PDA

View Full Version : Contant wrong kernel headers in yum

cuban_cigar
16th November 2009, 01:21 AM
This is a very serious problem with fedora,

The kernel-devel and kernel-headers for a kernel are only available for a few days, if you dont get them right away then you are up the creek without a paddle.

Scenario:

Two servers need to go to a client, one I installed the devel/ headers right away, the other server stayed behind, and someone didnt install the devel/head before shipping it.

Now, the correct headers / devel are GONE.

Why put us through having to continually update the kernel, which WILL break several other things?

How come they cant stay up there for a week or so?

Now Iḿ looking at several hours minimum troubleshooting / recompiling.

( updated the kernel, and it broke gcc etc, things wont compile. Hopefully I wont have to pull an all nighter )

Dies
16th November 2009, 01:51 AM
Seems like this would fit better in the "Rants" section... You're obviously not looking for help since you didn't even bother mentioning the kernel version you need.

Also seems to just confirm what most Fedora users already agree on, which is that using the current version of a bleeding edge, frequently broken distro on a server is not a good idea.

scottro
16th November 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm going to move this into the things that make you scream section, since, as Dies pointed out, no question is being asked save one that is a bit rhetorical.

Nokia
16th November 2009, 02:03 AM
See
su
yum install yum-utils
man yumdownloader

cuban_cigar
16th November 2009, 02:18 AM
That should advance us to solving the problem of the devel / headers being removed too quickly to be of use.

Also the "its bleeding edge so we dont have to be reasonable¨ excuse has never been used before,

stoat
16th November 2009, 02:32 AM
The kernel-devel and kernel-headers for a kernel are only available for a few days, if you dont get them right away then you are up the creek without a paddle.Hello cuban_cigar,

I've never noticed that before. The current kernel-headers, kernel-devel, and kernel-PAE-devel packages are all still in the download servers with dates of 5-Nov-2009. Your scenario might happen if you installed everything the day before a kernel update. Then all of the old kernel version stuff is gone the next day. Maybe somebody knows somewhere you can go to get old kernel packages.

aleph
16th November 2009, 02:39 AM
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8

Get it directly from the compiler farm.

jpollard
16th November 2009, 03:15 AM
Or just build your own kernel.

That way you know exactly what kernel you are using, and what headers you would have.

Been there, done that. The regular kernel tree works just fine.

diamond_ramsey
16th November 2009, 03:17 AM
...Scenario:

Two servers need to go to a client, one I installed the devel/ headers right away, the other server stayed behind, and someone didnt install the devel/head before shipping it....

:) cuban_cigar, thank you for your posts. :)

Wow, what a story! :)

Which version of the kernel do you need? :)

I think that the "someone" who did not do the install before shipping may need to verify and validate the configuration prior to shipping. I that happen before a time or two before with former coworkers. Once the process was made a foundation step in our deliverables, all"s well for my baseline. :)

FYI, I am running concurrently four systems with an equivalent baseline on FC12 RC4 and all's well. :v)

Hope this helps. ;)

Zotter
16th November 2009, 07:08 PM
My first question would be, why on earth are you shipping servers to a client with Fedora installed???? Man - that's just ASKING for hassles.

FEDORA IS NOT A PRODUCTION DISTRO - was never meant to be. It's a VERY Rapid Release Cycle Development distro. New versions come out twice a year. No way on god's own green apple would I consider that kind of release/upgrade cycle for a paying client.

That's what RHEL or CentOS are for. Long term support, reliable, proven, stable and it's still a RH type system.

Rather than complain about what is considered a feature of the distro - may want to spend some more engineering time selecting an appropriate distro for the client.

scottro
16th November 2009, 09:07 PM
@Zotter, I always assume (yeah, yeah, we know what assume does--for non-native English speakers, the joke is it makes an Ass of u and me---ass, u, me, assume---get it? No? Well, you're not missing much) that there may be a valid reason--maybe the client insisted upon it, maybe it needs a newer version of program X or library Y, etc.

That being said, as has been said on the thread, Fedora really isn't intended to be a server system. That doesn't mitigate your frustration--I understand that, but the fact remains that it's sort of part of the game with this distribution. Adam W has an extremely eloquent post on the forums somewhere, explaining the idea--that its aim is to whip the things into shape that can give a desktop user a smooth experience.

I think I would, especially if it's a production server, make sure the client understands that it won't be as simple as using one of the distributions aimed at the server market.

leigh123linux
16th November 2009, 09:52 PM
This is a very serious problem with fedora,

The kernel-devel and kernel-headers for a kernel are only available for a few days, if you dont get them right away then you are up the creek without a paddle.

Scenario:

Two servers need to go to a client, one I installed the devel/ headers right away, the other server stayed behind, and someone didnt install the devel/head before shipping it.

Now, the correct headers / devel are GONE.

Why put us through having to continually update the kernel, which WILL break several other things?

How come they cant stay up there for a week or so?

Now Iḿ looking at several hours minimum troubleshooting / recompiling.

( updated the kernel, and it broke gcc etc, things wont compile. Hopefully I wont have to pull an all nighter )

There's your paddle

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/

Thread closed