PDA

View Full Version : Rateings good or bad?

earobinson111
5th September 2004, 05:21 PM
when people rate me how can i tell if its a good or bad rateing?

foolish
5th September 2004, 06:31 PM
Look at the green (or black in your case) square next to the number of posts. Yours is black and when I put my mouse over it it says: "earobinson111 can only hope to improve".

This means you've been getting more bad reputation than good and you've decreased to the point of getting to the lower levels of reputation.

In your user control panel you'll also see the number of points total. Once you get a certain amount of points you will increase in level.

Jman
6th September 2004, 03:35 AM
And of course rating other people's posts is good. Feedback is always welcome.

imdeemvp
6th September 2004, 03:44 AM
foolish i disagree with the method.....ONE post alone can elimante your reputation. i think it should strike three and then lose your reputation.

it took one for me .......and how come i cant turn it OFF!? :mad:

and after getting good feedback the points have not CHANGED it is still -26 before points given.

Ug
6th September 2004, 09:01 AM
Currently Admins give or take 10 points in reputation. People with one green square award 1 or take 1 point. Folks with a black square neither award or take anyway anything. And Foolish gives and takes 2 points. :p

superbnerd
6th September 2004, 09:11 AM
i agree with imdeemvp. an admin should not be able to decimate a person's reputation to an unrecoverable state for just one post that is different them the personal opinion of that particular admin. a little more balance of power will keep the system running.

Ug
6th September 2004, 09:13 AM
The system is based on an earnt status. I give out a lot of reputation - so I can't see what the harm would be of me using it.

imdeemvp
6th September 2004, 10:27 AM
superbnerd,

it really doesnt matter what my reputation is on this forum, you know what really matters to me!? is that i can make a sick child very happy with a clown nose in my face.....and that i do at work.

unlike other folks that they base their reputation on little things they know (linux being one of them) i base my reputation on my character and way of life i conduct outside this forum

so what if some poeple know linux more than me that does not make them good human beings as you can see knowing linux can make them look down on other people, when i done a bad post no one was kind enough to pm me and let me know this is the correct answer or should put an extra effort in submitting a better answer

so remember this, i get more joy of helping some one getting out of bed with a smile in their faces knowing they will get better soon!

my good reputation is at my job and my salary in the last 5 years was increase upto 50% due to my effecient work and help to others

you know what linux does? it just provides me with a free operation system and free technical support :D

btw what kind of quote is that?

earobinson111
6th September 2004, 04:33 PM
Ok but when i get rated how i know if it was good or bad since my user cp looks like this. I also think the system is bad, like I am a noob and have been given bad rateings and the best help i can give people is to ask questions as well as i can and hope that if some one has the same problem as me i can reffer them to the right link (and i have tryed this). But for me to get good rateings is very hard being a noob.

I like the 3 strikes, and i also think people should have a choice eg:
normal users would have the range 1 : -1
foolish would have 2 : -2
mods would have like: 5 : -5
and admins would have 10 : -10

Also because i have bad feed back i cant rate other people (I understand this is to stop people from takeing it out on the person that did it to them) would it not make more sence then to have it set up so that you can not rate the person who rated you for like a month or so?

tashirosgt
6th September 2004, 06:48 PM
Here's a suggestion for an additional rating: The forum could offer a "question of the day" based on the type of thing that appears on the "... Certified Engineer" exams. (Are they multiple choice? I've never seen one.) Show (perhaps only if the user wishes it) a persons number attempted vs number correct. That's no substitute feeback but it would be an interesting motivator.

Ug
6th September 2004, 11:23 PM
earobinson you miss the point of the ratings system. As your own reputation increases so does your ability to spend more reputation points. Foolish has got a big enough reputation now to be able to award 2 points.

earobinson111
7th September 2004, 06:50 PM
Ug, all i am sugesting is that the users have the abillity to chose how much good or bad rateings they give since some things are more deserving then others, (I have been given bad rateing for bad Grammer and englsih is my second language and so i try my best) now i understand that i should get some bad rateing for that but not -10 mabe just -3 or something. I think users should have a choice oh how much they affect a repuatation.

But my original question was if you look at the screenshot i posted how do i tell what the rateings are and if they are good or bad and how much they affect me?

Ug
7th September 2004, 11:26 PM
Anything green is positive, and you've been awarded reputation. Anything grey is positive - but the user is unable to give you reputation. Anything red is negative.

The system is not going to be changed from its current status, as the forum grows more reputation is spread around and so the system will stabilise.

earobinson111
8th September 2004, 07:54 PM
I did not even meen to sugest to change the system in my first post, yet i do see some flaws it it, and i do see the trouble in changeing it. (what about a bad rep from a user that cant give it?)

Dog-One
4th October 2004, 03:06 AM
This is something new to me. I quite like the idea in principal. Like Ug mentioned, it should stabilize and become quite useful. I wonder how closely it will emulate a CF (Confidence Factor) like used in Expert Systems. That would be pretty cool to get a reply from someone with a CF of 99% and know that you have an answer you can take to the bank. Getting good feedback is tough. A lot of people get the answer they're looking for and split or they give up and split--leaving us that tried to help with zip. Do you think it would be possible for the system to have a problem tracker that in some way forces those that ask questions to at least say whether they ever solved the problem or not? Or would that be outside the scope of this forum?

crackers
4th October 2004, 03:25 AM
Or would that be outside the scope of this forum?
I dunno - got a spare AI-enabled cluster in your back pocket?

Seriously though, having done a little work in NPL (Natural Parsing of Languages), even a "simple" one that would work consistenly is a lot of hard work - and it'll still be 'way off. The current system plays off of the nature of statistics - after a large enough sample, the "confidence factor" becomes more apparent and accurate, despite the cut-and-run types.

Besides, I like the "pat on the back" (or slap with a cod, so to speak) feeling.

For some unknown reason, I flashed back to Sally Fields' Oscar acceptance speech there. Shows you how warped I really am, I guess... :D

superbnerd
4th October 2004, 03:51 AM
You don't have to use an automated AI system to determin wheter a thread has been solved. You could build a feature that asks the thread starter whether the problem has been solved every time he post a reply to the thread. Of course some would ignore it so you would have to give the admods the ability to decide if a problem has been solved.

Ug
4th October 2004, 08:30 AM
Before you joined the forum superbnerd that exact system existed and it was a catastrophic failure. It was so hard to keep up with and it just spiralled out of control.

Dog-One
4th October 2004, 08:01 PM
Exactly crackers! hehehe!

I wouldn't want a help desk system in place--heck no, I've seen enough of those. What's here is quite usable as is. Sure, it's not perfect, what is these days. Just the thought crossed my mind of some way to know if a problem has been solved or not. I really don't like reopening a topic after it has sit for weeks and weeks with no response when I know there are folks on this forum that could and would help if they could easily see someone in need of a pointer or two.

As for the AI stuff. It would be cool, but it wouldn't come easy. Maybe an application that I could play with on my own time.

crackers
5th October 2004, 04:56 AM
Dog, for AI you'd probably need to learn to speak with a Lisp... :D

Dog-One
5th October 2004, 10:46 PM
Dog, for AI you'd probably need to learn to speak with a Lisp... :D

Hehehe, ROFL!

Playa Son Moll Photos on Instagram - Must see Iran Travel Photos - Otovalo, Ecuador Photos on Instagram