PDA

View Full Version : What made you drop Windows?

Pages : [1] 2

kwdy
31st August 2004, 08:47 PM
Hello, I've been using linux off and on for a little over a year now. The only reason I haven't gone full on into Linux is I still play Everquest and City of Heroes. Also I guess I'm just too use to the Windows period. Unfortunatly all the security holes and needing to run an AV program just kind of irks me. I don't want to give up my games and I am dual booting with debian. I don't really care for debian though, and have been trying to find a Fedora core 1 or 2 DVD ISO. Where would Ibe able to find one thats more then 72.8 mbs in size? (thats what the size when I try to download from fedora.com)

foolish
31st August 2004, 08:51 PM
For the dvd-isos, use torrent: http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/

kwdy
31st August 2004, 09:41 PM
ok thanks for the info

Tsunami
31st August 2004, 10:08 PM
I dropped Windows because it kept crashing. All the time. There wasn't even viruses or anything, it was simply this weird memory issue, fixed it later. Anyways, I have gone back to Windows now because my stupid old internal ADSL modem doesn't get recognized for it, and the manufacturer of the modem doesn't support Linux. So know I have to go out and get a job so I can buy some stupid ol' external modem and whatnot. I still use Linux though, but pretty much just for some development and sensative files.

When I get my new computer it will be a multiboot Fedora Core 3 (which will be out buy the time I have enough scratch for a new computer) and Win2k (or possibly XP Pro, need a good crack though). Window's will only be around for gaming though because Cedaga is too finiky...

imdeemvp
31st August 2004, 10:24 PM
i just hated the so call BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Ug
31st August 2004, 11:10 PM
Moved to Linux Chat.

Optimistic
31st August 2004, 11:26 PM
Even though I had Firewalls and Virus protection enabled on Windows I used to get little pieces of malicious code on my system fairly regularly. Eventually I just got tired of scanning my computer and tracking down ways to remove them, so I moved over to Linux full time. I don't play many games so I don't even keep windows around for that. Well, actually I play games quite often but I'm more of a Cube and GBA guy. Last spring I got a really nasty piece of code that nearly cost me all of my data--luckily I was able to copy all of my files over to a second hard drive through a recovery counsel. But after that fiasco Windows got the boot permantly.

kosmosik
1st September 2004, 12:35 AM
windows were boring...

Ned
1st September 2004, 01:17 AM
I don't mind paying for software, I just don't like paying for software that's full of security flaws, crashes all the time and the vendor is totally uninterested in me as a customer because I don't purchase half a million copies.

Put simply, linux does everything I want better than Windows.

Ned

superbnerd
1st September 2004, 02:01 AM
I left windows because...
Thats interesting. Might I them assume the majority of linux users are ex-windows users or ex-<os> users? Are any linux users native? I guess that would explain why desktop linux is always emulating its competitiors.

Anyway, I left windows becuase: the malware was driving me crazy, and I got tied of reinstalling the os, having to run antivirus software that slows the system (noticeably), did not want to continue to pay hundreds of dollars to do what I do for free, I wanted to actually learn something about computing, FOSS helps everyone!

carlwill
1st September 2004, 02:22 AM
I am in the same boat - My gorlfriend says she will leave me if I dont stop playing Counter Strike. I can't!!! :D

If it were not for games - Id lost microsoft

imdeemvp
1st September 2004, 02:30 AM
i play halo and ut2003 just imagine that.......:D

Ned
1st September 2004, 02:34 AM
...oh, and you can't compile your own kernel in Windows :D

crackers
1st September 2004, 04:08 AM
I guess you could call me a "native" user - I started using Linux because my first real "interactive" experience with an OS was with Unix (variant of System 3). My reaction when I found out about Linux: "Oh, my Ghod! Unix for a PC! Gotta gotta gotta gotta..."

