PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Pollo
15th September 2004, 09:50 PM
Im assuming that everyone on this forum has much more experience that I do....anyhow read on....

So for quite sometime I was contemplating to switch XP for some flavor of Linux to try it out and just in fact to get familar with that system. For quite sometime I didn't want to do it by myself and rather seek someone out to hold my hand.... well all my hands were out of the city/country/world... so I decided to grow some hair on my balls and did it myself... I kissed all of my XP goodbye and didn't even bother to save **** and installed FC2.. I bought 2 books 1 fedora 1 unix just to get familiar with the commands but to tell you the truth... I didn't even need them..

The hardest part was to press F12 in time during the Bios screen so you can change the disk boot seq to a CDrom instead of floppy ( I dont' have floppy drive).. anyways the rest was pretty self explanatory.. Partition/Reformat - Install - Boot - and wait for the cable guy to hook up your cable int ernet.. FC2 detected all devices in the system including my dell lcd/tv... Anyway I still gotta get my Cds to play music and DVDs , and to set up the printer but other than that everything works like a charm...

Just sharing the good experience im having so far in this totally new world ! Now I need to learn how to install those darn updates
:)

superbnerd
15th September 2004, 09:54 PM
please visit this fedora faq (http://www.fedorafaq.org/) it will save you a lot of time.
oh and welcome to the fedora community!

imdeemvp
15th September 2004, 10:06 PM
and check out my helpful links too

Shadow Skill
15th September 2004, 11:01 PM
Glad your transistion was so ###### smooth, at least some people have it nice and painless. :D

imdeemvp
15th September 2004, 11:09 PM
Glad your transistion was so ###### smooth, at least some people have it nice and painless. :D

thats not the case all the times....but i wish it was too

stormzen
16th September 2004, 12:19 AM
I even took a class on Unix to get a feel for the nuts and bolts of the OS, before I felt comfortable enough to install it on my main desktop. (Had been experiementing with Linux on the laptop for a while, now, getting a feel for the 'atmosphere' of *nix. Still trying to get a few things working... some things I can't seem to find documenation on... but other than that, all is well. (So far it is my favorite distro out of Debian (don't even go there), SuSE, and FC2. (I also tried Mandrake, but it seemed *too* simple for my needs.)

Pollo
16th September 2004, 12:26 AM
Thank you guys for the welcome. A few friends of mines who are .nix experts told me a long time ago... " the best way to learn any other OS is to get rid of all Windows evidence in your home.

Shadow Skill
16th September 2004, 01:04 AM
Heh I am not at liberty to do that since my desktop serves as the network controller, for my home network, and certain things just don't work right under Fedora. (Have yet to try and fight to get my tv tuner to work.) Most everything I want to do at this point does work and work well in Fedora. (I haven't tried any coding software yet, but I have all but solved my video playback issues :D )

imdeemvp
16th September 2004, 01:37 AM
Thank you guys for the welcome. A few friends of mines who are .nix experts told me a long time ago... " the best way to learn any other OS is to get rid of all Windows evidence in your home.

very good advice!

Korgan Photos on Instagram - Addanki - Tapah Road Instagram Photos