PDA

View Full Version : administrative login in the user account?

kernel_klink
25th September 2009, 01:05 AM
Hi I am a new Linux user and have a question about the administrative authentication. When I am logged in as a user and I need to do something that requires root privileges the little password window comes up and I enter the root password. My question is how long are the root privileges granted for?

I noticed that a few minutes after finishing checking out the firewall configuration tool and closing the window that I was still able to re-enter the fire wall tool and other administrative tools. How do I log out of the root privileges without logging out and then back into my account?

Hlingler
25th September 2009, 02:12 AM
My question is how long are the root privileges granted for?If I recall correctly, the default timeout is 5 minutes.

I've never bothered to look into changing the default behavior. Try reading: man sudo.

V

zackf
26th September 2009, 05:00 AM
Back in the day a little "shield" appeared in the notification area when I had entered the root pw. I just right clicked it and selected "forget authentication"

Guapore Travel Photos on Instagram - Chaman Photos - Puerto Aisen Photos on Instagram