But you'll actually find that almost everyone has used Windows at one time or another. While some may not actually appreciate it, it (and MS-DOS and IBM's open architecture of the original PC) is one of the things that's made PCs ubiquitous and affordable, by sheer numbers.

sayonara
1st September 2004, 08:56 AM
I use linux because I'm just sick of reformatting my windows partition (about every 6 months at this stage). It's a challenge to learn and I live how a lot of things are done in linux - I think it's a very well designed working environment. Other than the instability, security problems and the "Microsoft Tax" I have very few bones with windows and I think that I will always dual boot some version of it just for a bit of insurance. I know, the thought of using windows as a backup for anything may make a lot of people cringe but the thing is that any piece of hardware you buy will either be autodetected ar will come with windows drivers and/or software. At the moment my Sony NetMD isn't supported at all by linux and neither is my wireless card or swapable dvd drive (I bought them before giving linux a serious attempt). Linux compatibility is something I will always check for from now on. I'm in the market for a new laptop and one of my main concerns is linux compatibility. So, I wouldn't say that I have switched from Windows, I just think that Linux is my prefered choice.

imdeemvp
1st September 2004, 09:06 AM
...oh, and you can't compile your own kernel in Windows :D

exactly, remember those wins 98 days? the pc would freeze giving you a kernel error message :mad: here goes ctrl+alt+del if you could.

RedFedora
2nd September 2004, 01:40 AM
Let's see. I may be a little different. After all, I ran Windows 98 for years. No secuirty problems, no hacks, no viruses to speak of and it was stable. I suppose, the cross over was caused by the
following:
1. I like the Open Source concept.
2. Nearly everything I wanted comes pre-installed on RedHat/Fedora.
3. I like to tinker.
4. Better support.
5. Better seperation between users....root is very different than a regular user.

Varkk
2nd September 2004, 02:22 AM
Linux does what I need, Windows doesn't

imdeemvp
2nd September 2004, 02:23 AM
Linux does what I need, Windows doesn't

EXACTLY !!!! :D

mark
2nd September 2004, 02:45 AM
Actually, I haven't dropped Windows - I dual-boot between FC2 and Windows 2000 (but if I let grub time-out, it boots FC2). However:

a) Philosophical differences with Microsoft. Instead of hiding stuff in cryptic registry entries, most of Linux is configured using plain-text files - and if I really want to dig, I can always read the source. Also, I strongly disagree with MS's newer take on product registration or "activation". I bought a laptop with Windows XP installed, I expected to be able to take it to whatever machine I might move to...but, no.

b) Windows XP. Something(s) about XP just set my teeth on edge. From the changes to the GUI to changes to the Help (ha!) subsystem, I just never liked it.

c) As RedFedora mentioned in a previous post, I like to tinker, to "play", to try stuff - Linux seems a much better environment for this sort of thing (admittedly, a lot of it out of "self-defense"...)

d) Security. With a broadband Internet connection, on XP I was appalled at the number of "hits" I was taking from nameless, faceless strangers, all probing for vulnerabilities, open ports, etc. Put it like this - when I have Win2K loaded, I don't leave my PC unattended. When Linux is running, I can actually go to the WC without fear.

e) Hmm - call it the "X" factor. I don't know if it's my personality or what, but I just haven't cared for the feel of the general direction of mainstream (i.e. Windows) computing of late. It's been getting a little too "cute", too "trendy" to suit me (2 adjectives that will normally send me running the opposite direction).

Bottom line - I simply feel more comfortable with Linux.

code_monkey
2nd September 2004, 07:33 AM
A boss of mine once introduced me to Corel Linux running KDE 1, it didn't exactly do everything we needed so we picked up a copy of Mandrake 6.2 and I got hooked. I couldn't beleive that there was an operating system which was not only open but which could more than adequatly compete with Windows. I had to keep on using Windows at work which I began to find frustrating due to constant crashes with lost work, virus alerts and the endless stream of security alerts and patches.

My home machine at the time had a cheap internal winmodem so I went out and picked up an external and as soon as I was on the net Linux became my OS of choice. I've used Mandrake mostly, Debian, Lycoris and have now moved onto Fedora, besides my video capture problems and the K3B issues under the 2.6.8 kernel I am loving it.

So here's to Linux, may it continue to grace our PC's for many years to come.

