PDA

View Full Version : eth0 not present

ovadyah
8th October 2009, 06:44 PM
Installed from F12 alpha dvd after snap3 would not finish. Had all working and did all the updates save one curious error concerning NetworkManager, could not erase - or something.
Never the less, all was working this AM and then I went to test another device on our network and when I plugged the network cable back into my machine....no network icon, no network connection. I have tried the several suggestions from the F12 threads and cannot get anywhere.

I get this:

"Device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization" after I run "ifup eth0".

There is another warning message in between which I have seen in booting

"WARNING: Depreciated config file /etc/nodprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d"

I need advice on this one.
Thanks.

maden
8th October 2009, 06:52 PM
can you show us what `iwconfig` returns?

ovadyah
8th October 2009, 07:01 PM
iwconfig:
"lo no wireless extenions"

ovadyah
8th October 2009, 07:12 PM
ifconfig:

"lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX & TX packets:22 with 0 in all catagories

soxs060389
8th October 2009, 07:22 PM
ls -l /dev/eth* does this show any eth devices? (Probably not, as ifconfig does not show any, but jsut in case)
and plx append output from:

cat /etc/modprobe.conf
cat /etc/modprobe.d

ovadyah
8th October 2009, 07:58 PM
ls -l /dev/eth* = no such file or dir

cat /etc/modprobe.conf = nothing, file is 0 bytes

ls /etc/modprobe.d =

anaconda.conf blacklist.conf blacklist-visor.conf dist.conf dist-oss.conf floppy-pnp.conf

The modprobe.conf is not in modprobe.d, it is in /etc ---should it be in modprobe.d?

ovadyah
8th October 2009, 08:12 PM
Also, we just notice during boot up a fatal error:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31-56.fc12.x86_64/modules.dep: no such file or directory

The boot process finishes with a couple other fails related to networking--
ip6 tables and NFS daemon

then after log in I am fine, everything works that I have tried except the network.

soxs060389
8th October 2009, 09:41 PM
Also, we just notice during boot up a fatal error:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31-56.fc12.x86_64/modules.dep: no such file or directory

The boot process finishes with a couple other fails related to networking--
ip6 tables and NFS daemon

then after log in I am fine, everything works that I have tried except the network.

That's no good, so it seems you got a messed up update.. and that's a point where you should consider a reinstall... but befora that, install an old kernel (probably you have some lying around) and try to boot up that one

Zanpactou
9th October 2009, 12:04 AM
Installed from F12 alpha dvd after snap3 would not finish. Had all working and did all the updates save one curious error concerning NetworkManager, could not erase - or something.
Never the less, all was working this AM and then I went to test another device on our network and when I plugged the network cable back into my machine....no network icon, no network connection.
Straight after doing :
su -
yum check-update && yum upgrade
exit
You will see something like : Installing NetworkManager-gnome failed.
So without rebooting so that your net connection does not dissapear, do something like this :
su -
yum erase NetworkManager-gnome-0.7.995-1.git20090804.fc12.i686
yum install NetworkManager-gnome
exit
NetworkManager-gnome-0.7.995-1.git20090804.fc12.i686 will be a different name if x86_64.
Don't use packagekit instead of just yum to update Fed 12. You'll find some big bugs or it will just sit there and do nothing.

There is another warning message in between which I have seen in booting

"WARNING: Depreciated config file /etc/nodprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d"

su -
mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d
exit

Guntur Photos on Instagram - Aleppo - Zhu Cheng City Travel Photos on Instagram -