PDA

View Full Version : which OS should i use for a server

DeadPark121
11th March 2009, 08:05 PM
^_^ hello again everyone. anyone that's been following my posts probably knows by now that i'm never happy with the simple, and always like to play with my computer set ups.

my newest fun game, is turning my tower into a server for my two laptops. the tower has nearly 4TB in it right now, and i figured turning it into a server would be an easier way to get at all that information from my laptops.

so here we go with the first steps, which OS should i use to make my tower a server?

or would a peer-to-peer network be an easier solution?

grndplane
11th March 2009, 08:10 PM
I hear FreeNAS is pretty good.

axet
11th March 2009, 09:22 PM
i use fedora 10ppc. with vncserver with linuxdcpp+ktorrent installed.

Jake
11th March 2009, 09:39 PM
You could give CentOS a try :)

It's as stable as RHEL (Because it is, only renamed & all trademarks & logo's removed).

Or, you could manually compile the SRPM's from Redhat, as they are free and open source. Except, this way, you have to compile your own updates & all rpm's your self. Though you can keep the RHEL logo's as long as you don't distribute it :)

or if you like the easyness, try ubuntu server edition :)

axet
11th March 2009, 09:47 PM
compiling redhat cat take half of your live

bigtux
11th March 2009, 10:22 PM
you'd use CentOS it's very stable

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)

marcrblevins
11th March 2009, 10:58 PM
I would recommend CentOS as well, longer cycle.

stefan1975
11th March 2009, 11:06 PM
well i would suggest something totally different and advise you to go with CentOS. boringly stable, not exciting at all it just works and works and works.

If you want something stable yet easy to use and configurable through a webinterface giving all nifty home-server features like http scanning, file sharing, email server, virus scanning, etc. you could also check out ClarkConnect it is a centos based installable home server that has a free comuunity edition. I use it at home as a firewall/gateway/webserver/etc because i am lazy and it works like a charm, plus it is CentOS.

If you do not want to stay "in family" debian is also a pretty safe bet.

S.

Jake
12th March 2009, 12:32 AM
compiling redhat cat take half of your liveActually, it doesn't take that long, I tried it once just for fun :D

DeadPark121
12th March 2009, 03:28 AM
well, i'm hearing a lot of good things for centOS

all the computers have different OS's. the tower is going to be the only one with linux. my computer has windows XP, and my wife's has vista. will they all work on the centOS server set up?

marcrblevins
12th March 2009, 05:05 AM
Since your client-side are Windows flavors, I recommend you using CentOS to be your Samba server & Print Server. It could be headless as well, no Desktop Environment needed.

If you have a chunk load of hard drive space, then go ahead use it with Desktop Environment, KDE, GNome, XFCE, etc. Your preference.

You may want to add a huge stand alone hard drive to be dedicated for backup purposes.

Cheers.

ShivaS
12th March 2009, 11:35 AM
I vote for CentOS as well, since I've used it as a home server and it worked great( changed the motherboard and CPU so now I have to reinstall CentOS ).
You need Desktop Environment if you want to be able to connect to the server through VNC/RDP/NX.

alMubarmij
14th March 2009, 11:34 AM
I prefer Slackware and CentOS.

GCFreak
18th March 2009, 08:01 AM
I use CentOS as my home server and most of the computers it serves are Windows computers, works VERY nicely. =)

mauser1891
17th April 2009, 08:10 AM
Slack or Deb

Gaurav Prabhu
17th April 2009, 10:00 AM
Not used, but from what I have heard from my friend, Cent OS is good to build a server system.

Sinja Travel Photos - Dresden - Tbilisskaya Travel Photos