PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Section Idea

Silpheed2K
21st June 2009, 11:08 AM
I was thinking to myself... and I realise that maybe there should be a Legacy section for all the unsupported old releases of fedora.

It would be a great section for old help with unsupported distros.

Is this a reasonable idea? or can old distros be supported in the current support forums? I'm curious to know.

ilja
21st June 2009, 11:29 AM
I don't see a problem with writing a question about any fedora (core) release in any of the current forums. I would add the release to the title, so it's better noticed, though.

Demz
21st June 2009, 11:45 AM
I was thinking to myself... and I realise that maybe there should be a Legacy section for all the unsupported old releases of fedora.

It would be a great section for old help with unsupported distros.

Is this a reasonable idea? or can old distros be supported in the current support forums? I'm curious to know.

i dont think thats needed, it would beat the puropose of why Fedora dropped supporting Legacy releases

scottro
21st June 2009, 02:11 PM
It's not that it's a bad idea in itself--it's just that people tend to frequently overlook categories anyway. :) (To be fair, some of them aren't really intuitive, such as the fact that a CentOS server question belongs in Linux Chat, because it's not actually Fedora.)

So, I think it would just wind up causing some extra work for the staff, moving things around. As Ilja said, I think it's fine for people to post about their legacy releases, and of course, always best to post the version in the thread title.

For better or worse, however, most of the time, people posting about older releases are simply advised to upgrade.

stevea
21st June 2009, 02:22 PM
Categorizing information is actually very hard problem. In Scottro's "centos server" example it my need reference pointers from "linux chat" and "server" and perhaps others at the same time.

Most difficult problems posed by ppl running FC6 and earlier get a strong "upgrade" shout. Maybe that's appropriate for the person's situation, or maybe not. The fact is that aside from basic config, or pointing them to the upstream source, there isn't much that can be done for these folks.

Then we have the problem that if you are searching for a solution to an F4 problem you might find it under the "legacy" forum category, or you might find it in the conventional category, but far back on the list.

Decnt Idea, but I don't think it actually solves the problem.

ilja
21st June 2009, 02:39 PM
Actually this "categorization" problem should be solved by the tagging system. If used consequently it would take away the need for different subfora, as they would naturally evolve around tag-clouds. This would be a dynamic system, involving over time. But it does require, that every user does actually use those tags in a consistent way.

Bandung Instagram Photos - Niger Instagram Photos - Puyang -