveau' in /etc/grub.conf. tried 'blacklist nouveau' in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Tried nomodules in /etc/grub.conf too....

How can I get the kernel sources so that I can install the NVIDIA driver from nvidia.com (and other drivers)?

I would like to use the the NVIDIA driver from nvidia.com and not an rpm. I have other drivers that require kernel soruces. I have tried installing kernel-devel but the kernel sources are not found in /usr/src/linux

------

I have used RedHat linux since 7.1. I have used Fedora since FC7.

Is there a new process to blacklist a driver? Why does nouveau continue to auto load. We should have the option of using it DURING INSTALL or not if it does not respect common modprobe files for blacklisting.

The same process of installing kernel-devel and downloading 3rd party drivers to build against it has worked for a really long time. Are kernel sources no longer provided in Fedora?

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM CDT ----------

yum erase xorg-x11-drv-nouveau...
reboot.....

nouveau still loads............................................. .......

YeOK
18th April 2010, 01:03 PM
Have you read this thread ?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=240860

johabba
19th April 2010, 10:25 PM
Yes I have read that post and many like it suggesting to use or build a rpm to install nvidia drivers.

I may explore that route, but my issue is not about installing nvidia drivers though it is related. If I follow that method, I may have nvidia drivers but I will still have a problem with other drivers.

1. I'm looking for a way to boot my system to runlevel 3 and not have nouveau loaded. No framebuffer. Nothing but a plain old TTY.

2. I'm looking for kernel sources provided by fedora so that I can build/install third party drivers against it. I will use this for the proprietary driver from nvidia.com and other open and closed drivers that need kernel sources.

3. The method I have been using to accomplish the above in FC7 - FC12 and RH7.1 - RH 9 - RHEL 5.5 has been to install kernel-devel.rpm, install kernel-headers.rpm, and add 'rdblacklist=nouveau 3' to the end of my kernel line via grub (added to kernel line to a running grub after reboot. not added permanently to grub.conf). I also add 'blacklist nouveau' to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

Hlingler
19th April 2010, 10:30 PM
Refer: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234595
That's F12, but should provide a start.

Note that you must re-build your initramfs['s] to purge 'nouveau'.

Installing kernel-devel should be as simple as:
su
yum install kernel-devel

Not sure why that would not be found - unless it does not match running kernel?

HTH,
V

johabba
19th April 2010, 10:44 PM
Kernel-devel.rpm is found and installed no problem. When I run the script to install nvidia driver it says it cannot find the sources.

I'm going to try a reinstall and try to rebuild the initramfs. I'm not sure if I've done that before, but hopefully that is what's missing. If I rebuild the initramfs, would I need to do that every kernel update? I definitely don't rebuild initramfs's every kernel, but it could be something I did initially and forgot.

Thanks for the tip!

Hlingler
19th April 2010, 10:49 PM
When I run the script to install nvidia driver it says it cannot find the sources.If version-release matches running kernel, then I have no idea why that would be so.If I rebuild the initramfs, would I need to do that every kernel update?No, not so far as I know: once black-listed, it shouldn't be included in any new initramfs's.

V

P.S. Note also that lernel-PAE-devel is NOT the same as kernel-devel. Are you running a PAE kernel? Post:
uname -r

Ottawa Instagram Photos - Beirut - Abuja Photos on Instagram -