PDA

View Full Version : Empathy as Default over Pidgin?

Demz
7th September 2009, 06:35 AM
what do you prefer as Default? Empathy 2.28 or Pidgin as Default?

since Ubuntu have a poll on this im making one to

P.S if a CM or ASdmin could fix up the typo in Should in the poll would be appreciated

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1154769 Ubuntu forum Poll

typerlc
9th September 2009, 04:00 AM
Who cares? You can always install the other.

Demz
9th September 2009, 04:09 AM
yes but as you can see in that ubuntu threads that Empathy lacks Ability to do a few things, major show stopper is there is No Privacy in Empathy, you need to have both installed side by side to block or unblock someone

typerlc
9th September 2009, 05:13 AM
But that's my point. Why do you care which is the "default"? Just un-install the one you don't want, and install the one you do want. Or leave both installed. Can you see some issue with this?

Demz
9th September 2009, 05:39 AM
why do i care?. well i dont care, i just see no point making it Default if it lacks those features as people will just have to install Pidgin at the end of the day which beats the purpose of making Empathy Default.

lovenemesis
14th September 2009, 06:23 PM
I had never heard about Empathy as an IM before I was told that it would replace Pidgin as a default IM.

So I decided to give a try, here is my personal feeling about it:

1. There is a pop window asking me to import accounts from pidgin. But it somehow did not do what it supposed to do. The account list remained as empty after I checked the box and clicked OK in Importing Accounts window.

2. I can not get the new mail notification of Google Talk whereas Pidgin can.

3. QQ protocol always fails to connect whereas Pidgin can if I manually change the emulated client version to QQ2008. I can not find the similar option in Empathy.

4. (Surprisingly) Lack of my most frequently use smiley in Google Talk: the Heart. Empathy has 15 smiley whereas Pidgin has 16. I think this must be a small mistake.

5. No IRC protocol in the account list ! I only have 10 types of accounts available in available and IRC is not there. I check the Empathy website and IRC is listed there. I thought it is just my case. But the empathy on my GF's fresh installed and updated Fedora 11 has the same problem.

6. The Facebook IM plugins for libpurple is not listed as well although on Empathy website said " all those supported by Pidgin".

7. Good point is that I can use Send-to in right click menu of Nautilus to send files.

8. The video chat via Google Talk fails as well as Pidgin 2.6.2. Actually I do not quite fancy about this feature since the Skype on Linux works pretty well.

Above all, I would like to replace the Empathy with my handy purple pigeon if Empathy was set as default IM on Fedora 12.

Others?

RahulSundaram
14th September 2009, 11:33 PM
Hi,

While evaluating the differences, make sure you are running Empathy from Rawhide. A number of major changes are not available in general releases such as Fedora 11

Demz
15th September 2009, 12:09 AM
i'll wait an test the Beta or pre-beta out when LiveCD media is made but in Empathy 2.27.1 it crashed on me as soon as i went to Add the IRC account apart from that it works fine, however i do believe that the MSN feature sending an recieving offline messages has not been implemented correctly yet?

Example: you can send an offliner but you cant get one back?

lovenemesis
15th September 2009, 04:48 AM
Hi,

While evaluating the differences, make sure you are running Empathy from Rawhide. A number of major changes are not available in general releases such as Fedora 11

Oh, yes, you are right. I will check it again once the Beta version is ready. Hope these problems (most of them are quite small ones) will be fixed.

I wish I could use the Rawhide but the direct http network installation process is too slow under my network connection. I have to wait for the Beta version with torrent.

One thing: Could someone point me out any other feature indicating higher desktop integration in Empathy besides nautilus-sendto?

I am just new to GTK+ toolkit and totally blind to GNOME framework and Pidgin development. I am wondering whether it is possible to develop a GNOME specific plugin for Pidgin to implement the nautilus-sendto.

Cheers,

Demz
15th September 2009, 05:09 AM
what you should get is the pre-beta LiveCD

Firewing1
15th September 2009, 06:25 AM
I voted 'yes' because I find that in the end, it doesn't really matter which program is default but rather which features are presented to users. The Pidgin project has taken so long to implement what users have been asking for ages (VV support) that I think the switch to Empathy is a good change, especially for newcomers to Linux looking to see what Fedora is capable of.

BTW, I don't mean to disrespect the Pidgin developers in any way. They've done an excellent job, but sometimes as a developer you can get so deep into the development of a program that you need to take a moment to step back and see what feedback the users are offering. Although the Pidgin team is making good progress in other areas, I do think that they should have tackled VV sooner. It certainly would have made a lot of users happy.

Demz
15th September 2009, 06:37 AM
as i read the pidgin mailing list, i think there planning something that Empathy has ( themes ) but i do not know what version they will do this in, maybe 2.8.0 i dont know

theskunk
10th November 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm actally having trouble running empathy. It starts, but says I have no protocols installed -- anybody have any thoughts as to why?

Running version: 2.28.1.1