PDA

View Full Version : xorg only using VESA driver

zoinksbob
17th October 2009, 04:30 AM
I just installed the latest beta RC snap, and Xorg is only using the generic VESA driver. I have a RadeonHD 3850 card, and I've made sure that both the xorg-x11-drv-ati.x86_64 and xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd.x86_64 packages are installed, but X isn't using either of these. I don't see any errors about it trying to load the radeon driver and failing. It looks like it's just defaulting to VESA first without trying anything else.

Ideas...?

Attached is the Xorg.0.log file.

AdamW
19th October 2009, 11:53 PM
i'm not seeing an attachment. can you paste the log to http://fpaste.org/ ? Thanks!

zoinksbob
20th October 2009, 04:49 AM
Oops. Attachment didn't work. See here:

http://fpaste.org/sOaO/

AdamW
20th October 2009, 10:16 PM
you're right, it goes straight to VESA.

it does say:

Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

can you pastebin the contents of that file? it may be set to load vesa, for some reason.

zoinksbob
20th October 2009, 11:27 PM
Oh, psych! I didn't even notice that there was an xorg.conf file. I just assumed that it didn't exist, since that's the new way of doing things. And, sure enough, the contents of the file are:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Don't I feel silly for not thinking to check that!

I don't know why that file would be there, though. It shouldn't be there.

AdamW
21st October 2009, 06:16 AM
does it have _anything_ else in it? like a note that it was created by system-config-display ? if not, that's a bit of a mystery, AFAIK there's nothing in Fedora that would just write a file that looked like that.

zoinksbob
21st October 2009, 08:36 AM
does it have _anything_ else in it? like a note that it was created by system-config-display ? if not, that's a bit of a mystery, AFAIK there's nothing in Fedora that would just write a file that looked like that.

My above post was the entire contents of the config file. I agree that it's a mystery where this file came from.

zoinksbob
21st October 2009, 08:46 AM
It's possible that I may have selected the "Install system with basic video driver" option from the boot menu when I ran the installer; I don't remember.

lsatenstein
21st October 2009, 12:30 PM
I just installed the latest beta RC snap, and Xorg is only using the generic VESA driver. I have a RadeonHD 3850 card, and I've made sure that both the xorg-x11-drv-ati.x86_64 and xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd.x86_64 packages are installed, but X isn't using either of these. I don't see any errors about it trying to load the radeon driver and failing. It looks like it's just defaulting to VESA first without trying anything else.

Ideas...?

Attached is the Xorg.0.log file.

Since it's establishment as a new card last year (2008), the ATI hd3850 is not supported. Not in Fedora 10 or later or other distributions..

I too have said model of card and I have been waitng for some time for drivers to become available.

AdamW
21st October 2009, 10:59 PM
Um, that's not correct. The 'ati' (aka 'radeon') driver supports the card and has done for some time. If you're thinking about *3D acceleration*, then yes, you're right, but just basic 2D support works fine.

zoinks: ah, that could well be it. I think you would get such an xorg.conf in that case, since it's logical for us to assume that if you needed VESA to get through the install, you probably need it after install too...

zoinksbob
22nd October 2009, 05:28 AM
Um, that's not correct. The 'ati' (aka 'radeon') driver supports the card and has done for some time. If you're thinking about *3D acceleration*, then yes, you're right, but just basic 2D support works fine.

zoinks: ah, that could well be it. I think you would get such an xorg.conf in that case, since it's logical for us to assume that if you needed VESA to get through the install, you probably need it after install too...

Ah ha! But I just installed the experimental drivers in the F12 rawhide and I now have 3D support! It's a freaking miracle!

I'm running compiz-fusion and all that jazz, and it looks good. Happy days!

