PDA

View Full Version : Network Manager going backwards

miles
22nd October 2009, 04:56 AM
so I went to plug in my cdma broadband card on my new updated F12 laptop and now instead of auto detecting it wants me to input all kinds of information (model number, ......) What a PITA ! What happened to the auto detection that worked just fine. Frankly I don't know where that info is so now I'm stuck without internet on my F12 laptop. (I still have F11 on this laptop and now I guess I can't update it if I want to use my card).

Making life more difficult is not the way to go.

Demz
22nd October 2009, 05:01 AM
its all fun in the end.. look at it this way, least you wont have to go to the barbar toget your haircut since you've pulled it all out by now :D

cant you EDIT the connection an have it auto connect?

miles
22nd October 2009, 05:51 AM
its all fun in the end.. look at it this way, least you wont have to go to the barbar toget your haircut since you've pulled it all out by now :D

cant you EDIT the connection an have it auto connect?

okay, I went beyond the opening dialog (for new cdma connection) - it only asked for Carrier and Country - then it connected. While that's not hard or burdensome, I guess I still must ask why when it auto detected that before.

And if that's all the info it requires, then the opening dialog is more demanding than necessary.

AdamW
22nd October 2009, 06:41 AM
I think it wasn't necessarily *auto-detected* before - I think it had hardcoded values which were actually only valid for most North American carriers. It's become more sophisticated in F12 and handles a much wider range of connection types. While that makes it very slightly more trouble if you happen to have a carrier which uses the hardcoded settings from previous releases, it's a significant win for people on any other carrier :)

It's not actually technically possible to entirely auto-detect what settings should be used, as all NM can auto-detect is the attributes of the hardware involved. Dan Williams, NM lead developer, goes into more detail on the changes here:

http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/06/22/mobile-broadband-assistant-makes-it-easy/

he notes that we can auto-detect most settings for GSM-type networks from the SIM card ID, but obviously that doesn't apply to CDMA-type networks which don't use SIM cards.

ozjd
22nd October 2009, 06:46 AM
I gather the idea is to make it easier for those who can't connect automatically. There have been a few I've noticed on here. But it may make it more difficult for the first use for those of us who have it working now.

There is more info at http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/06/22/mobile-broadband-assistant-makes-it-easy/

Instagram Europe | America Instagram Photos | Asia Travel Photos on Instagram