PDA

View Full Version : wireless keeps disconnecting

foolishms
9th March 2010, 08:47 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running Fedora 12. Recently my wireless connection has begun dropping every few hours and not reconnecting. After trying for about 30-45 seconds, the WPA password prompt comes up but still doesn't connect. Can someone advise what could be causing this?

Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
Kernel Linux 2.6.32.9-67.fc12.i686
GNOME 2.28.2
Memory: 2.0 GB
Processor: Intel Pentium R 1.60 GHz

Hobashira
9th March 2010, 10:24 AM
I have exactly the same problem on a laptop Asus M70Vn running Fedora 12. It dual boots with Windoze 7 and the funny thing is that I have no connection problem with Win7 where the signal is strong, over 90% all the time.

With Fedora, the signal very often drops to 25%. Once in a while, I get disconnected and get the WPA password prompt but the system cannot reconnect. I have to reboot to get my connection back. My WLAN adapter is an Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5100.

Now, you may laugh at this but I have noticed that when my cell phone is too close to my laptop, the signal drops. If I remove my cell phone from the computer, I do not lose the connection. :confused:

Darran
9th March 2010, 06:48 PM
I too am having this same problem though my wireless simply cuts out at random and will reconnect at random, rarely asking for my password, I notice it more when im downloading files, it took me 7 attemps to get ooffice downloaded properly, as it would cut out, and by the time it had reconnected the d/l had failed.

Anyone got any ideas?

Using a
Compaq Presario CQ-60 114EM
Fedora 12

aniketv
9th March 2010, 07:11 PM
everyone.. please always mention what wifi adaptor you are using so that its easy to pinpoint the issues.

Flyinace1
11th March 2010, 12:42 AM
I am having a similar problem where my wireless loses connection within 30 mins. It auto connects and works fine at first, but then just loses the connection even when it is strong. It will prompt for the password a few times before giving up. When I click the network manager, it shows that it still detects the sigmal but it won't connect again until I reboot. I haven't had any problems when I use windows

I am running F12 KDE 64-bit on a Gateway NV52 off of an external hard drive
with an Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
I am running windows vista home premium off of the internal hard drive

I am new at Linux and have only had it installed for a week

aniketv
11th March 2010, 12:59 AM
atheros drivers in the fedora kernel have been unstable for me too..

go to http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 and take the latest compat wireless daily package and use it.

before doing "make" , do "./scripts/driver-select ath" in the source directory to reduce compile time.

After using these latest driver builds, my connection (on Atheros9280 - ath9k card) has become very stable.

Flyinace1
11th March 2010, 01:18 AM
before doing "make" , do "./scripts/driver-select ath" in the source directory to reduce compile time.

what exactly does this mean and where do I input it?
thanx

aniketv
11th March 2010, 06:14 AM
you download the driver source file I linked, then extract the tar.bz2 file and from a terminal, "cd" to the directory.

then run

1]./scripts/driver-select ath

2]make

3]su -c "make install"

and then reboot. The new driver will be loaded on next boot and hopefully you will not have any more disconnections!

Hobashira
12th March 2010, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately I did not make a note of all the latest 102 updates which I just installed (F12) but the problem appears to have been solved, although I cannot say what specific update did it.

My wifi signal stays over 80% all the time.

Has anybody else noticed the same thing?

leigh123linux
12th March 2010, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately I did not make a note of all the latest 102 updates which I just installed (F12) but the problem appears to have been solved, although I cannot say what specific update did it.

My wifi signal stays over 80% all the time.

Has anybody else noticed the same thing?

My atheros card didn't work properly till I updated to the 2.6.32 kernel .

tuxmanbr
3rd April 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Fellows.

I have the same problem as you mentioned hear. I'm running a Fedora Core 12 x64_86 box and my wireless card is a Realtek 8187.
Despite the last updates (made today, 04/03/2010) the problem still buging me.
I've search at Google and found a lot of people with the same situation. As I could see, the bug is tide to NetworkManager. Those user who change to wicd, got their problem solved.
Anyone have made this change or got the problem solved for Reatletk 8187 cards?

Best regards,

Marlos

P.S. Sorry for my poor english.

tsangcn
4th April 2010, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I have similar problem when I am using kernel-2.6.32.10-90.fc12.x86_64.
The problem is gone when I switch back to kernel-2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64.
I have the problem after I have done "yum update" on 3/30/2010.

