PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 12 will not boot

Golf4Fun
26th August 2009, 06:42 PM
Downloaded Fedora 12 KDE Alpha Live CD and tried to boot on my laptop which is happily running Fedora 11

The CD starts and gets to the Fedora logo and freezes. Hitting any keyboard command does nothing.

I tried using nv and vesa but no luck. Still freezes at the logo.

Looking for ideas.

Acer Aspire 5720 with intel graphics.

AdamW
26th August 2009, 10:18 PM
can you hit esc before it gets to the logo, so you can see the console messages and see where it's freezing?

Golf4Fun
26th August 2009, 11:41 PM
Can't read my own writing but it looked like this

mknod: '/dev/mapper/control': File exists
Unable to find persistent overlays; using temporary
grep: ] No such file or directory
sbin /real-init: line 487: [: missing ']'
Welcome To Fedora
Press I to enter interactive startup
Starting udev:
Kernel panic - not syncing: stack-protector: kernel stack is corrupted in; f7e58859

Burned original KDE disc at a slow speed and am in process of downloading both Live CD's of KDE and Gnome and will try again to see if i had a possible corrupt CD image.

Hoyt
26th August 2009, 11:54 PM
Video card HD-3650

Live Fedora 12 alpha i686 Gnome CD fails - says radeon driver not loaded.
Tried to boot with xdriver=vesa - this seems to be ignored.

Result - black screen.

Can get to runlevel 3 - any way to get the radeon driver loaded and x-server started?

Golf4Fun
27th August 2009, 01:08 AM
New downloads of Fedora 12 KDE and Gnome both failed to boot. Same problem as identified in first post.
Both disks had good checksums and were burned at slow speed.

diamond_ramsey
27th August 2009, 02:03 AM
Question: Is there an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? :)

I have virtual machines running on Sun VirtualBox, VirtualPC, and VMWare, I just needed to have the file created from one of my other virtual machines in order for the Fedora 12 Alpha to be working from the blank screen. Hope this helps. :)

Demz
27th August 2009, 02:26 AM
i dont think there is no xorg.config file no more, there hasnt been one since x-server 1.6.0 , i now think you have to manually create one yourself

AdamW
27th August 2009, 06:03 PM
You have to create xorg.conf if you need one:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf

hoyt: what happens if you just do 'startx' from runlevel 3? system hangs? do you see any useful errors? you can create an xorg.conf according to the instructions above, and set the driver to vesa, and see if that helps, too.

golf4fun: can you take a photo of the error and upload it somewhere? your transcription looks a bit garbled, it's hard to see exactly what happens. thanks!

Hoyt
27th August 2009, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=AdamW;1259033]You have to create xorg.conf if you need one:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf

hoyt: what happens if you just do 'startx' from runlevel 3? system hangs? do you see any useful errors? you can create an xorg.conf according to the instructions above, and set the driver to vesa, and see if that helps, too.

If "startx" is run thescreen goes black and keyboard control is lost.

Unable to create xorg.conf; when "Xorg -configure" is entered the screen goes black just as above.

By the way, on initital boot the first message is "Failed to initialize radeon disabling IOCI"

jwmueller
27th August 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm also getting this problem. I don't believe the discussion about runlevel and xorg.conf is relevant... kernel panic comes out before the "OK" for starting UDEV. The address displayed on my system is different, don't think that's surprising.

I removed the RHGB QUIET parms on the grub kernel statement and don't get any more info displayed.

Text I receive:
Welcome to Fedora
Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev: Kernel panic - not syncing: stack-protector: Kernel stack is corrupted in: f8d8d859.

I installed F12 from DVD... am working on getting F12 live CD created now. The F11 live CD doesn't open the /var/log/faillog or lastlog. /var/log/messages is empty. /var/log/dmesg doesn't exist.

if this is suspected to be related to video... my lspci shows ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

Jeff

jwmueller
27th August 2009, 11:23 PM
Booting with F12 live CD basically gives same results.... with a couple additional messages before the "Welcome to Fedora" text. Here's the earlier messages:
mknod: `/dev/mapper/control': File exists
Unable to find persistent overlay; using temporary
grep: ]: No such file or directory
sbin/real-init: line 487: [: missing `]'

Then the "Welcome...." and Kernel panic.

Jeff.

jwmueller
27th August 2009, 11:27 PM
Booting on my Thinkpad T60 with Intel graphics card gets the same messages before the "Welcome to..." text, but continues to boot and does not get the Kernel Panic.

My laptop with the Radeon card that is getting the kernel panic is Acer Aspire 5100.

Let me know if there are other aspects of the Acer you'd need.

Jeff.

Golf4Fun
27th August 2009, 11:32 PM
This might be easier to read

mknod: '/dev/mapper/control' : File exists
Unable to find persistent overlay; using temporary
grep: ] No such file or directory
sbin/real-init: line 487: [: missing ']'
Welcome to Fedora
Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev:
Kernel panic - not syncing: stack-protector: kernel stack is corrupted in; f7e58859

Taipei Travel Photos on Instagram - Phoenix - Chittagong Travel Photos -