PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 12 Installation problems - comes up text mode only

jfoley31
1st January 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm trying to make a fresh installation of Fedora 12 on my Dell Dimension 4550, which
had previously run Fedora 2 with no problems.
I'm installing from the full Fedora 12 DVD. It gives a message saying that there's insufficient
memory for graphics -- I have 256 MB, but the installation doesn't find it all somehow.
I wind up with a stripped down Linux, with no xterm or other X libraries or utilities present.

Help, someone, please...

RobertoVanto
1st January 2010, 10:04 PM
Try the "text installation mode"(read the green box): http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f12/en-US/html/ch-guimode-x86.html#s1-guimode-interface-x86

CiaW
2nd January 2010, 01:45 AM
I have an ibm thinkpad laptop that also has 256mb of ram. It installed Fedora 7 with gui install just fine, and even installed the F11 lxde spin live cd gui install just fine. However with F12 there appear to be folks with approx 500mb of ram who also couldn't do a gui install and had to do text install if they wanted to install F12. I briefly had F12 on my laptop, didn't like it with the LVM and with text install there wasn't a way to change that; so now I have the F11 lxde live cd install on there.

Basically, if you do the text install, you can do a 'groupinstall' for the GNOME desktop and/or the kde or possibly the xfce desktop. Just a warning, yum is pretty slow with 256mb of ram as far as checking dependencies, or doing a 'yum search' and yumex is even worse. If it's downloading, the download speed is fine -- it's just getting to that point that's pretty painful. Especially in comparison to F7.

Then you'll also want to change the runlevel in one of the config files after you've installed a graphical desktop, a search of the forums ought to bring it up. Or you can continue to boot to runlevel 3 and just startx when you want to get a gui desktop, once it's installed.

Siem Reap Instagram Photos - Hrazdan Instagram Photos - Bradley Photos