I am using Thinkpad X61 with Intel 4965.
gnome 2.28.2
NetworkManager-0.7.998

tuxmanbr
4th April 2010, 06:57 PM
Well... No changing for me. Switch from NetworkManager to Wicd has no effect. I still keep disconnecting at random times (specially when downloading something). Kernel version apparently doesn't matter....

clavan
4th April 2010, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I have similar problem when I am using kernel-2.6.32.10-90.fc12.x86_64.
The problem is gone when I switch back to kernel-2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64.
I have the problem after I have done "yum update" on 3/30/2010.

I am using Thinkpad X61 with Intel 4965.
gnome 2.28.2
NetworkManager-0.7.998

Exactly the same problem (and date) here,

Thanks for advose I will give the switch to the older kernel kernel-2.6.32.9-70 a try...

HypnoToad
5th April 2010, 07:48 PM
What kind of security are you guys running on your wireless? I was having the same problem until I disabled WEP. I live out in the sticks, so somebody would have to be sitting in my yard to hijack my LAN. As such, I'm not too worried about my wireless privacy. From what I've read WEP isn't that hard to get around anyway.

clavan
5th April 2010, 08:47 PM
What kind of security are you guys running on your wireless? I was having the same problem until I disabled WEP. I live out in the sticks, so somebody would have to be sitting in my yard to hijack my LAN. As such, I'm not too worried about my wireless privacy. From what I've read WEP isn't that hard to get around anyway.

I' ve made a switch to a older kernel kernel-2.6.32.9-70 and that solved my problem.
The wireless security, is not the issue, So advise wait for a newer kenrnel and do NOT use the 2.6.32.10-90

Regards
clavan

PS: use a newer wireless security, and do not use WEP

tsangcn
13th April 2010, 08:12 AM
I have no problem using kernel-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64

clavan
13th April 2010, 06:29 PM
I have no problem using kernel-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64

Same here, no problems at all.
As I earlier said change year kernel do not use kernel kernel-2.6.32.9-70

Regards
Clavan

robertp1984
13th April 2010, 08:00 PM
I got exactly the same problem with Fedora 12, knetworkmanager, WPA2, wireless adapter BCM4312 and router Linksys WAG54G2. I think that in my case this is a fault of the router because I had the same problem on other laptop (Dell with Windows XP) at the same time.

soley
15th April 2010, 11:46 AM
I was having this issue until today when I finally got tired of it. Running an Atheros AR9285 kept giving me random breaks in wireless causing me to have to reboot. It did it 3 times in the span of about 2 hours today which I just got tired of. I went to kernel.org & got the latest stable kernel (2.6.33.2) & compiled it. I've been running it for about 8 hours now & haven't had any issues. I've also noticed that my laptop's fan isn't running nearly as often as it was with 2.6.32.11-99 & that my laptop is actually cooler.

I'm not saying, "zomg go compile this kernel now!!11" But I'll let you know how it goes in the next couple days.

jmcc2950
29th May 2010, 01:34 PM
I too have the same disconnect problems. Am running kernel 2..32.12-115.fc12.i686PAE. Linksys card w/ Broadcom chipset. Seems to have happened after one of last 2 kernel updates. Will boot up fine & connect then sometimes drops out without doing anything but seems to happen even more when downloading(I'm trying to download F13 right now & it keeps disconnecting). Reboot does reconnect it but I can also disable then enable wireless & it will reconnect. It also prompts for password for router even though it's already programmed. I'm hoping F13 takes care of it.

Zanpactou
29th May 2010, 01:44 PM
Yep, got this problem too. Something is wrong with something and there is no way I know; to find out what, without spending a whole day trying things out.
Random disconnects without good reason, without moving the wireless adapter.

jvalleroy
29th May 2010, 05:50 PM
I am also having disconnect problems with a fresh install of Fedora 13 x64. I have a AR5BXB63, which IIRC has a AR5006EG chipset. Running kernel 2.6.33.4-95.

uray
29th May 2010, 07:35 PM
i have problem too, fedora 13 fresh install, kernel 2.6.33.3-85 i686. and same problem with fedora 12 i686 and x64... been one year and no fix.

uray
30th May 2010, 05:30 PM
solved by replacing NetworkManager with wicd

mtxRooster
4th October 2010, 05:06 PM
atheros drivers in the fedora kernel have been unstable for me too..

go to http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 and take the latest compat wireless daily package and use it.

