PDA

View Full Version : Can we update Fedora 12 beta to Fedora 12 by yum in the future?

yzpdsg
27th October 2009, 02:07 AM
Hi,everyone!
I've tried Fedora 12 beta and it is really amazing to me! I'm now worring about the problem that if we can update our system to fedora 12 in the future.:confused:

Maners
27th October 2009, 03:04 AM
It has been possible since at least Fedora 9 to go from alpha/beta to final. All you need to do it to keep updating your system and when the final release is made and you run yum update at that day (or a few days after of course :-)) it will download a new fedora-release package and "convert" your beta to final.

So all you need to do is to keep your beta installation updated and you'll end up with Fedora 12 final at the day of release.

typerlc
27th October 2009, 05:07 AM
So all you need to do is to keep your beta installation updated and you'll end up with Fedora 12 final at the day of release.

That's not quite true. You must ensure you disable rawhide repos after this. Otherwise you'll start picking up fc13.

Demz
27th October 2009, 05:34 AM
man this gets asked all the time.. dont people use Search anymore?

That's not quite true. You must ensure you disable rawhide repos after this. Otherwise you'll start picking up fc13.

if your using F12 rawhide now it'll switch to Final main repo's untill you manually enable the rawhide again for F13.

typerlc
27th October 2009, 05:45 AM
if your using F12 rawhide now it'll switch to Final main repo's untill you manually enable the rawhide again for F13.

Are you sure about that? Is this different from FC11->FC12? The only reason I've been using FC12 all this time is that I did a yum update after some threshold time ... and got stuck picking up FC12 not FC11 repos. I didn't hand edit any repo files.

Demz
27th October 2009, 05:52 AM
yes im sure... it just doesnt switch back to rawhide automatically once you install F12 final or any other release

typerlc
27th October 2009, 06:09 AM
Then you have to switch repos to F12 final manually. One way or the other, I got stuck on rawhide. How would you explain that?

Demz
27th October 2009, 06:36 AM
no.. it goes to Fedora12 final ( aslong as you update to fedora-release 12rpm ) it'll then switch the the Main Fedora repo's

you must of done something then? cause it cant do it automaticcally the way you suggested above in your previous post unless you manually point Fedora at rawhide permanently

AdamW
27th October 2009, 07:11 AM
you have to update quite regularly. if you skip updates for a few days you may miss the one that converts the beta into the final release, and if you miss it, then the *next* time you update, you're on to Rawhide for the next release.

typerlc
27th October 2009, 07:16 AM
you have to update quite regularly. if you skip updates for a few days you may miss the one that converts the beta into the final release, and if you miss it, then the *next* time you update, you're on to Rawhide for the next release.

There you go. That's what must have happened. Surely a better way could be architected?

RahulSundaram
27th October 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi,

Yes. Read

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_from_pre-release_to_final

Also

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Proposal

Already been discussed in this forum before.

Managua Travel Photos - Bhayandar Instagram Photos - Benin City Photos on Instagram -