PDA

View Full Version : Can i Copy & backup my finished & updated Fedora 10 Live Usb?

andyhavoc
15th April 2009, 12:39 PM
Hello,

For 2 days now i have been updating my installed usb fedora 10,
and after installing nvidia drivers, and clicking on display to fix the resolution,
it freezes, and upon restart, i cant even log in to the GUI of Fedora.

So here is my question:

Now that i have updated and customized my usb Fedora 10,
if i go into windows, and copy paste the entire usb contents,
the next time my usb OS craches, can i format my usb,
and then just copy paste the backup i made on it, and have all
the customizations and updates?

Or is there another way to back up things from my usb?
I just have been tired of reformating 3 times a day and updating 400mb data for 2 days.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Havoc

barf
27th May 2009, 12:24 PM
Stop updating it, it will break. You can add packages but don't do a full update.

poppo144
20th June 2009, 03:57 AM
the easy way to back up your updated USB is copying the file named overlay-.... in your LiveOS directory. if you are running the live USB this file is in /mnt/live/LiveOS. one problem of live USB is that you must prepare enough persistence overlay space if you need to update or install your packages. small persistence will result in a crash. in that case you can copy that file back to the LiveOS directory.

loejf
2nd July 2009, 11:52 AM
Hi.
Does anyone know, how to get data out of the overlay file?
Im not able to use, even not if I make a new key, and copy it over at the usb.

apirdy
1st February 2010, 05:21 AM
I am not sure, I am new at this. But you may need to change some of your boot options to use the old overlay file (possibly update the UUID), if you are installing with no persistence in hopes of using that other file you will have to add even more boot options. Sorry i can't be of more help.
-xander