PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide debug kernel

pankajp
22nd November 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi all, i've just upgraded by F12 beta to rawhide. (Dont worry, i dual boot with a fresh F12 install for actual use on my laptop).
Now my problem is that the first update into rawhide brought the kernel-2.6.32-0.51.rc7.git2.fc13 from http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=141925 .
What i've read on the changelog is that some sort of debug build has been enabled, and that make my laptop very slow and completely useless in this new kernel. The gui and even the command lines are useless, so i still have to boot int my old kernel kernel-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64 for rawhide. I just want to ask whether rawhide kernels are always soo slow with all their debug configs setiings, or can we expect a better kernel somewhere in between.
Thanks

leigh123linux
22nd November 2009, 02:06 PM
Hi all, i've just upgraded by F12 beta to rawhide. (Dont worry, i dual boot with a fresh F12 install for actual use on my laptop).
Now my problem is that the first update into rawhide brought the kernel-2.6.32-0.51.rc7.git2.fc13 from http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=141925 .
What i've read on the changelog is that some sort of debug build has been enabled, and that make my laptop very slow and completely useless in this new kernel. The gui and even the command lines are useless, so i still have to boot int my old kernel kernel-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64 for rawhide. I just want to ask whether rawhide kernels are always soo slow with all their debug configs setiings, or can we expect a better kernel somewhere in between.
Thanks

Yes they are slower and you will have a five month wait till the extra debugging is removed.

pankajp
22nd November 2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. I didn't expect them to be so much slower.
Also on a few reboots i noticed that the slowness start only when gdm is about to load. I mean even upto the mouse cursor shows up it is very fast, but somewhere before gdm loads, it becomes utterly slow. If it were some kernel slowness then i'd expect it to be slow from start itself, and not become slow sometime later.
So are there some tools which can help me find what is slowing it down. top doesn't show more then 5% cpu usage.

Bijie - Westchester Photos on Instagram - Merelbeke Travel Photos