After using these latest driver builds, my connection (on Atheros9280 - ath9k card) has become very stable.

Is this for wireless across the board, or only Atheros chips? I've got a Linksys USB dongle (at work can't get exact model atm) plugged into F11 server and experience the same 'random' cutouts.. It'll work fine for awhile, then all of a sudden for no reason, poof, says it's connected still, cannot connect to it from other PC's.. (no ssh, no vnc, no mysql access, nothing). Then, later, could be an hour, could be 5, it'll work again. Other sites mentioned enabling for all users as a form of 'keep alive', and I've even disabled screensaving/power saving, and disabled locking the screen on the user logged in locally to it, thinking maybe that was messing it up.

aniketv
4th October 2010, 05:52 PM
This may also apply to other wireless chips. It's worth it to try the newer drivers and it's easy to uninstall them if anything goes wrong.If you don't know what wireless chip your dongle uses, skip the driver-select part , it will compile all the drivers it has .

arcsecant
4th October 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm having the same issue in fc13 right now, been waiting for a kernel update.

I have this issue every time my Thinkpad T61 suspends or hibernates, and every hour or two when I'm connected at school (not at home, for some reason) - my home connection is WPA, and the school connection is WPA-Enterprise, PEAP, MSChapV2. I have to ignore the warnings that I don't have a certificate authority for the school connection, and when the connection dies I keep getting that message from network manager.

I'll add my current kernel version when I get home.

mtxRooster
5th October 2010, 12:29 AM
Well did as you said back on the 1s page - installed properly (even grabbed the rc5/latest/greatest), but sadly my system did the same thing.. Rebooted, worked fine for a little while, then poof. No internet. Any other ideas by chance? Does anyone think or have proof by chance that having a PAE kernel could be the problem? PAE is largely the reason I can't utilize my ati rage card, the liveCD installed the PAE kernel, but my machine cannot make any use of it's extended features.. Someone on the ATI thread suggested removing/replacing the kernel, but I had no idea how to do such a thing, and really, for the minimal use 'locally' the server will get, it just wasn't worth it. If it would make this wireless usb dongle work without fail, however, I'd be willing to strap on the reading goggles and say some prayers of hope, hehe :)

bystander
3rd November 2010, 09:14 PM
I have this same problem. I have a Dell D610 w/ Intel 2915ABG PRO/Wireless. I did a default install of F14 from iso. The wireless connection works fine for some time and then disconnects. I have discovered that I can get it back by disabling the network and re-enabling it. The network automatically recognizes the wireless and reconnects. Suggestions?

vijaysingh0507
26th February 2011, 07:09 PM
I am having a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Fedora 13. My wireless connection works fine with Windows 7 and ubuntu. However with Fedora it is very disturbing. After reboot wireless will connect and will disconnect after few seconds. If I turn off and then turn on my wireless adapter it will again connect to the router. It will again disconnect after few seconds. This cycle repeats itself again and again and after several attempts or by power cycling my router and modem Fedora will make a stable connection.

Can't figure out whether the problem is with the router or fedora.

One more thing to note here is that If a stable connection is made by fedora. next time if I use Windows 7 it will not even detect my wireless adapter. I have to restart my computer after booting windows 7 and then magically it will detect my wireless adapter.

Windows 7 and ubuntu give no problem with wireless adapter. But Fedora shows some weird behavior.

I had same problem with ubuntu too but some update fixed it for good. God please send a fedora update too that will solve the problem.:p:D

stoat
27th February 2011, 02:34 AM
Well first, I'm not going to read all of the preceding old posts to see what people have been talking about here. And next, you didn't mention anything about your wireless device or chipset. But since the computer is a Dell, there is a good chance that it's a Broadcom chipset and using the broadcom-wl driver.

