PDA

View Full Version : Scream: Creating an ISO image.

dsmyth
5th February 2010, 09:13 PM
Ok so I just screamed like a silly little school girl with a crush on some member of a boy band. Some metro sexual idiot who thinks he's deep and edgy.

Creating an ISO yeah...

in Windows, search for an ISO maker... find one... is it safe? (ala marathon man) oh I don't know... eek! why is it asking me for my password? no I'll find another one... that looks good. HOW MUCH? credit card details going to Russia yeah right!.. maybe there is another one.... and so on.

in Fedora....

umount /dev/cdrom
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/user/disk.iso

*SCREAMS*

This operating system is brilliant.

pcguru
5th February 2010, 09:55 PM
I totally agree, i prefer this now then Ubuntu :)

marko
6th February 2010, 12:29 AM
k3b is my favorite Linux burner

one problem with k3b is it seems the disk test tends to have false negatives, that is the disk burns ok but k3b says it has failed the test. It also seems to jump the gun when it ejects and reloads the disk (it tries to find the disk too fast, fails and says there's no disk)
One way around this is to burn the disk, then eject the disk and reload it but do not mount it.
Immediately as root do:

md5sum /dev/cdrom

then do the same against the file you used to burn to the disk

md5sum whatever.iso

if they are the same then the burn was ok.

The eject, reload and md5sum procedure is necessary because there's a buffer in the disk that seems to
be properly flushed by ejecting and reloading. But you don't want the disk mounted when the md5sum is done.

CiaW
6th February 2010, 03:04 AM
At least you're screaming because you're happy. I've been doing a small amount of screaming the last week or so over not being able to successfully burn a video DVD. (I haven't yet tried a data dvd) CD's burn fine, DVD's not so much.

I've tried K3B (works fine for the CD's!) and gnomebaker and nerolinux. Tried copying the video cd and creating an iso using k9copy then burning the iso image with only a couple attempts being partially successful. Partially since I can watch some of the video but then it croaks for some reason and verify written data always gives errors. That's when there isn't a write error before it gets to verification. Not so with K3B and CD's on the same drive.

Then I find something called cdrtools in a search of redhat bugzilla that has to be built from source and it won't build right on F12 or CentOS.

I'm just glad I got a stack of 100 blank DVD's (Sony DVD-R) at Costco, so losing 10% of them so far to only being good for coasters I don't need doesn't hurt quite so much. Oh yeah, and I did try another brand just in case that was the issue, same problems.

Thanks for giving me a spot to rant...

Evil_Bert
6th February 2010, 06:28 AM
Plus if you want to play with your ISOs and/or LiveCDs:

yum install isomaster squashfs-tools livecd-tools revisor

Evil_Bert
6th February 2010, 06:38 AM
At least you're screaming because you're happy. I've been doing a small amount of screaming the last week or so over not being able to successfully burn a video DVD. (
Have you tried growisofs from the command line? It's been ages since I last did this, so something may have changed, but give it a go.

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=filename.iso -dvd-video

dsmyth
11th February 2010, 08:16 PM
Hi again everyone, thanks for posting to the thread, sorry I haven't replied until now.... :)

One of the developers I work with loves Ubuntu and for a while he raved about it and it's stability. What I have noticed watching him is he uses it like Windows and from that I see Ubuntu as a Linux for Windows (Home) users. That's not a bad thing, Fedora can be the same, but it's just not my thing. I like the command prompt tools and Fedora is great for that. This is just my opinion though... and like all opinions they are open to discussion.

I haven't burned the iso to disk yet so not really sure how that will work out; I'll try it now.

thanks for posting the other tools Evil_Bert I will look into them, isomaster sounds interesting. You see this is another reason to scream like a hairy biker on a rollercoaster...
these great programs are all free and really well written. I love this new philosophy.

Ok so my iso is finished burning.... it burned ok, it was a win xp install disk.

cdrecord -scanbus
cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 winxp.iso

Santa Helena de Goias Instagram Photos - Suleja Photos - Barra do Bugres Travel Photos