ChrisMUC
2nd September 2004, 03:51 PM
I never really used Windows (except two times at work. The first time, NT 4.0, ran instable as hell; the second time,Windows 2000, was equipped with all Cygnus tools, X Server etc and almost felt like Linux).

Until 1994, I used MS-DOS exclusively. Nevertheless tried Windows 3.x a few days, but immideatly put it away, then I switched to Linux and never regretted it.

Each time, I'm using a Windows machine now (my Laptop is equipped with Windows, but that's another story), I miss all the slick things of a Linux system. Even XP is waaaaaaay behind a modern Linux system.

luibh
2nd September 2004, 04:03 PM
dropped windows from my laptop because i wanted something new. felt it was time to learn linux.

have not fully convinced my wife that fedora on our desktop will do everything she needs (she still has xp on her laptop...one of these days the desktop comp will be fedora...probably about the time core 4 rolls out).

cannot switch my work comp over to fedora. im an ecologist so i use stat software nearly everyday. my university has site licenses for SAS for windows and not linux free for student use (generally an educational license costs $1000+++). the linux version of SAS is for faculty and staff. one day...ill be faculty. if i could find an open source SAS equivalent or could get the SAS linux license from my university...it would be hard for me not to switch at work.

JonR
2nd September 2004, 04:06 PM
Two reasons really:

1. It's free. I have 6 systems to support. That's between $600-$1000 if I have to buy XP for them,
2. Viruses bounce off...

seabass55
2nd September 2004, 05:31 PM
Because after using linux for many years I was convinced that linux was ready for a day to day desktop and since then I have't had to turn back.

Ned
2nd September 2004, 05:40 PM
Two reasons really:

1. It's free. I have 6 systems to support. That's between $600-$1000 if I have to buy XP for them,
2. Viruses bounce off...

Yes, price can be a big factor for home use when you have many self-built systems :)

6 full licences of WindowsXP and Ofice XP is going to set you back quite a bit ;)

Ned

GreyGeek
2nd September 2004, 07:19 PM
I had to reinstall it FIVE TIMES in four months, and all the apps I was using too.

On my previous box I had been runing OS/2 with Win3.1FWG, but constant tweeking by MS prevented Win3.1 from running reliably in OS/2, so I decided to move to Win95 on a new box. I purchased a brand now Sony VAIO on Dec 29th, 1996. Over the next four months I had several crashes each day, often just after rebooting, and Sony's MediKit didn't help. Several parts were replaced under warranty but that didn't help. CircutCity help ran out of options. ChkDsk and defrag didn't help, but was required after each crash because files were often corrupted. Many times I had to reinstall my useful applications (VB 3.0, MathCad, Turbo Pascal for Windows, StreetAtlas 5.0, and a dozen others, plus my games) even when I didn't have to reinstall WIN95 because chkdsk necessarily deleted corrupted files.

In frustration I decided to return to OS/2, or Warp, or what ever it was called at the time. I was at B&N looking for the latest info on OS/2 and noticed a book from Sam's Publishing called "Learn Linux in 24 hours" by Bill Brush. It had a RH 5.0 CD in the back. "Wow!, a free OS", I thought, "what can I lose?".

I installed it dual boot and began going through the book. About 30 hours later I had a fairly good understanding of Linux. I also noticed something else: while running RH 5.0 my Sony NEVER CRASHED!!! That told me it was the OS, not the hardware, that was the cause of my Win95 problems. In the fall of 1997 I switched to SUSE 5.3 and over the next 2-3 years stayed with SUSE. Sometime during December of 1999 I happened to realize that I couldn't remember the last time I had booted into the Win95 partition, so I decided that it didn't contain anything I needed. On January 1st, 2000 I installed the latest SUSE and gave it the entire drive. My personal box has been only Linux since then.