You can try disabling power management for the wireless card and see what happens. I got that idea from the Debian wl wiki (see "Known issues" near the end)...http://wiki.debian.org/wlIf you decide to try that and it works, then you should return here to tell about it because people complain about these wireless disconnects all the time.

rstanfield
27th February 2011, 07:12 PM
I have the same problem.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron e1405 with b43-openfwwf
Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

It is only a slight annoyance though. If I disable the wireless with the Fn key and re-enable it works fine. If you click NetworkManager it displays all networks but they won't connect. I previously had Ubuntu and the STA driver and never had this issue. I can't figure out how to install the STA on here with RPMFusion so I can't determine if the firmware is related.

Just my 2 cents:D

vijaysingh0507
3rd March 2011, 05:30 PM
@Stoat...Power Management didn't seem to be a problem. Power management was already turned off.
My problem is solved by an update from Fedora. The update was for the DNS client(bind-libs and bind-utils). Will report back If I face the issue again.
Loving Fedora like anything now. This was the only thing preventing me from abandoning Windows 7. Sorry Bill!

Output of iwconfig is:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"Mohit"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:22:75:C9:D4:99
Bit Rate=48 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-19 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

thund3rstruck
28th March 2011, 02:23 AM
I've having the same disconnect problems. It's getting really frustrating now. The wireless connects no problem and runs fine until I try to download anything, then it suddenly dies. Sometimes I get a 'kernel' crash warning and some times I don't. yum install <anypkg> always causing wireless to die. Pressing the wifi button off and then on again reconnects the wifi. This is the only wireless machine on the network having problems.

Fedora 14
2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g]
Linksys WRT54G ->WPA2 Personal

stoat
28th March 2011, 02:45 AM
That device should be using the b43 driver module. If you didn't install the firmware, then it's using firmware provided by the b43-openfwwf package. One thing to try is proprietary Broadcom firmware that you extract from a Broadcom driver tarball using b43-fwcutter. Or vice versa if you did install the proprietary firmware. That's about the only thing that I know to change for it. If you're really fed up with it, you can give ndiswrapper and a Windows driver a go. I used that with my Broadcom BCM4306 cards for a long time before there was a b43 (or bcm43xx before that). No promises for either of those ideas. Details available for all of the above but omitted for now in case you're not interested. If you can do it, try another channel on the router. Is the signal strength good when it's connected? If not try something different related to the antenna or the relative locations of the device and the access point.

thund3rstruck
28th March 2011, 03:55 PM
One thing to try is proprietary Broadcom firmware that you extract from a Broadcom driver tarball using b43-fwcutter.

The driver is the out of the box one installed with Fedora. I'll research this one for sure and see if it resolves the problem!

you can give ndiswrapper and a Windows driver a go. I used that with my Broadcom BCM4306 cards for a long time before there was a b43 (or bcm43xx before that).

I'll give that a try if I can't get the previous option to work. You wouldn't, by chance, have a link to a good howto?

If you can do it, try another channel on the router. Is the signal strength good when it's connected? If not try something different related to the antenna or the relative locations of the device and the access point.

The infrastructure is solid. I always have 100% signal strength on all my machines and the Fedora laptop is the only one with the problem. It's gotten so bad that I ran an ethernet wire all the way down to my living room to use anytime I need to download file or use YUM on this laptop since I can't rely on the wireless to not die anytime a download is about half way through.

stoat
28th March 2011, 04:30 PM
Okay. The firmware provided by the b43-openfwwf package included with Fedora nowadays is open source firmware that works for a few Broadcom chipsets. Yours is one of them. But if you want to try the proprietary Broadcom firmware, then you can read how to do it in the Broadcom wireless HOWTO here. If you still have that wire connection to the Internet for the computer to do its own downloads, then see the steps in the section on the b43 driver. That BCM4318 chipset probably needs the version 4 firmware, but the HOWTO describes how to determine that. And if you don't have a wire connection, then skip the wget step and manually download the tarball file from OpenWrt using another computer. Transfer the tarball to the wireless computer and continue on with the tar and b43-fwcutter steps...http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239922No promises at all for this firmware idea.

If you decide to try ndiswrapper at some point, then the steps for that are described in that same HOWTO.

thund3rstruck
29th March 2011, 02:12 AM
No promises at all for this firmware idea.

Of course :). I'll give it a shot when I get off work tonight! Thanks a ton for the ideas!

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Knock on wood.. it seems that installing version 4 fw has solved the problem! I downloaded several files and browsed for over an hour without any random disconnects what so ever. Thanks; that guide was outstanding!

stoat
29th March 2011, 02:34 AM
Very well.

