PDA

View Full Version : How to enable Finger Print reader on F11

MrFreddy
7th May 2009, 08:09 AM
Hi guys,

i have Asus laptop with supported finger print reader. Everything appears to be installed however i can't find how to actually enable it. There is suppose to be option to setup finger print in System - Preferences - About Me, but it is missing in my case.
The reader is AES1600 and i can see it in lsusb. I had it working on F10. I installed F11 preview 64-bit yesterday.

Thanks

Piotr Pyclik
7th May 2009, 10:20 PM
The same problem, all essential fprintd-* packages are installed. What's more strange, is that fingerprint reader worked flawlessly on Fedora 11 Beta LiveCD.

Piotr Pyclik
8th May 2009, 08:22 AM
OK, I am able to login and unlock screensaver using fingerprint reader. I just had to use fprintd-enroll utility, so the only problem is, that button in gnome-about-me doesn't appear.

RahulSundaram
8th May 2009, 10:42 AM
Hi,

For bugs, make sure you report them

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report

Piotr Pyclik
8th May 2009, 11:49 AM
OK, I'll file the bug.

ACiD GRiM
9th May 2009, 07:25 AM
Here's a similar bug

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=499732

asqwerty
9th May 2009, 08:29 AM
I suppose you already had installed pam_fprint. You need to edit /etc/pam.d/system-auth and add the line

auth sufficient pam_fprint.so

in the rigth section.

then you can do

# pam_fprint_enroll

but probably you will have rigths problem but you can grab your fingerprint as root a then just make

# mv .fprint /home/user/
# chown -R user.user /home/user/.fprint

this should make the trick

Piotr Pyclik
9th May 2009, 10:00 AM
I have line you mentioned in my /etc/pam.d/system.auth. File pam_fprint.so is from package fprintd-pam and is located in /lib64/security/. Unfortunately I don't have pam_fprint_enroll command... I tried to do fprintd-enroll from my user account and it made me able to unlock gnome-screensaver using fingeprint reader, but it worked only once. I still couldn't use fingeprint reader in GDM...

MrFreddy
11th May 2009, 05:40 AM
Hey guys,
thanks for your replies. From memory i already have the line /etc/pam.d/system.auth. I did try to follow up instructions from fprint home page but then i ran out of time. I will try to enroll manually tonight and let you know. I am at work on different laptop at the moment.
FL

MrFreddy
11th May 2009, 11:29 AM
OK @ home now.
Tried fprintd-enroll and i got this message:
$ fprintd-enroll

** ERROR **: list_devices failed: No devices available
aborting...
Aborted

However lsusb sees the device. Sounds like the bug mentioned in one of the previous posts.
$ lsusb|grep Authen
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 08ff:1600 AuthenTec, Inc. AES1600

Well i guess i have to wait for final release.
Thanks for your help.
FL

phenyl
12th May 2009, 01:28 AM
Problem solved, see at the end

I have another problem.
I can register my fingerprints and login with it fine, but instead of my login-name it shows 'unknown' in the login-window and also in the gnome bar once logged in.
In the terminal, my username is shown just fine, however.

(Thinkpad T61)
[myusername@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.29.2-126.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 4 04:46:15 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

-> Problem solved: For some reason, under 'Administration->Users and groups', my full name was changed from my name to 'unknown' when installing the fingerprint support, so I changed it back and now login and gnome show my name.

NightSinner
3rd June 2009, 11:16 PM
I did everything here mentioned, but when I tried the GUI or terminal it gives me this

[NightSinner@TheClub Documents]$ pam_fprint_enroll
This program will enroll your finger, unconditionally overwriting any selected print that was enrolled previously. If you want to continue, press enter, otherwise hit Ctrl+C

Found device claimed by AuthenTec AES1610 driver
aes1610:error [dev_init] could not claim interface 0
fp:error [fp_dev_open] device initialisation failed, driver=aes1610
Could not open device.

The GUI gives me ¨Could not open Device. Permission problem.¨ although it finds the fingerprint reader and the driver. Here is the output of lsusb

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 08ff:1600 AuthenTec, Inc. AES1600

It uses the driver AES1610.

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@asqwerty
I did the pam_fprint_enroll command in the terminal as root and successfully scanned my finger. But the problem is that I can´t find the .fprint file to move it to my home directory.

NightSinner

cgrim
8th June 2009, 08:17 AM
I have line you mentioned in my /etc/pam.d/system.auth. File pam_fprint.so is from package fprintd-pam and is located in /lib64/security/. Unfortunately I don't have pam_fprint_enroll command... I tried to do fprintd-enroll from my user account and it made me able to unlock gnome-screensaver using fingeprint reader, but it worked only once. I still couldn't use fingeprint reader in GDM...

You have to install gdm-plugin-fingerprint package.

Malambo Travel Photos on Instagram - Sant Vicenc dels Horts Photos - Premia de Mar Travel Photos