I wasn't over the BSOD, though. Where I work "WAS" a Windows Shop and I frequently encountered BSOD's, crashes and corruption, but the IT staff was responsible for doing two of the three R's: Reboot, Restore, Re-install. I was 'upgraded' to NT4 but didn't notice that much of an improvement in stability. When I was 'upgraded' to a new box with a factory installed W2K OS I had 10 crashes within the first two weeks. I've been through three new PC upgrades since my first workstation had Win95 installed. I am currently running W2K on my relatively new DELL GX260, behind a firewall protected by Linux, and up until the recent spat of 'service packs' for security and stability my W2K OS was running reasonably well. (If Win95 had been as stable as my current version of W2K I would probably never have discovered Linux.) Since the security upgrades several features of my VFP dev tool are no longer working (foxpro.h, WAIT WINDOWS CLEAR, etc...), but I dual boot with FC2 and which runs well on my Dell.

My prefered dev tools: Python + Boa_Constructor, work equally well on W2K or Linux! So does pgAdmin and PostgreSQL - (8beta for W2K) and our shop is moving toward platform neutrality. We have too many VFP legacy apps to jump to Linux enmass, but no new apps are being developed except with cross platform tools. That means Java, Python, Oracle and PostgreSQL. Programming these days is a blast!!! :)

Varkk
3rd September 2004, 02:11 AM
cannot switch my work comp over to fedora. im an ecologist so i use stat software nearly everyday. my university has site licenses for SAS for windows and not linux free for student use (generally an educational license costs $1000+++). the linux version of SAS is for faculty and staff. one day...ill be faculty. if i could find an open source SAS equivalent or could get the SAS linux license from my university...it would be hard for me not to switch at work.

I am almost opposite at my uni. As a postgrad student all the software I need was initially made for unix enviroments and has been ported over to linux. So I use linux at uni, and at home because I just find the windows interface cumbersom/primitive. I really don't see myself going back to use windows anytime soon.

Jman
3rd September 2004, 03:18 PM
I haven't dropped Windows completely, but it's been a long time since I booted Windows. And of course everybody else's computer is Windows so I still have to know how to use it.

I like to customize and tinker with all computers. I like to organize my Start Menu, choose the startup programs (die HP toolbar!), apply the odd registry hack, etc. Of course I had to install firewall, AV software, configure the crap out of it to get the interface the way I want, the list goes on. In the end I was moving around stuff in the Documents and Settings folder (nice concept but yuck!) and I didn't know what I was doing. It was work get under the hood and mess with things, because it seemed like I was not supposed to.

Now with Fedora I still do most of this customizing, but it's a lot more transparent. If I want to know what a service does I read up on it and remove it if I don't need it. No more junk included from the manufacturer. Granted, it is still a lot of work, but it seemed like I was supposed to, like this software was made to be hacked.

In short I got frustrated tinkering with Windows so now I have fun tinkering with Linux.

kosmosik
3rd September 2004, 03:24 PM
Also I guess I'm just too use to the Windows period. Unfortunatly all the security holes and needing to run an AV program just kind of irks me. I don't want to give up my games and I am dual booting with debian. I don't really care for debian though, and have been trying to find a Fedora core 1 or 2 DVD ISO. Where would Ibe able to find one thats more then 72.8 mbs in size? (thats what the size when I try to download from fedora.com)
well you can still dualboot and keep a small partition (and probably other for data shared with Linux - FAT) with Windows 98 SE (stable (mostly)) and use them as bootloader for games ;) no need to connect Windows system (unless you're doing some online gaming) to the net. even if you connect it and set up firewall, AV and use Firefox instead of MSIE and block every posibble scriptung in MSIE and put entire thing behind hardware NAT/FW appliance and don't let anybody besides it touch you (grub password) - especially clueles users clicking on cool screen saver and make backup of entire Windows FS (shouldn't be huge) than you can play your games quite safely :>

Psquared
3rd September 2004, 04:09 PM
Let's see. I may be a little different. After all, I ran Windows 98 for years. No secuirty problems, no hacks, no viruses to speak of and it was stable. I suppose, the cross over was caused by the
following:
3. I like to tinker.
4. Better support.
5. Better seperation between users....root is very different than a regular user.

I used every version of DOS starting with 3.3. I used every version of Windows from 3.0 to 3.1 to Windows for Workgroups (Ver. 3.11) to 95, 98, 98 2nd, ME and now XP. I installed every patch and update that came out.

