PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 12, LXDE Spin

Chriswaterguy
18th November 2009, 11:19 AM
Christoph Wickert tells us (http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=222&sid=4cd11a360b76832974a6917fc255be22&p=3181#p3182) the LXDE spin (http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/) of Fedora 12 is now here.

I love LXDE and hear good things of Fedora. But I'm hoping that braver and geekier people will try it out before me ;-).

Please post your impressions. Christoph will appreciate the feedback also.

Edit: There's a block on it right now (11/18) - Check News for details - Bob

EDIT #2: Re-composed LXDE re-spin now available (Dec. 03, 2009) - V

RahulSundaram
18th November 2009, 11:36 AM
Hi,

Since it is a Live CD. Feel free to try it out yourself. You don't need to be a geek for that

Chriswaterguy
18th November 2009, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Since it is a Live CD. Feel free to try it out yourself. You don't need to be a geek for that

Many times I have spent many hours trying to get a distro to work properly with my laptop. It can be hard to tell whether a problem e.g. with screen resolution will go away when installed to disk. I can wait - Crunchbang Linux is still working for me.

Another thing I'm wondering - I hear people say that with Ubuntu it's a good idea to wait for a month or so after a new release, so that the bugs get ironed out. (I suspect that the rigid release schedule is exacerbates this in Ubuntu.) But is that a good idea with other distros as well?

RahulSundaram
18th November 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi,

If you want to take the conservative approach, it isn't a bad idea to wait. You are just missing out on the fun :-)

Hlingler
18th November 2009, 05:02 PM
F11 LXDE (32-bit) was so good (tested in VBox) that I went ahead and upgraded my old workhorse to it. F12 LXDE (32-bit) however crashes immediately and repeatedly upon desktop open in VBox with 'abrt' (I think that's what it is) flashing a message that lxpanel has crashed. Took out the Host GUI twice. :) Can't try installing as it won't last long enough to get so far. Might try it on real iron.

V

ajhwb
18th November 2009, 08:19 PM
F11 LXDE (32-bit) was so good (tested in VBox) that I went ahead and upgraded my old workhorse to it. F12 LXDE (32-bit) however crashes immediately and repeatedly upon desktop open in VBox with 'abrt' (I think that's what it is) flashing a message that lxpanel has crashed. Took out the Host GUI twice. :) Can't try installing as it won't last long enough to get so far. Might try it on real iron.

V
i got this issue too, i downloaded through bittorrent, use livecd-creator to transfer to a USB flash disk, then boot it up, my notebeook (1.7Ghz Pentium-M, 512MiB memory) crash everytime when entering desktop with live user account, flashing message about lxpanel, lxsetting, daemon, etc were crash detected... it seem busy and more busy until it got crashed (freeze).

I tried to diagnose with top and free, i got 4MiB free of memory.., loop3, loop2 monopolize the %CPU.

Hlingler
18th November 2009, 08:26 PM
Known issue - the F12 LXDE Re-Spin has been pulled: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/announcement.php?f=61

We just found this out a few minutes ago, by the way... .

V

perezomail
18th November 2009, 09:49 PM
hmn had that unable to load with any f11 iso just got f12 spin for a friends netbook and it got pulled. f10 loaded and is working like a champ on this netbook quessing its time for me to keep f10 indefinatly and look for other distro iso for backup

YAOMTC
19th November 2009, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm glad it wasn't just me! I ended up just downloading regular Fedora w/ GNOME, then
$ su
$ yum groupinstall lxde-desktop

or 'sudo yum groupinstall lxde-desktop' if you've already put yourself in the sudoers file.

