PDA

View Full Version : USB Fedora 12

BrianL
31st December 2009, 03:26 AM
Downloaded the usb creator for Windows and installed the KDE version. 1st time I did not understand the persistent memory and after booting all went well until I tried to do the update. Total disaster so back to the drawing board. Tried it again and set the persistent memory to 2048kb and reinstalled 12 KDE. Booted on my Compaq N610c and updated. Whew, it takes a l o n g time but worth it. No problems whatsoever and recognized my D-Link wireless.

Played with it for the day and liked it enough to install and remove the OpenSuse.

The OpenSuse GRUB I really liked and Fedora seems to have gone to the other extreme in this. Wish I could have kept the OpenSuse version. It even had a graphic for the Holiday Season.

I'm not really a Linux person in any depth so, could someone point me to an MP3 player that will play MP3s and M3U directly from the net. Amarok, Audacius 2 and Juk don't and I do not see plug-ins for them.

I had been looking for a usb stick Linux and was amazed all the others I looked at need a computer wizard to create and yet Fedora's was so easy. As a simple layperson enduser, other than Ubunto I do not see much difference between distros other than getting used to using the update and software management tools so it is not difficult to switch back and forth. I had been using OpenSuse, it having replaced Ubunto which I do not care for and b/c of the USB stick install ability, now from OpenSuse to Fedora.

The installer is a great feature, kudos to whomever thought of it and those who programmed it.

CSchwangler
31st December 2009, 09:22 AM
Fedora, by default, doesn't contain such software due to their problematic licensing. However, there are enough guides on the internet. Here is just one:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f12.html

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM CST ----------

And I almost forgot to mention the Fedora Omega Spin. It is a complete Fedora with all mulitimedia players and codecs already installed.

http://omega.dgplug.org/

astromines
5th January 2010, 06:53 PM
Downloaded the usb creator for Windows and installed the KDE version. 1st time I did not understand the persistent memory and after booting all went well until I tried to do the update. Total disaster so back to the drawing board. Tried it again and set the persistent memory to 2048kb and reinstalled 12 KDE. Booted on my Compaq N610c and updated. Whew, it takes a l o n g time but worth it. No problems whatsoever and recognized my D-Link wireless.

You mention that you were able to do an update after changing the persistent memory. Was that an update to system packages? And if so, did this update persist after you rebooted?

thanks!

BrianL
5th January 2010, 07:03 PM
Yes, it did. There were something like 217 updates (from memory) and it took hours. However, I only have USB 1.x ports on the Compaq so with 2.0 it should go faster. At first I thought the whole thing had frozen and crashed but then just left it alone and used another computer for doing other things.

astromines
5th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Very interesting. I'm using an HP 4 GB usb stick and I've been unable to get any of the updates to be persistent. Strange since I am able to do this using ubuntu on the same stick.

Were you also able upgrade the kernel?

thanks very much

pedora
5th January 2010, 07:44 PM
The usb creator doesn't work. I tried it. It's awful.

BrianL
5th January 2010, 08:17 PM
Yes, it did. The USB Creator worked fine once I figured out that I needed the persistent memory allocation on the drive. I'm still not sure what it is, does or is for. I am not a techie type and figure if I got it to work on the 3rd try, anyone can. The first time, I did not allocate any space to the persistent memory, the second tried to allocate almost the entire drive and on the 3rd just picked a number. No particular reason for amount I used. I picked 2x 1012 and went for the closest number to it figuring persistent memory may be a type of swap space and the Compaq has a gig or RAM. Yeah, talk about not being in the ball park but, it worked.

I read the instructions for other distros and threw up my hands. It was not that I needed the USB install for anything, just killing some time rather than watch some boring movie.

pedora
5th January 2010, 09:43 PM
Yes, it did. The USB Creator worked fine once I figured out that I needed the persistent memory allocation on the drive. I'm still not sure what it is, does or is for. I am not a techie type and figure if I got it to work on the 3rd try, anyone can. The first time, I did not allocate any space to the persistent memory, the second tried to allocate almost the entire drive and on the 3rd just picked a number. No particular reason for amount I used. I picked 2x 1012 and went for the closest number to it figuring persistent memory may be a type of swap space and the Compaq has a gig or RAM. Yeah, talk about not being in the ball park but, it worked.

I read the instructions for other distros and threw up my hands. It was not that I needed the USB install for anything, just killing some time rather than watch some boring movie.
I tried it in Windows and guess what, it didn't work there either.

The fact that the 'Persistent' allocation is a mystery and there is little documentation on it adding to the confusion seems to support my findings.

I am sure there will be those who are either offended at my suggestions or think I did something wrong but I think the procedure is so screwy that I only ask for some understanding.

BrianL
5th January 2010, 10:02 PM
Mine was from Windows 2000Pro. Try using the KDE version. I did not try installing using it from a Linux mount as it seemed a might odd. Of course I had OpenSuse mounted. I also did my install from the USB drive to the HD and replaced OpenSuse and it went fine. Just not in love with the plain jane grub. After the install and before the updates I did open the USB creator in the installed Fedora and noticed that it was showing the Fedora 12 betas and not the final. After doing all the updates, it showed the final versions of Fedora 12. My USB drives are Lexar 4 gig. Maybe there is an issue with different brands of drives. It should not make a difference but maybe try doing if from a different machine.