When XP Service Pack #2 came out and I read the reviews that said it caused more problems than it solved I said to myself:

"this is freaking enough!!!"

I have so far refused to download a 6 hour Service Pack (and that is on a broadband connection) and I won't pay MS to send me a CD.

I did it for the above reason plus all of #s 1-5 above. I also think "open source" has matured and entered the mainstream now.

I also decided I needed the challenge. I think Microsoft does too.

My concern is that most people want something that works out of the box. They don't want to tinker. That is what has made Microsoft - no tinkering required. My 80 year old parents can figure it out. That may keep open source from becoming mainstream . . .

unless, the open-source community can grow to the point that we can provide the support for the average home user.

That may be the future.

kosmosik
3rd September 2004, 04:46 PM
When XP Service Pack #2 came out and I read the reviews that said it caused more problems than it solved I said to myself:

well SP2 is IMHO funny :) they really haven't added anything useful to it :)

1] popup blocker - but hey I've got popup blocker in MSIE for like one yer thanks to - http://toolbar.google.com/ - and it comes with google search feture which is uber-cool. I install it on every XP client I touch :) so OK - popup blocker. how innovative...

2] hardened MSIE - well it is a myth. it is still the same MSIE, nothng changed beneath. still to deeply integrated in system, still with unsecure features like ActiveX - it is just they are turned off by defaut so first thing you will do is reebable thise features since without them nothing works. nice patch... really.

3] NX technology - well it is something but right now it makes no difference as it requires modern hardware and only few chips support that. and I'am (and I'am not alone here) probably not going to change (meaning networks I administer) hardware till it dies... so few more years to go without NX... and also to mention Linux has similar options (executable stack protection) for ages - aviable as patches f.e. PaX. (for kernel) and also few options (like pro-police-gcc) to glibc... and if you need you can recompile everything against those features as it is Open Source... again MS - innovative... really :)

4] new firewall - well good to see it but it has it's flaws. like it runs in user space, it is worse than other offerings. but still - this is feature I find nice.

what other things left? lets see...

5] new Windows Update - new but it sucks ass like ever. why can't make a decent patching service. it only requires a server and decent GUI for client. I mean jesus I can make such thing myself, just give me specs and some time and I could make it. options I would include:
* decent GUI for configuration with Active Direvtory support tu push configuration to domain
* setup proxy server for updates (f.e. local proxy server to limit bandwith use)
* free local proxy server software for updates. it even could be only on Windows. to have one machine cacheing updates in LAN - jesus it's being done in Linux so easly, I can set up my own updates proxy with Linux in like 3 minutes...
* option to choose which connection can be used for automatic downloads (f.e. I wouldn't like my system to pull updates when I am connected via GPRS mobile modem, but I wouldn't mind when it does when I am on corporate LAN)
* some better handling of applying those patches. maybe just downloading them and waiting (I mean waiting not bothering me to reboot manually) for next boot to apply patches while booting (no files locked)...

what else left "new"... oh the funniest thing! new Security Center applet in Control Panel - a place where you can se that you are "secured" (not to mention that you still can be 0wned) - weeeeeeelll :) in one thing Micro$oft is brilliant - marketing: people wan't secure Windows, tell them they are secure, show them nice icons telling them that they are secure - people can actually belive it :) that is in some way brilliant isn't it? too bad it does not work better security for me (and you)...

and also this hype with Longhorn delays due to shifting literally everybody to develop SP2 - what they actually developed? few icons? changed default settings? this requires whole resources of multibilion software gigant? that is pathetic for me... Fedora community alone (backed by Red Hat but still it is different scale than M$) can do amazing things like incorporating advanced MAC security with SELinux in months, and software giant can't make a basic security level with all theirs resources (oh and they do leave things unpatched, or issue things like disable login from URL as a patch, oh and update breaks like every 1 of 10 setups)? and still they say open source model is not superior? mehehehahhwhw... :P~ - this means only good things for Linux, bad things for Micro$oft and sadly bad things for me (us) as we live in a M$ world - consider getting even more probes on FW and even more spam with anything (adds, viruses, stupid server responses) in short time as SP2 does nothing to Windows security.