'LXDE' seems to also work in place of 'lxde-desktop'.

perezomail
19th November 2009, 04:50 AM
nah i got really exited when fedora 11 came out thought well if fedora 10 booted 0 problems since install amagine fedora 11 well every iso was garbage for my machine the only reason i was even downoading fedora 12 was to have something current at the ready just incase after all those fedora 11 iso ive had my fil just got another distro saved incase this fedora 10 goes caput till then im staying behind but working

YAOMTC
19th November 2009, 06:02 AM
nah i got really exited when fedora 11 came out thought well if fedora 10 booted 0 problems since install amagine fedora 11 well every iso was garbage for my machine the only reason i was even downoading fedora 12 was to have something current at the ready just incase after all those fedora 11 iso ive had my fil just got another distro saved incase this fedora 10 goes caput till then im staying behind but working

Here, I think these might help you.
,.,,with ,i.,.l, 'l, k.,'.

nah, i got really exited when fedora 11 came out. thought, well, if fedora 10 booted with 0 problems since install, imagine fedora 11. well, every iso was garbage for my machine. the only reason i was even downloading fedora 12 was to have something current at the ready, just in case after all those fedora 11 iso i've had my fill, just got another distro saved in case this fedora 10 goes kaput. till then, i'm staying behind but working.

Chriswaterguy
19th November 2009, 07:25 AM
Edit: Grumpy comment retracted. (Was going to add a strikethrough but can't get it to work here, so I'll shrink it.)

Hi,

If you want to take the conservative approach, it isn't a bad idea to wait. You are just missing out on the fun :-)

I appreciate that, but I'd respectfully suggest that people who know Linux be a bit more conservative in the advice they give out to people on a forum, or mention the kind of risks that come with this kind of fun (fun for you, not for me). Some people don't have a high tolerance for the kind of problems that have subsequently been posted on this list.

Having said that, I do appreciate the hard work you and others like you put in - I'm just offering the perspective of an end-user.

RahulSundaram
19th November 2009, 07:44 AM
Hi,

If you notice, none of my advice encourages anyone to jump in blindly.

fedorat01
19th November 2009, 12:56 PM
Note to Fedora people: Kindly do not take personal offence, this post is of a generic nature true for other Linux distros as well, but it needs to be repeated often to save people some trouble. This is not distro-bashing. The same applies to Ubuntu also.
Thanks.

Statutory warning: Do not test Fedora on real partitions with data which has not been backed up.

And by backed up, I mean, backed up AND restored (to a test setup) recently.

Follow this order of testing methods, best option first:

1. Preferably inside Virtualbox

2. At least VMware

3. Live CD without any changes to the disks and grub

4. Partitions without data on them

5. Partitions whose data has been backed up AND RESTORED successfully, and RECENTLY, AND by YOURSELF.

If these precautions are taken,
testing Fedora spins, latest versions, upgrades, custom spins, remasters, etc will be a painless, enjoyable experience.

"Don't tell me I didn't tell you."

Some guys will always skip one of these, jump right in, bork their systems and then complain that Fedora sucks, just like I do :p

Chriswaterguy
19th November 2009, 04:27 PM
Edit: Grumpy comment retracted. I keep the commendation for fedorat01's good advice

If you notice, none of my advice encourages anyone to jump in blindly.

You suggested I try a brand-new spin which turned out to have massive problems. (Shrug.)

I much prefer fedorat01's good advice (Precautions while testing Fedora custom spins, remasters, latest and greatest version).

RahulSundaram
19th November 2009, 04:33 PM
@Chriswaterguy

I encouraged you to TRY the Live CD. It would taken less than an hour and caused no permanent issues since the issues would be obvious in Live CD mode and if not, the installed system would not have had any problems as made clear in the announcement. I would say that your claim of massive problems is just massively exaggerated.

Chriswaterguy
19th November 2009, 04:56 PM
@RahulSundaram

I read over things more thoroughly, and you're right, it's not as serious as I implied (not "massive problems").

I would still prefer not to risk playing around with brand new spins - this time it was apparently just a problem with the LiveCD (a modest waste of time which I'd rather avoid, but not a killer) but another time it might be much more seriously time-wasting, maybe worse. It's only because I've had my fingers burned so often on Linux that I know better. I'd rather other people coming into Linux have better experiences than I did.

