PDA

View Full Version : Enabling kernel-mode-setting through Nouveau....

RaiCoss
15th April 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi. i was just curious where i should put nouveau.modeset=1 in the grub bootloader to enable kernel-mode-setting.

Thanks!:D

SlowJet
15th April 2009, 10:46 PM
Run it with nomodeset and check fps in glxgears
then run it with nouveau.modeset=1
It will ignore the parm or use it
if it uses it the glxgears fps will be different.

In either case it is software drv, not hardware.

SJ

AdamW
15th April 2009, 10:56 PM
You put it at the end of the kernel line - the one that looks something like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.1-68.fc11.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

just add it on to that.

SlowJet
16th April 2009, 12:29 AM
ops, I miss read that where i for an if!

Adam, what is the status of nouveau for the older nv.
F11 will not boot at all on my Pent III with a mx nv11 card.
I can't used vesa or nv drv as the nouveau seems to own all 3 now?

This occurred between Apr 1st-6th.

SJ

AdamW
16th April 2009, 02:51 AM
"Adam, what is the status of nouveau for the older nv.
F11 will not boot at all on my Pent III with a mx nv11 card."

it's expected to work. If it doesn't, file a bug :) Can you try booting to runlevel 3, logging in and running 'startx' - it'll probably hang - then reboot back to runlevel 3 again and take a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, then attach that when filing a bug report?

"I can't used vesa or nv drv as the nouveau seems to own all 3 now?"

No, that's not right. Both the nv and vesa drivers are still available. Just make sure the packages are installed and create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and set Driver to "nv" or "vesa".

tyr0
16th April 2009, 04:13 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to Fedora too. I've tested it a while ago, however, it was not what i was looking for. But today I'm impressed by the beta of Fedora 11. It will be a nice release and I will give it a try.
I use a Nvidia GF 6600 GT and I'm wondering when older Nvidia chipsets will be supported by nouveau and KMS. Will an update be released for Fedora 11 or will it be included in Fedora 12?

AdamW
16th April 2009, 04:28 PM
They already are supported by nouveau. If you have trouble with nouveau in F11 Beta, file a bug. KMS support for older NVIDIA chipsets should be added sometime between F11 and F12 I believe.

tyr0
16th April 2009, 05:31 PM
Thank you, I know that they are supported, works great here. My question was referring to the KMS support by nouveau. I'm looking forward to it. :)

SlowJet
17th April 2009, 01:03 AM
"Adam, what is the status of nouveau for the older nv.
F11 will not boot at all on my Pent III with a mx nv11 card."

it's expected to work. If it doesn't, file a bug :) Can you try booting to runlevel 3, logging in and running 'startx' - it'll probably hang - then reboot back to runlevel 3 again and take a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, then attach that when filing a bug report?

"I can't used vesa or nv drv as the nouveau seems to own all 3 now?"

No, that's not right. Both the nv and vesa drivers are still available. Just make sure the packages are installed and create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and set Driver to "nv" or "vesa".

The boot.iso anaconda for Apr 16th is total trash. Many bugs.
No checksum, python errors, needed alternate video, it would not handle old LVM.
Starting new MB size error about length not > 0.

I used the snap1, and no luck starting.

Iused Beta with rawhide updates.
It crashed at end with python eject error but completed.

reboot hung.
Try rhgb xdriver=vesa nomodeset.
Reveled failed HAL and hung on gen SSHA1 RSA key, that failed after a bit.
And the FirstBoot came up but
there was no keyboard or mouse.

There is no way to get the xorg.conf on the disk, but that will not work without HAL and I can't use sftp with out a host key.

On another computer it is running in VBox fine with the latest koji updated and uses vesa drv via an xorg.conf with Monitor and screen sections.

I'm typing this from there right now and it has been running for hours at a time.

SJ

SJ

RaiCoss
17th April 2009, 03:11 AM
+1 Thanks for the advice, worked perfectly!

Bagepalli Photos - Payyannur Photos on Instagram - Lombard Photos on Instagram