PDA

View Full Version : DVDRW Sofware for Fedora 12

jastanle84
22nd February 2010, 12:04 AM
What is the recommended DVDRW software, that can burn images or isos, that installs and works with Fedora 12? I can either purchase or freeware.

CiaW
22nd February 2010, 01:23 AM
There have been other threads about this, though the topic might be slightly different.

Are you using a gnome desktop, or KDE or ?? Not that it matters a lot for my answer - I generally use K3B though I've recently installed cdrtools and have burned some DVD's on the command-line using that. (K3B is basically a front-end for cdrecord which is part of cdrtools; I just essentially installed a more recent version.)

The default that comes with gnome is brasero -- some people like it; I'm not a fan. K3B is a KDE application but it works fine in gnome and doesn't pull in too many kde packages as dependencies. Some people like gnomebaker, that's also a viable option. With my recent dvd-burning adventures, I also tried nero linux but I had more errors with that than with other methods.

jastanle84
22nd February 2010, 01:33 AM
Do any of these products burn images or isos onto DVD?

CiaW
22nd February 2010, 02:12 AM
Do any of these products burn images or isos onto DVD?

As far as I know, they all do. For sure it does in K3B and I just looked and gnomebaker does too. (I have them both installed.) However, I had an issue that I didn't resolve where the beginning portion of some of the DVD's wasn't any good, the picture and sound were choppy. I started a thread and didn't get any responses. So ymmv -- it may depend on what sort of iso you're burning? It might depend on your dvd writer too.

I would suggest you go with K3B, then if you have any issues post specifics. I switched to the newer cdrtools (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1333043#post1333043) because my initial attempts didn't bring up anything in my dvd player.

sidebrnz
22nd February 2010, 08:36 AM
If burning an iso to disc is all you want, and you're using Gnome, you've probably already got everything you need. Just right-click on the file and select Burn to Disc from the context menu.

twohot
22nd February 2010, 09:16 PM
BRASERO is the answer!
Applications -> Sound & Video -> Brasero Disc Burner

Golpayegan Photos - Panambi Instagram Photos - Douai Photos