PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide from FC12 DVD

marvin_ita
6th February 2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry to post this question, I already read the sticky post about installing rawhide, but I'm still confused.

To install rawhide can I choose this option from the installation process of a F12 DVD? I've also downloaded the Boot Fedoraproject.org CD, but with this I can only install the i686 version of rawhide.... or there's a way to install the x64 version also?

Thanks

CSchwangler
6th February 2010, 04:52 PM
With the F12 install DVD you can only install F12 in the first step. Also, you need to select the proper architecture (i686 or x64) when you download the image. The official images are split into i686 and x64, so you need to make a decision.

There is an option on the DVD to include additional repositories, e. g. Rawhide, but I've never used it. You would need a reliable internet connection, since the installation program would need to download a lot of stuff during installation. Thats why I usually install using the latest release and then upgrade from that to Rawhide.

Once you have F12 installed, you can upgrade to Rawhide, either by using preupgrade or by enabling the Rawhide repositories and disabling the F12 repositories and then doing a yum upgrade. I once encountered problems with preupgrade so I prefer the second option (enabling Rawhide repositories and then doing yum upgrade).

marvin_ita
7th February 2010, 04:48 PM
Thank you CSchwangler.

I tried the option to boot from Boot Fedoraproject.org CD, choose F12 x86_64 installation and then, in the repository selection, I modified the link of the installation repo to point to a rawhide mirror.

The installation went fine, slowly but without errors (my ADSL is about 3 Mbps) and now I'm writing from a rawhide installation!

Demz
7th February 2010, 10:01 PM
there are F13 rawhide nightly cd's, i'll have a look,

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM CST ----------

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

Nanchong Travel Photos - Huaibei - Umraniye Instagram Photos -