PDA

View Full Version : Preupgrade From ext3 to ext4?

Boricua
2nd April 2009, 03:57 AM
Sorry if this has been brought before, but I found nothing about. I got very good results using preupgrade to move from F9 to F10 with minimal hassles on 3 machines. Although I'm aware of the virtues of a fresh install, I'm inclined to try preupgrade again, except I'm not sure I can move to the new ext4 filesystem by any other means but a fresh install :confused:. So any hints in this regard will be appreciated.

RahulSundaram
2nd April 2009, 07:00 AM
Hi4

After running preupgrade, when you reboot into Anaconda, you should pass "ext4migrate" to upgrade to Ext4. Note that existing files will be in Ext3 format and only new files will be in Ext4 format if you do this and you won't get the full benefits. Also it is highly recommended that you have a backup if you intend to run Ext4 during the test releases.

Boricua
22nd April 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi: here is an interesting article I just found regarding this matter:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7272

phoenixpb
22nd April 2009, 04:49 PM
Hi4

After running preupgrade, when you reboot into Anaconda, you should pass "ext4migrate" to upgrade to Ext4. Note that existing files will be in Ext3 format and only new files will be in Ext4 format if you do this and you won't get the full benefits. Also it is highly recommended that you have a backup if you intend to run Ext4 during the test releases.

i have a external 750 gigas bytes USB 2 hard drive
it is in ntfs format (windows xp)

is there a tool to convert ntfs to ext4 ?

thanks

wneumann
22nd April 2009, 09:58 PM
phoenixpb: if you have stuff on the disk you want to save the only option is backup/reformat/restore

Gwalior Fort Travel Photos - Edificio Costa Azul Photos on Instagram