PS. I know I probably miss some features of SP2 but their weren't marketed as such a buzzwords so probably their even more irrevelant...

Psquared
3rd September 2004, 06:08 PM
Say - Kos, why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel.

Seriously, to me the strongest point you made was how long it took a multi-billion dollar software giant to come out with this update. Poor utilization of resources - either that or they are hoping for a shorter update cycle for Longhorn by calling this an "update" and not making us pay for it.

DarkMasterMatt
6th September 2004, 03:52 AM
following:
3. I like to tinker.
4. Better support.

I switched for the same reasons(though I have had many virus and malware problems). I'm still having trouble with getting my wireless network working but once thats fixed then i'm all set. i regret nothing.

i1n2d3y4
6th September 2004, 04:49 AM
reason I switched was freedom...........I really love the freedom to choose how I run my systems, what I put in there and above all the ability to see how things are working (look at the code) and possibily changin them when I need.

I know there is a lot of choice of applications on the windows platform, but a lot of things about the operating system are closed and a lot of times windows just does things that are inexplicable. LInux that way is very predictable..

muckraker
8th September 2004, 06:02 PM
I was using Win98SE, and I'm enough of a tweaking fool so's it was running at the highest level it was capable of. Still, lots of crashes, blue screens, viruses, holes, all that garbage. Finally it crashed for one last time, with crucial system files being corrupted.

Time to reconfigure.

Dropped in a second, 8G HD to go with my 40G. The 8G is in the lede (/dev/hda) position, with a reinstalled Win98SE on it. FC1 is on the 40G, with plenty of room to repartition and perhaps drop in an experimental distro. Only times I ever boot up Windows are for experimental purposes; can't remember when I last fired it up to get any actual work done. FC1 is my workhorse.

Every so often I think of getting rid of the Windows system, but there are times I might actually use it (I never throw anything away). I guess it's useful to experiment on.

Thing that's so cool about Linux is that if I don't like what comes with it (such as a GUI) I can always change it. Definitely prefer Fluxbox to the Gnome/KDE crowd, for example. Just TRY doing that with Windows!

Guess I've probably joined the hardcore ranks. I carry with me a couple of live distros (DamnSmall and Puppy) so's I'd have a REAL operating system available when I'm using a borrowed 'puter.

questron
19th September 2004, 11:34 PM
Since i'm able to read i've used dos, win 3.1, win 3.11, win 95, win 98... somewhen i found a redhat redhat 6.0 in my fathers office, i was just curious and installed it. everything worked fine, but as a child of the windows-generation i didn't know what to do with it without all my games and my ms office. After that i used win2000 all the time until spring 2002, i was curious again and bought suse 8.0 and realized that linux really got better than it was in 1998. i jumped from distribution to distribution, as you all surely know, all them have their advantages and disadvantages. until this years april i always had a linux-partition, but i mostly used windows. suse 9.1 was the first distribution which really fullfilled my needs, but many things, especially concerning configuration issues annoyed me, so i tried fc2 in june and that's where i'm standing now, and everything works great. i now installed fc2 on mine and on my girlfriends computers and we are both satisfied.
Hmmm, much babbling but i haven't answered the question, i finally switched to linux because i like the open-source idea, linux is more customizable and faster than windows. i don't have to cope with all the security problems, and as a student in software-engineering, i can learn much by reading the sources. I'll finally delete windows as soon as i have a user-friendly, stable and complete solution for video-editing and an emulator who runs simcity 4, simgolf and rollercoaster tycoon 2 properly.

Lovechild
20th September 2004, 03:11 AM
Linux was a better OS and I had grown tired of Windows 98 - so I switched to Linux, haven't looked back since.