When you are sure of the answer either way, and if you are willing, then return here one more time to report the answer. It's a small thing, and the BCM4318 isn't discussed here much, but it's an important addition to the record IMO.

omelette
4th April 2011, 05:08 AM
So I'm not alone in my suffering!!!

I opened another thread a few weeks ago about this, as I didn't find this one in my search then. There seems to be a reoccurring theme regarding Dell here - I also have a Dell notebook that drops the network for no reason after about 24hrs. Booting any of the 3 kernels still installed makes no difference, so it doesn't appear to be kernel-specific. It worked perfectly with fc13 and the fc14 seemed to work fine initially.

Having been 100% LInux-powered for about 5 years now, I think it's great. It's major Achilles-heel are introduced bugs like this - I have already had to switch (twice!) from Ubuntu for a nasty introduced memory-leak, once from TinyMe (just unusable!) and now it appears after 1.5 years with Fedora, from fc14. A year with Debian Lenny was to only one I wasn't forced to move from, but NetworkManager didn't work and I hated the KDE desktop. All these updates Linux introduces have a real downside...

lightman47
4th April 2011, 04:48 PM
I have same problems (even with my new Intel card) in my Vaio VGN-NR110E. Interestingly, happens in both Fedora and Windows - always has. Also tried USB cards and sometimes happened with them. I read somewhere was a bug having to do with encrypted networks. I believe it. I get dropped more frequently on my WPA at home, but rarely at the open Dunkin Donuts hot spot in town.

omelette
4th April 2011, 09:09 PM
It's interesting you mention problems with your Intel card, mine also has an Intel chipset, and the memory-leak I alluded to above with Ubuntu was directly related to this as well - all memory, ram and swap would be filled up, followed by it crashing after about 8hrs. A few not-so-polite individuals on the Ubuntu forum criticised my for daring to blame the platform, but after a lot of searching, I discovered that it was indeed a known-bug, it's just that it was hardware-specific, so not that many came across it - and the hardware in question was the Intel wireless card!

I presume you are referring to WEP when you talk about encrypted networks. I have never had a problem with WEP, but having decided that WPA was more secure, I resolved to get it up and running - and failed miserably! From what I could find out then (2 years ago) it's very hard to impossible to get working on Linux as there is not even a complete implementation available! I remember also trying to get it working with XP way back and failed then as well...

The current problem definitely seems to be driver-related. Although there has been a few NetworkManager updates since the the problem began, any hope that they would correct the problem have been dashed so far. The really annoying thing is that the only way I can correct the problem is to reboot, which just isn't good enough! I discovered yesterday that cable-networking is not effected, so it seems to be confined to wireless.

bizar
6th April 2011, 10:31 PM
I have the same problem with open security, after I set-up a WEP 40/128-bit KEY (HEX or ASCII) the problem has disappear.

Good Luck!!!

December
16th April 2011, 03:37 PM
I've been having the same problem for years.. I have 3 different wireless card (all USB), all of them work fine for a while then drop the connection.. this happened on F13 and continues to happen on F14. The cards also don't reconnect by themselves.. there is a popup asking for the password (even though it's already filled in).. and sometimes even clicking OK in that doesn't work (connection still shows 'Waiting for Authorization"). I have 2 routers (one Linksys, one Level One), happens with all combinations of card / router I could try.

I literally spent days trying different drivers, NDISWrapper, Power management, different security etc etc and never got it working. The ugly ethernet cable across my living room is still there.. so if anyone has any good ideas on solving I would be most grateful.

Generic RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link TL-WN821N v2 [Atheros AR9001U-(2)NG]
Level 1 WNC-0305USB (Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter)

The fact that I have tried so many variations really makes me think the problem is not in the drivers..

Note: I only upgraded to F14 a few days ago, and can now report that the problem is significantly WORSE then it was in F13.. previously I was able to keep a reasonably stable connection with the RTL8191S and NDISWrapper, just occasionally having to click OK on the password popup a few times a day.. now even that doesn't connect anymore. Once the connection drops, only a reboot seems to get it back.

