PDA

View Full Version : Couple of FC2 problems i have..

CooLMaN
24th May 2004, 01:55 PM
Hey,
I've got some problems has to be fixed, if someone can help me - it will be great .

1. I have sound, but i get a hissing sound from the left earphone. and its not the earphones ( checked with MS XP ) .

2. No Hebrew, Well yea I'm an Hebrew writer ( Israel ), and i installed Hebrew fonts now i can see Hebrew but i cannot write Hebrew, i tried using the" Start Here -> Regional and accessibility - > Keyboard Layout "
I "V" the "Enable Keyboard layouts" checkbox, i was going right ahead for the "Key Board model" Drop down, but i found out there is not even 1 Keyboard model to choose :eek: !

3. I installed Fedora from the "boot.iso" image ( using net install ), and i finished installing and now i wanna add packages, so without knowing too much i step forward and click : " System Settings - > Add/Remove Applications " then i added the applications i want, choose the button " Update " .. and without even noticing i see he is asking for the Fedora Cd's ! which i do not possest, So how can i make the Add/Remove feature install the applications from the net ?

4. My Computer is connected directly to the internet using a network card, i have a second network card ( eth1 ) who is connected to my sister computer, my sister computer has Windows XP Professional installed on him, how can i make my sister computer surf the net with out any problems?
( if i switch to XP right now, it will work like a charm )

Thanks ALL !
Gil.

ilja
24th May 2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by CooLMaN
Hey,
I've got some problems has to be fixed, if someone can help me - it will be great .

1. I have sound, but i get a hissing sound from the left earphone. and its not the earphones ( checked with MS XP ) .

I've got the same problem. My solution was to start alsamixer and mute all things till the odd sound disapeared. The problem for me was sth called IEC958. When I muted it, I never got this sound again.

2. No Hebrew, Well yea I'm an Hebrew writer ( Israel ), and i installed Hebrew fonts now i can see Hebrew but i cannot write Hebrew,

If you use Gnome then there is a panel element to change the keyboard layout. I don't know it's English name, it should be something like keyboardindicator. You add it, through right-clicking on the panel with mouse then Add to the panel ---> Utility-->. It has a
Russian and another red flag as symbol. There you can add keyboard layout in the options.

3. I installed Fedora from the "boot.iso" image ( using net install ), and i finished installing and now i wanna add packages, so without knowing too much i step forward and click : " System Settings - > Add/Remove Applications " then i added the applications i want, choose the button " Update " .. and without even noticing i see he is asking for the Fedora Cd's ! which i do not possest, So how can i make the Add/Remove feature install the applications from the net ?

The best thing is to use yum or apt to install applications from Web. Just forget about Add/Remove application. There is a plenty of information about it on the net e.g. http://fedoranews.org/tchung/howto/2003-11-09-yum-intro.shtml

4. My Computer is connected directly to the internet using a network card, i have a second network card ( eth1 ) who is connected to my sister computer, my sister computer has Windows XP Professional installed on him, how can i make my sister computer surf the net with out any problems?
( if i switch to XP right now, it will work like a charm )

There are different ways to make sth like that. I would install a proxy like squid (http://www.fedoratracker.org/tracker.py?mode=pkgSearchCommit&package.name_regex=1&package.name=squid&repo.version=2&package.arch=!src&repo.description=!unstable%20!bleeding%20!testing&actionID=6599&iteration=2) on your computer.

CooLMaN
24th May 2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks!
BTW, im using KDE..

gil.

ilja
24th May 2004, 02:27 PM
In KDE i've searched for a layout changer for keyboards, but I've never found it. But maybe there is one.

CooLMaN
24th May 2004, 06:15 PM
hey,
I'm working with KDE for years.. and yes there is a layout changer for keyboards !

gil.