Btw I realize I seem to be singling you out - what I say applies to many well-meaning people on Linux forums.

JN4OldSchool
19th November 2009, 05:02 PM
Dude, it was a live CD. What can it do to your system? Worst case you pull the plug, turn it back on, and pop the CD out before it boots.

Listen, these warnings are not a bad thing, kind of like putting "hot contents" on a coffee cup. But let's not get carried away, huh?

If you don't want to play with brand new spins then don't. I would hope that anyone that does will recognise the danger and would not try to install on a drive with a doctoral thesis, especially one which was not backed up 5 times in different ways.

Hlingler
19th November 2009, 06:14 PM
I would hope that anyone that does will recognise the danger and would not try to install on a drive with a doctoral thesis, especially one which was not backed up 5 times in different ways.Interestingly, HDDs/partitions with important doctoral theses thereon (and usually not owned by the hapless *NIX hobbyist in question), and yet never backed up, seem to disproportionately outnumber empty/spare/disposable partitions as the targets for experimental/first-time Fedora Linux installs. Go figure.

V

Chriswaterguy
20th November 2009, 09:31 AM
Thinking it over, I realize I've indeed been unfair to RahulSundaram. I retract my critical comments.

Apart from being grumpy sometimes, I have a bit of a hobby horse about making things easier for newbies and using appropriate warnings, especially for brand new releases (pet peeve: if a distro's download page implies that anyone can just download and install by themselves with no problems - for a good number of users this ends up not being true.) I stand by those concerns, but Rahul's invitation to try the LiveCD wasn't in that category.

Listen, these warnings are not a bad thing, kind of like putting "hot contents" on a coffee cup. But let's not get carried away, huh?

Indeed, though it's a bit less obvious than hot coffee, if we're talking about the concern that the user gets a system that causes them to pull their hair out. (But losing a drive which isn't backed up is a lot like the hot coffee.)

I would hope that anyone that does will recognise the danger and would not try to install on a drive with a doctoral thesis, especially one which was not backed up 5 times in different ways.

Indeed. But the kind of dangers I think are more common (though maybe concerned about are:
* having to spend ridiculous amounts of time and mental energy fixing a distro (I've since learnt that it's easier just to try a different distro and see if it works better with me and my hardware, but newbies don't always realize this.)
* where a system or packages are flaky, and cause problem with ongoing use of the system. E.g. I some downloads from my camera in Ubuntu 7.10, due to a combination of factors: a flaky right-click-menu that activated without releasing the mouse button; Thunar putting trash in a different place to Nautilus - I had both and I must have been looking in the wrong one (realized this too late); and my own lack of well-ordered backups (I eventually found my 400 MB of photo files, but they were all mixed up).

It's a lot nicer if we know our system is reliable, and the backups are there as an insurance policy that will never be used.

Chriswaterguy
4th December 2009, 07:58 AM
Update: LXDE spin for F12 now fixed up and available:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1300782#post1300782

bailout
28th December 2009, 06:26 PM
Is this available for download other than by torrent? I have tried repeatedly to get this over the last few days and the torrent runs at 1-2 kbs which makes it impractical to download.

thanks

Hlingler
28th December 2009, 07:02 PM
Is this available for download other than by torrent?Not that I am aware of.I have tried repeatedly to get this over the last few days and the torrent runs at 1-2 kbs which makes it impractical to download.BitTorrent client ? Have you checked settings (incl. encryption, DHT, UPnP, bandwidth limits in/out, & etc.) ?? ISP throttling ???

V

bailout
2nd January 2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have tried with ktorrent, opera and transmission under linux and opera from windows and they were all similar. I am just trying again and the speed varies. It has reached over 70kbs but then goes back to 1-2 so it isn't my connection that is limiting. I will leave it running for a bit and see if it steadies at a high enough speed to work.

mistvieh
19th January 2010, 08:10 PM
Still a *huge* bug in the LiveCD (and I dont know why). It starts and works, and I can install. During Installation I set up 2 Partitions (yes, no Swap by intention), one with 12GB for / and one with 20GB for /home. Both Ext4 and both are primary, but /home is encrypted. I can enter my key and all that stuff and installation ends successfully. But when booting the installed system, it shows the luks key *IN CLEARTEXT* and even accepts enter as a part of a key. I cannot skip that, not even with ctrl+c or ctrl+z.