How is it that Wirless networking actually keeps getting worse with each new Fedora release!!!!

omelette
17th April 2011, 02:57 AM
I've just got 2 PC's, the Dell laptop with Fedora 14, and a mini-pc with Ubuntu 10.04, both run 24/7. The Ubuntu/mini-pc is used as a wireless server for broadband and has never had a dropping-wireless problem. What does happen with it is that I often have to physically remove and reinsert the USB 3G modem, but this appears to be a problem with the modem, not Ubuntu. As I said already, I never had a problem with Fedora 13, again, running 24/7, and initially had no problem when I upgraded to 14. But it's pretty much constant now! At first I thought the problem was time-based, maybe a result of the driver having to renew its network address or something, but it seems to happen at random, it could be an hour or it might go for a few days.

Wouldn't you know it, as I was typing this, down goes the wireless, up comes the password prompt!!!

And nothing will do but to reboot the pc. I saved this text before resetting, but was really surprised to find that FF4 saved & reloaded the text as well. Someone mentioned that they only need to switch the wireless off/on manually but having an identical kill-switch, I can say that for me it doesn't work! Unless I find a solution soon, I will be switching back to Ubuntu.

motnahp00
17th April 2011, 03:59 AM
I have the same problem with open security, after I set-up a WEP 40/128-bit KEY (HEX or ASCII) the problem has disappear.

Good Luck!!!

I'm having the same problem with my wireless continuously disconnecting. I finally gave into running a cable to my switch. :mad:

Setting up a WEP key is a terrible resolution. :eek:

December
19th April 2011, 04:36 AM
I can verify that the same happens when I use Wicd instead of KNetworkManager. I guess wireless just doesn't work in F14 at all, at least for me and all the other people on this thread.

I've always wondered what Ubunto does different to Fedora, since Wireless seems to work out of the box there with a wide range of devices.. since it's all open source, can't Fedora do the same? The number 1 complain when I get friends who are on Ubuntu to try Fedora is "Couldn't get my Wireless working". If I (a seasoned Fedora users) can't either, what chance does a new users have?

thund3rstruck
19th April 2011, 04:48 AM
I guess wireless just doesn't work in F14 at all, at least for me and all the other people on this thread.

My wireless kept disconnecting every few minutes and it wouldn't reconnect without turning the wireless device on and off. Then I followed these steps (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1456225&postcount=38) and everything worked perfectly since.

Last night I decided to wipe this machine and install Fedora 14 XFCE Spin, since the gnome version was just too slow and laggy for this old Acer Laptop and guess what.. exact same wireless problem. This time though I did a little more digging and I discovered that SELinux was blocking the WPA kernel module every time it tries to re-authenticate. I had to actually set SELinux to permissive mode in /etc/selinux/config to prevent this (I don't know enough about Fedora or SELinux yet to create a custom rule to allow the wpa_supplicant kernel access)

Now I'm wondering if there is an officially documented bug in Fedora where SELinux continuously blocks the wpa_supplicant from being able to re-authenticate?

fibster
19th April 2011, 05:36 AM
I can verify that the same happens when I use Wicd instead of KNetworkManager. I guess wireless just doesn't work in F14 at all, at least for me and all the other people on this thread.

I've always wondered what Ubunto does different to Fedora, since Wireless seems to work out of the box there with a wide range of devices.. since it's all open source, can't Fedora do the same? The number 1 complain when I get friends who are on Ubuntu to try Fedora is "Couldn't get my Wireless working". If I (a seasoned Fedora users) can't either, what chance does a new users have?

Hmm I have yet to have a problem with fedora 14, ubuntu with unity fails to start all the time and will kick me off if i am downloading a torrent, but fedora been rock solid.

December
21st April 2011, 03:10 PM
Which USB wirless card are you using.. I've been trying to find a reliable one for years that would work well under Fedora? Kernel drivers or NDISWrapper? KNetworkManager or another program?

December
19th May 2011, 06:17 AM
Well, sadly networking seems to keep getting worse. After a recent update, my wired networking is screwed too now.

I get a connection (wired or wireless), it all works great.. but after a few minutes it starts to slow down more and more, eventually taking minutes to load any web page (even my routers setup page). My android phone has no problem connecting on the same router, so I know that the problems must be in Fedora. Eventually networking stops working completely (even trying to connect to Apache running on localhost doesn't work.. WTF!!!!! That doesn't even go through any interface except loopback).

