PDA

View Full Version : Special permissions for running Windows programs off a Samba share?

Doward
24th February 2009, 03:27 PM
So I'm trying really hard to learn Linux and Samba better.

I've got my Samba shares up and running. I can stream files from the server, I can create files on the server, and I can copy files from the server.

Running a Windows program (from a Windows box) directly from the Samba server, however, is turning into a nightmare. I'm getting Access is Denied errors from the Windows box, yet I can copy/create/etc from the entire directory with no problems.

Are there any special permissions I need to run EXE files from a Windows box, located on a Samba share? I've already chmod'd everything to 777, and I show full access when ls -Z is used.

Please help :(

Doward
24th February 2009, 09:36 PM
So another day's worth of work reveals the following:

Doward, a user of the Doward group (to which the files belong) can execute no problem.

vcs, a member of the samba group can not.

All files are chmod -r 777

Ideas?

marcrblevins
24th February 2009, 11:01 PM
You copied a Windows program onto your Samba server and expect it to run from any Windows platform over the lan? That is interesting. I never tried that. Expected all Windows program installed on each Windows platform and only expect Samba server holds the data files itself.

Jyvaeskylae - Lublin Instagram Photos - Krasnodon Photos on Instagram