AdamW
22nd October 2009, 06:44 AM
yeah, compiz is one of the things that's known to more or less work with the current code, on some adapters. there are some things (like GNOME Shell and more complex games) which won't run perfectly, though. but if it's doing what you need, that's great :) glad it's good for you.

thomthom
22nd October 2009, 09:32 AM
whereis the xorg.conf file? it is not in /etc/X11/ like it is in ubuntu...

ovadyah
22nd October 2009, 12:58 PM
Greetings,
I am having system-config-display crash. I also installed with basic video, regular install crashed at finding hardware and the screen was split all over the place.
I have been trying to send bug report but it is also crashing, where can I go to get or give help?
thanks

AdamW
22nd October 2009, 11:46 PM
thomthom: most systems won't have one by default. If you need one for some reason - to configure something - follow the instructions at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf .

ovadyah: what's your hardware?

Jongi
23rd October 2009, 12:01 AM
AdamW - I think most systems are moving towards HAL, making an xorg.conf almost obsolete. I think I have seen in one of Debian/openSUSE/Gentoo being able to load without an xorg.conf.

ovadyah
23rd October 2009, 12:57 AM
Adam,
I have a gigabyte MB (ma785gm-us2h) which has an AMD 785G chipset, an ATI Radeon HD4200 (on board).
It is using 4 G of Ram with 500 G HD.
thanks for your reply.

lsatenstein
23rd October 2009, 01:53 AM
Hi zoinksbob

From where did you get the drivers? Is there F11 support for them. I have some applications that wont run because the driver is not 3d.

Evil_Bert
23rd October 2009, 03:43 AM
The "Install with basic video driver" option caught me out, too. But deleting xorg.conf and rebooting fixed that pretty quickly.

I think that installation option is a bit confusing. Any improvement here would be appreciated. (Edited)

AdamW
24th October 2009, 04:52 PM
thomthom: um, that's exactly what I said. :) Actually, it's not just HAL, HAL is only used for input devices. X itself does autodetection of the video hardware and displays.

lsatenstein: the drivers for r600 3D are not available in F11, I'm afraid, only F12.

ovadyah: okay...so what's the situation now exactly? you installed with basic graphics, and can't use s-c-d to switch to a different driver? Do you get a graphical desktop on the installed system? How exactly is the installed system crashing?

ovadyah
24th October 2009, 06:26 PM
I have a fine working system, with desktop - either kde or gnome. I do not have the NM working but I see fixes in the works for that.

My problem is that I could not install F12 with "regular" install, I had to use basic video drivers. Now I cannot change the resolution or get to s-c-d.

I got s-c-d to install but it crashes when ever I try to access it. I tried to send bug report but it is unclear if it worked, however there is a note at the bottom of the bug report screen that this crash has been reported.

I was wondering if there was a general install video driver "step by step" that would work on this, or is a wait for another install\update the best route?

I shall try and get a screen shot of the bug report etc. so I can send it to you.

I found the screen shot and one way did work.

thanks

zoinksbob
25th October 2009, 12:12 AM
Hi zoinksbob

From where did you get the drivers? Is there F11 support for them. I have some applications that wont run because the driver is not 3d.

These drivers are still experimental and are currently only in the F12 rawhide repo. You can go get the source and compile it yourself, but you probably don't want to go to all that bother. It's a lot of work. You'll have to either wait for the free drivers to come out as stable, or just use the official, non-open source drivers from AMD/ATI.

zoinksbob
25th October 2009, 12:14 AM
The "Install with basic video driver" option caught me out, too. But deleting xorg.conf and rebooting fixed that pretty quickly.

I think that installation option is a bit confusing. Any improvement here would be appreciated. (Edited)

Yeah, I can't tell if that xorg.conf getting left there after the install is an intended behaviour or a bug. Does anyone know what happens with the F11 installer?

AdamW
27th October 2009, 03:22 AM
it's intentional. the theory is that if you need to use 'basic graphics' (i.e. the vesa driver) to make the installer work, you very probably also need it in the installed system as well.

ovadyah: do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf which specifies 'vesa' as the driver? If so, what happens if you rename it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak and reboot?