Finalzone
20th September 2004, 04:38 AM
I am still using Windows. However, it is strictly reserved for MMORPG. Macintosh was the first OS I used until I used Windows 95. During computer class, my former teacher introduced to Linux terminal then gave me OpenLinux with I didn't use until I got a decent PC with enough space storage.
When a local computer sotre allowed me to use their PC for maintenance and website (I am currently working on it), I was introduced to Red Hat 8.0. I got Red Hat 9 via Internet when I found out that Linux distro is superior to Windows XP in term of package and installations. For example, Open Office is included with Red Hat 9 while MS Word is not on Windows XP. I also figured out that software quality is not always expensive.
Since then, I stick to Red Hat (now Fedora Core) though I got Mandrake 9.1 with Linux Magazine. What I learned from Linux distros are:
-customizing the kernel
-customizing the desktop from different OS (WinXP, Mac OS, BSD)
-complete packages included in a distro
-stability

DevHead
20th September 2004, 11:46 PM
I haven't dropped Windows. I'm using it in conjuction with FC2. I'll have a better answer in a couple of years (if not sooner).

imdeemvp
21st September 2004, 04:46 AM
just today they annouced on the news.....that virus infection in xp has increased 400% this year alone....WOOOW

one more major reason to leave the blue screen of death :D

sayeeth
21st September 2004, 12:14 PM
just today they annouced on the news.....that virus infection in xp has increased 400% this year alone....WOOOW

one more major reason to leave the blue screen of death :D

Thats a major improvement from last year's 300%! Go Windoze! Haha :D

jcstille
21st September 2004, 03:31 PM
For me I dropped it because when I came to school I plugged into the network and no more than 5 seconds later I had a virus on my machine that would shut it down immediately. What a mess. So I just dropped it.

Daizy
16th November 2004, 08:57 PM
Windows couldn't do anything I needed it to do (everything I can do, but for free)

And XP also can't reliably firewall your PC while you are looking for a firewall and antivirus on the internet to make it secure!

My Brother's XP PC was riddled with 50+ copies of virii and spyware/malware within 4 minutes of us being connected! We couldn't fix the problems, so we had to sit through another 2 hour install!!!!

It was 4am by the time we got it sorted!

I will never switch back, ever, even if they crush Open source with their Legal strengths (somehow), I will give up the things I love rather than use their crap.

Shadow Skill
17th November 2004, 07:45 AM
I find it hard to believe that he had 50 copies of virii, I see spyware being more likely but I will say that if you are somewhat vigilant you can keep a decent xp machine up and running and relatively virus free.

brock
10th March 2005, 03:23 AM
I'm been using XP for about a year, and have only had one minor encounter with a virus. I never really considered myself to ever be on the Windows boat, I just used it. Before I had used mostly a C64 and some Macs. When I heard of Linux I was fascinated. At first, the idea of free software caught my interest (being a student). Additionally, I noticed that I actually like a lot of open source software better than commercial equivalents.

And then the straw that broke the camels back!

I bought MS Office a year ago and installed on my desktop and my laptop. After my laptop crashed, I lost a copy of MS Office with it! My wife needed Office on a laptop, so I tried to install it on her older one. The installation, after going to through an extremely annoying online registration process, complained that I had alread installed it on two computers! I also found out that there is limited number of installations, no matter what computer you install it on. I also found out that MS was planning on doing something similar with their OS (which I think is already in effect). When I "upgraded" to SP2, my OS was more irritating (and slower) than ever!

I don't use Linux just because I dislike Windows, however. Linux is just so much more fun and customizable. I am not a Linux wiz, but I there is incentive to learn more. The Fedora/KDE combo for me is a good balance between holding my hand and not holding my hand. I get an OS that is easy to use and acts like my friend rather than some faceless customer.

greatscot
10th March 2005, 05:11 AM
What made me drop Windows?
Linux is free to download; free to install on as many machines as I want without having to "register" or "activate" the OS; free to copy and distribute. I have been using Linux for over two years and have not spent a penny as far as "cost of ownership" - my only costs have been CD-R's for backup purposes. I can find apps to do everything I did on Windows, and those apps are also free of charge and they come with source code. I can freely change anything about the Linux distro that I want to change. I have found Linux to be more secure and stable than Windows. I can run Linux on just about any hardware - be it old or new. Running Linux has taught me more about software, hardware and networking than I could ever hope to learn on Windows, and this education cost me nothing except my time.