Reboot sometimes works, usually wireless reports "Connection Failed, Bad Password" even though pulling out the card and putting it back 4 or 5 times will actually get a connection without changing the password (so it's obviously correct, wpa_supplicant must be screwing up).

Back to pen & paper mail I guess.. hopefully one day Fedora will have this new-fangled internetz too!

mtxRooster
19th May 2011, 07:54 AM
So, what's the general populations opinion/thoughts on this? I've had this problem with every version of Fedora out there for a couple years now (last post on this particular topic was back on Oct 2010), but it makes me wonder..

Is it just a driver issue that developers can't lick/crack/solve/make work, is it a core Fedora issue? I mean, it's not the hardware, works on Windows, mind you that's with Linksys' drivers, well even with MS's base drivers in many cases, actually.. Anyway, I was just wondering, do other usb devices suffer this same fate, or are they more flawless (or, at least WORK) better and not drop connection randomly..

FWIW - I gave up on this long ago, though I still have the adapter. My solution was going to the Goodwill (any thrift store will do), and picking up a used wrt54g, which I then flashed into the dd-wrt (or whatever ya prefer) to be able to use as an access point. Now I have a 24/7 stable connection for my fedora server. Total cost? $5 and an Ethernet cable that I had laying around. Anyone still hanging onto this pipedream of getting it to work (well, at all), might want to consider this as an alternative, especially if the other manufacturer's models suffer the same fate.

December
19th May 2011, 12:31 PM
So, what's the general populations opinion/thoughts on this? I've had this problem with every version of Fedora out there for a couple years now (last post on this particular topic was back on Oct 2010), but it makes me wonder..

I'm curious about this as well. I've had a never ending list of problems with Fedora networking, which only seem to be getting worse and worse with each new release. A quick Google shows a significant number of forums threads with people having Fedora network problems similar to the ones on this thread.

Is it just a driver issue that developers can't lick/crack/solve/make work, is it a core Fedora issue? I mean, it's not the hardware, works on Windows [cut].. Anyway, I was just wondering, do other usb devices suffer this same fate, or are they more flawless (or, at least WORK) better and not drop connection randomly..

I have 3 different ones, all suffer the same problems, but work well under Ubuntu (so not a hardware problem - although not tried on Windows). I actually don't think it's a driver problem, I think its a combination of other problems including something wrong with DNS resolving (which seems to be the first thing that fails), followed by some other deep down network problems, on top of problems with wpa_supplicant which prevent auto-reconnect.

The thing is, with so many people seeming to have almost the same issues, and no real indicator of exactly where the problem lies.. it's nearly impossible for any developers to track down and fix.

omelette
30th May 2011, 09:45 PM
I still have the same problem but have made some progress in determining the cause, if not providing a cure.

First off, how many 'sufferers' here have Intel iwl3945 wireless? The following only relates to this chipset. I have this, and if you do a net-search you will find many complaining about this same issue - so it's got nothing to do with Fedora! It seems there are a myriad of supposed reasons for this chipset dropping the wireless network, but the one that's most often mentioned has to do with video-streaming, more specifically, flash video-streaming. And at this stage I can tentatively claim that at least in my case, this is the reason!

Many times when I am on youtube, almost regular as clockwork, half way through a 10min video the wireless drops. And it really isn't a "heavy usage" streaming problem either - my broadband/wireless can achieve 300kB/s easily and I regularly download torrents at this rate, and there's never a problem. 40/50kB/s of flash-streaming and it's a different matter entirely however! So it would appear that Flash video streaming is a probable culprit here - now if only there was a version of Lightspark that worked on my laptop, I would be able to both test/confirm this while also being rid of that 'proprietary' flash junk! Anyone who has a setup where Lightspark works should try this out.

Finally, I also discovered one or two things that helps keep me sane while suffering from this affliction. First off, the usually quoted 'solution' below doesn't work for me, but other may have better luck. Issue the following from the terminal application to see if it helps things;

sudo sysctl -w "net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0"

If that fails to work, at least you can 'resurrect' your wireless without having to do a restart - which is what I was forced to do until recently - by simply issuing the following commands from the terminal;

sudo modprobe -r iwl3945 // reset the chipset
sudo modprobe iwl3945 // and restart

Anbyon-up - Bhadaur Travel Photos - Gadhinglaj Photos on Instagram