This was a surprise for me since I installed a similar setup, but with the xfce spin on another Laptop. There it worked. Any clues? Maybe you just picked a bad cryptsetup version or the initsystem is broken?

Edit: happened on i386, the working Xfce install was on x86_64

Edit#2: Looks like I can trigger this on i386 with any cd. So I installed without encryption and did it myself afterwards.

nparafe
27th January 2010, 11:13 PM
i am trying to add another keyboard layout in fedora lxde spin because of the non gui option. What i need is to edit the change group layout shortcut (for example alt+shift) and to add another language.
Thank you for your time

gychang
16th May 2010, 04:42 PM
for me , F12, LXDE works great on my thinkpad T42. I am still tweaking a bit, but chrome, youtube etc. works without pain.

gychang

joutlan
30th May 2010, 06:18 AM
for me , F12, LXDE works great on my thinkpad T42. I am still tweaking a bit, but chrome, youtube etc. works without pain.

gychang

I am getting tons of crashes on F13 LXDE x64 on my Vostro 1220 laptop which in general has been a great linux machine. I've reported them all...but this seems like an Alpha moreso than a final. Nothing has brought the entire system down, but the mulititude of crashes is startling. I love this spin, I hope all this can get ironed out shortly....:?

axel668
31st May 2010, 09:31 AM
I am getting tons of crashes on F13 LXDE x64 on my Vostro 1220 laptop which in general has been a great linux machine. I've reported them all...but this seems like an Alpha moreso than a final. Nothing has brought the entire system down, but the mulititude of crashes is startling. I love this spin, I hope all this can get ironed out shortly....:?

Hi Joutlan !

This is strange, running F13 LXDE (32 Bit) on an Acer Extensa 5630EZ (Intel graphics), and it's running fine, fast as a lightning and stable as a rock ;)

Do you have Nvidia graphics in your machine ? Sounds like there's a problem between your laptop and new Xorg 1.8 or the new OpenSource Nvidia drivers (which would then be a general Fedora issue, though, and not specific to LXDE respin).

So my recommendations would be:

* Try proprietary Nvidia drivers (if you have an Nvidia graphics chip)
* Try F13 Default / Gnome, to see if it's any better
* Try 32 Bit (found 64Bit to be a little tricky in other distros)

Good luck, A.

joutlan
31st May 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi Joutlan !

This is strange, running F13 LXDE (32 Bit) on an Acer Extensa 5630EZ (Intel graphics), and it's running fine, fast as a lightning and stable as a rock ;)

Do you have Nvidia graphics in your machine ? Sounds like there's a problem between your laptop and new Xorg 1.8 or the new OpenSource Nvidia drivers (which would then be a general Fedora issue, though, and not specific to LXDE respin).

So my recommendations would be:

* Try proprietary Nvidia drivers (if you have an Nvidia graphics chip)
* Try F13 Default / Gnome, to see if it's any better
* Try 32 Bit (found 64Bit to be a little tricky in other distros)

Good luck, A.

Hi...I have a Vostro 1220 laptop with Intel x4500HD graphics chipset....dunno, I love the spin dammit....but I had to give it up because of these crashes...I was led to beleive they probably wouldn't get ironed due to lack of time, so I went to Mint 9 x64 since its' a LTS...

CSchwangler
1st June 2010, 08:51 AM
Sad to hear that you dropped Fedora so it may be a bit late to suggest the XFCE spin. It is a bit heavier than LXDE but much lighter than Gnome and XFCE seems to be a really stable environment.

Amsterdam - Tomobe Travel Photos on Instagram - Lincoln Photos