PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing fedora 11 from DVD

komotu
23rd September 2009, 03:10 PM
When I try to check my DVD before I install it, it displays 1 percent completed and stays untested or if I want to by pass the test It displays " detected the medium" and stays with that displays without installing.

Any ideas ?

kom

Sagitter
23rd September 2009, 03:25 PM
Read this guide (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-22389.html) to check iso file and burn another dvd.

stoat
23rd September 2009, 03:36 PM
Read this guide (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-22389.html) to check iso file and burn another dvd.Hello komotu and Sagitter,

It's probably a good idea (always, actually) to verify the integrity of downloaded ISO files. However, that link suggested by Sagitter is ancient and refers to md5sum and MD5 hashes. Fedora stopped using MD5 hashes with Fedora Core 4. Lately, it has changed again and now uses SHA-256 hashes. So the advice it still good, and the concept is basically the same, but use sha256sum in Linux to generate hashes to compare to those in the CHECKSUM file for Fedora ISOs. In Windows, you can use the free utility known as HashCalc.

komotu
23rd September 2009, 03:40 PM
The iso image check ok wirh md5sum.exe. This promlem is shown after burning the iso and I am in the process of installing.

stoat
23rd September 2009, 03:46 PM
The iso image check ok wirh md5sum.exe.How did you do that when the hashes in the CHECKSUM file are SHA-256 hashes?

This promlem is shown after burning the iso and I am in the process of installing.According to your first post, your disk is not completing the media test in Anaconda, and if you skip it the installation never starts. That situation can be caused by a corrupt ISO file. It's not unheard of. It can also be caused by a bad burn or a disk of poor optical quality.

Sagitter
23rd September 2009, 04:00 PM
that link suggested by Sagitter is ancient and refers to md5sum and MD5 hashes. Fedora stopped using MD5 hashes with Fedora Core 4. Lately, it has changed again and now uses SHA-256 hashes.

I'm sorry, i am not aware of it.:(

komotu
24th September 2009, 08:30 PM
Hello,

For some reasons it allowed me to test the DVD medium and it checked ok and I proceeded with installation at the end of installation it represented me with REBOOT and the followings happened;

1. I could not remove the DVD from the tray and my mouse pointer disappeared. I just turned the power off-on and upon hitting ESC key twice, it displays WELCOME screen but no mouse pointer to click the FORWARD button.

Any body with this same ideas?