PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 13 KDE Live CD vs. DVD (x64 Division)

PGHammer
15th March 2010, 05:05 AM
Earlier I had been running Fedora 13 alpha installed via the KDE live DVD (which is my preference); to further the testing, I tried the DVD.

First off, the DVD installs GNOME (not KDE) by default, so I'll have to wait as far as KDE testing goes.

Second, unlike KDE, GNOME has pretty much stayed put, by deliberately avoiding the raucousness that was KDE 3 vs. KDE 4 (as GNOME had already gone through something similar in the Great Qt Feud).

Lastly, unlike KDE, GNOME has no real compositing alternative to compiz (which has KWin).

I'm in the early stages of things, and will be posting followups as additions to this post.

I did manage to add KDE (and got past the hangups adding multimedia support to both GNOME and KDE; mostly due to bad or missing keys for specific dependencies - I wound up installing the problem dependencies separately).

I'm in KDE 4.4.1 right now, and preparing to reinstall compiz.

I've just reinstalled compiz, and while it is slower, it's somewhat more stable with effects active than KWin; even better, I can switch between them and use whichever suits the task.

GoinEasy9
15th March 2010, 07:16 AM
During the install on the Live DVD on the screen where you enable repos, on the bottom if you check the box you can modify packages. After clicking next, it allows you to choose to enable or disable certain packages that are going to be installed. You could switch Gnome to KDE there.

rockdoctor
15th March 2010, 01:49 PM
Lastly, unlike KDE, GNOME has no real compositing alternative to compiz (which has KWin).
There's always metacity :p
gconftool-2 --get-type /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager
bool

PGHammer
15th March 2010, 03:07 PM
There's always metacity :p
gconftool-2 --get-type /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager
bool

And I wouldn't inflict metacity on my worst enemy if compiz works on their hardware (yes, it's that awful).

So unlike KWin, which has actually become a solid alternative to compiz with KDE.

dwightpaige79
16th March 2010, 12:04 AM
During the install on the Live DVD on the screen where you enable repos, on the bottom if you check the box you can modify packages. After clicking next, it allows you to choose to enable or disable certain packages that are going to be installed. You could switch Gnome to KDE there.

I've done this a number of times in F 12 and DVD does install a KDE version of Fedora 12 with no need to change desktop or desktop manager.

rockdoctor
16th March 2010, 02:11 AM
And I wouldn't inflict metacity on my worst enemy if compiz works on their hardware (yes, it's that awful).

So unlike KWin, which has actually become a solid alternative to compiz with KDE.
I don't run KDE, so I ask this out of ignorance, is metacity installed when you install KDE from a live iso? <OT rant>It's present in the default LXDE spin and I find that extremely annoying - I only need onewm, and for LXDE, it's openbox by default. Why any system configuration package should depend specifically on metacity is beyond my efforts to comprehend. </OT rant>

Simian Man
16th March 2010, 03:12 AM
I don't run KDE, so I ask this out of ignorance, is metacity installed when you install KDE from a live iso? <OT rant>It's present in the default LXDE spin and I find that extremely annoying - I only need onewm, and for LXDE, it's openbox by default. Why any system configuration package should depend specifically on metacity is beyond my efforts to comprehend. </OT rant>

Metacity is installed with the Xfce and LXDE spins because it is a dependency of gdm. KDE uses kdm so no dependency. You can remove Metacity if you go to another DM like Slim which works well with lighter desktops.

Suwa Travel Photos on Instagram - Dreieich - Bathgate