PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.0 Preview release out tomorrow!!

ghenry
13th September 2004, 12:46 PM
According to this from lxer.com (http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/22144/index.html) :

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5264

We took one more important change into the builds last night, moving from a blacklist to a whitelist for external protocol handlers, so today's builds are the new candidate 1.0PR builds. If all goes well with these builds, they'll become the official Firefox 1.0 Preview Release builds on Tuesday morning. Please help us test these bits and if you find any major regressions, please file bugs and nominate those as PR blockers with the bug flag "blocking-aviary1.0PR?" so that the Aviary team will see.

sayeeth
13th September 2004, 12:55 PM
Looks like Firefox 1.0 is finally at bay. Well I am personally not much of a beta or RC product tester, but I am sure much of the community is very excited by this announcement and can't wait to get their hands on this fine and lean browser ( My only browser of choice ;) ). Guess I will wait for the final release. Good luck testers! :D

ghaefb
13th September 2004, 01:29 PM
I can't wait :)

ewdi
13th September 2004, 02:00 PM
It will be one good releases, i've used firefox since the 0.7x and has been happy with it since, dumped opera for it

foolish
13th September 2004, 02:29 PM
I used it from 0.4 to 0.7, then epiphany came along and I realized firefox isn't really needed in a gnome desktop.

ghaefb
13th September 2004, 02:34 PM
Remember Firebird :)

CrystalCowboy
15th September 2004, 11:18 PM
I have the 1.0PR release now on Linux. The behaviour of ctrl-U in the URL line has changed. It used to clear out the line; I think this is a semi-standard for Unix/Linux software. Now it pops up a window woth the page source instead. Is there some other simple keystroke that will do what ctrl-U used to do?

superbnerd
15th September 2004, 11:23 PM
actually, the ctrl+u opens the page's source in firefox-0.9.3, also.

imdeemvp
16th September 2004, 01:53 AM
I can't wait :)

i cant wait neither.....sweet firefox! :D

Shadow Skill
16th September 2004, 02:29 AM
Have they finally made an installer that works in a sane manner, because the last version's installer was just crap and left me doing strange and very hokey things to get it set to be the default browser. (I don't understand why [last version] it simply can't have an option to make itself the default like it does with windows.)

I use firefox exsclusively on windows and the new PR is excellent all of my nessecary extentions work perfectly.(single window is the only one I need.) The one thing I wish they did with this version was cut the memory used for multiple tabs, it gets a bit monsterous after I open four tabs it uses almost 10 more megs of memory to have four tabs open than it takes IE to have four windows open to the home page, then when opened to the same exact sites IE takes a 7meg or so lead in the monster department coming in around 69megs as opposed to FireFox's 62 megs. The gap needs to widen even more; I'd be happy if they cut memory usage in half (I'm dreaming I know.) then they could say "more features and less ram."

CrystalCowboy
16th September 2004, 04:27 PM
actually, the ctrl+u opens the page's source in firefox-0.9.3, also.
If your pointer is on the page, yes, but not if your pointer is on the URL line. At least that's the way it worked for me on a Linux platform.

My question stands, is there a different key assignment to do the task?

ghaefb
16th September 2004, 04:29 PM
I use ctrl+l and it selects adress text..

superbnerd
16th September 2004, 08:34 PM
well, the Ctrl+U still shows the source in version 0.9.3 on mac os x even when you put the pointer over the url.