PDA

View Full Version : FC2-friendly word processors

mtrichardson
5th October 2004, 08:15 AM
Hey all.

So, I finally have my desktop configured how I want it (screenshot at http://michael.geekfire.com/images/screenshot.png ) and I'm extremely happy with it. The only thing that would make it better is an embedded terminal in the desktop, but that's such a minor point compared to how well I feel about how my desktop looks now.

So, things are great.

Except that I don't really have a word processor that I really like. I mean, OO, AbiWord, even Microsoft Office (running under CodeWeaver's CrossOver Office software) all work great. I have no complaints with them, except that they just don't look as pretty as I would like them too (can you tell I'm really big on how things look?).

So, are there any really lightweight, small footprint, beautiful word processors? For reference, I find textedit in OSX to be absolutely amazing. I don't need anything with formatting power, just something that looks good to compose in. Mellel, also in OSX, is something similar to what I'm looking for (only I certainly don't need all of its features). Its website is: http://www.redlers.com/ with screenshots at: http://www.redlers.com/mellelscreenshots.html

Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated,
-Michael

foolish
5th October 2004, 10:08 AM
Abiword will use the gnome theme. I think abiword would be the one you want. Word processors are supposed to be productive, not eye-candy, so you might not find what you're looking for.

mtrichardson
5th October 2004, 10:17 AM
I entirely agree.

It's a thing where I feel more productive if I'm looking at something pretty. Some of my best writing has been done on textedit in OSX on my crummy old laptop (Mac laptop, AMD desktop).

I do use AbiWord and like it, so maybe I'll just stick with that....

After playing around with the options a bit more, disabling most of the toolbars in Abiword and working in Print View effectively accomplishes a great deal of what I am looking for, and detatching them from their perch on the top of the screen and dragging them wherever also goes a great long way (though ideally they would change from toolbar form when they weren't attached).

Thanks for focusing me on AbiWord again.

Jman
6th October 2004, 02:16 AM
Nice screenshot. Consider adding it to our gallery.

About all I will ever expect out of my word processor is for it to fit in with the theme. OpenOffice still has a way to go on this, but will someday I hope.

mtrichardson
6th October 2004, 03:12 AM
Screenshot has been added. Thanks for the complement! It's something I've been working on for a long while, getting a desktop that I like. Never been able to do it to my satisfaction until now on Linux. Woo!

I had to write a paper last night and wrote most of it in AbiWord. The method I described for the appearance was very condusive to work, so I'm quite satisifed with that. I'm still going to do most of the formatting in MS Word, gradually making the transition to OO or another open-source word processor (maybe even AbiWord!) as soon as possible. Fedora is definitely my new best friend.

sailor
9th October 2004, 08:27 PM
I have been using TextMaker word processor (retail software) it appears to be a clone of MS word & seems to work well.

embedded terminal in the desktop
I have a terminal screen in the upper left corner of the screen, the borders, menu and status bar removed...you could make it transparent if you were to use e-term instead. This might give you what will look like a embedded terminal.
look here: http://home.satx.rr.com/sghmjl/snapshot1.png

BTW it is xterm and I launch with the command: xterm -bg black -fg green -fn Arial +sb +cm

mtrichardson
9th October 2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks for replying.

I'm playing around with eterm and it's great! One question, though - how did you remove the borders to it? I can only remove eterm's internal borders, but Gnome's borders are always there. Is that my problem, is that an Enlightenment-only thing?

sailor
10th October 2004, 01:02 AM
Let me think on that, I believe I use alt + F3 for the menu to remove borders...but that is in xterm in KDE
I have not used e-term in a awhile, but seem to recall right clicking on window for config menu?

edit: ok I just DL Eterm and launch it with the following:
Eterm -O --scrollbar-width 2 -x
This gives me a transparent window , a 2 pixel wide scrollbar and no borders
or Eterm -O --scrollbar off -x
This gives me a transparent window , no scrollbar and no borders
You may want to read the manual
commandline : man Eterm
BTW there was a config menu that came up with right mouse click, but now it has disappeared and won't come up again?
edit: alt + space

Francisco Beltrao - Hohenstein-Ernstthal Instagram Photos - Darlington