What made me switch to Linux from Windows? Linux helped me to grow.

ltam
10th March 2005, 08:16 AM
I'm an IT Enterprise Architect. I rely on distros like CentOS, with their complete set of servers and utilities to stay current with technology. Who can beat the price? Not to mention the stability.

:) :)

desipher
10th March 2005, 02:00 PM
Its called cedega. I can play my games on linux box now. I complete off windows other then my works laptop. Still have problems detected my drive for dvd shrink but I will get around to that nice tutorial on wine site soon :).

fc_jeff
10th March 2005, 08:51 PM
Here is representative sampling why I left Windows for Linux:

1. XP's activation. Too draconian for me. If pay $200-300 for a piece of software, I should be able to install it on multiple machines in my household, if I have them. I should also be able to upgrade hardware with not having to worry about activation.

2. Malware

3. Lack of stability

4. Windows registry

5. Horrible design

6. Features/configurability too limited

7. MS business practices

8. MS's full on hostility towards it's paying customers

9. VB6, a fine development tool for non-hardcore-programmers, end-of-lifed for VB.Net, a C#/Java clone, screwing millions of developers and businesses in the process

10. Performance degrades over time.

11. Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are lying sacks of *****

12. MS a convicted monopolist

13. Other products, including Linux, vastly superior

14. Competing products very user-satisfaction driven, MS Windows is lock-in driven

jim
10th March 2005, 09:00 PM
Here is representative sampling why I left Windows for Linux:

1. XP's activation. Too draconian for me. If pay $200-300 for a piece of software, I should be able to install it on multiple machines in my household, if I have them. I should also be able to upgrade hardware with not having to worry about activation.

2. Malware

3. Lack of stability

4. Windows registry

5. Horrible design

6. Features/configurability too limited

7. MS business practices

8. MS's full on hostility towards it's paying customers

9. VB6, a fine development tool for non-hardcore-programmers, end-of-lifed for VB.Net, a C#/Java clone, screwing millions of developers and businesses in the process

10. Performance degrades over time.

11. Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are lying sacks of *****

12. MS a convicted monopolist

13. Other products, including Linux, vastly superior

14. Competing products very user-satisfaction driven, MS Windows is lock-in driven

I second the above motion :cool:

electric_head
20th March 2005, 04:27 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here ..
I started to use Windows since 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, 2000, XP .. i just tried all Microsoft Versions of Windows, seems 99% of the members here agree about the "BLUE SCREEN" and i agree with them too.
First i installed RedHat7.3 .. i really liked the Interface .. but i had problem with finding applications that fits my need.

As a web-designer i always get back to windows to work on Frontpage, Adobe & Macromedia Flash .. my second problem with linux is the time to learn .. when i use linux .. its like the first time i ever touched a PC, so i need time to learn and figure how it works ..

I tried FC2 b4 .. but i removed it few months ago .. now am using FC3 dualboot with windows, i had some problems .. or lets say i just dont know how to configure it right .. but thanx to this forum and the HELP you provide here .. i really liked the guides u have here .. and its really helped me .. yet i have some problems with FC3 .. i'll try to post them later hope to get the answers or the solutions for it.

(Am currently typing this post using Mozilla under Windows) coz my FC3 have problem on starting and its freezing, but i want to solve this problem and i decide not to remove Linux from my pc anymore .. hope i can drop windows soon and move to Linux forever.

blammo
20th March 2005, 05:00 PM
I haven't dropped Windows at all. In fact I rarely boot into the Linux desktop and if I do it's through remote X. I use Linux for its capabilities as a network server and for development. The Apache/MySQL/PHP triad, NFS, Sendmail + Cyrus, network management and monitoring, etc. It's also a great development environment with interpreters for many different programming languages. I know Gnome and KDE have come a long way, but I still prefer the Windows GUI. But that's just me.

oUch
20th March 2005, 05:01 PM
Most of all, I finally feel like I have power over how I want my experience to be, and how much or little I want to be involved. :)

electric_head
20th March 2005, 07:52 PM
after all ... everyone use something he like :)
i know many people who still using dualboot Linux - Windows for years.
since i started to use XP i didn't saw any BLUE-SCREEN like what happened with win98 & winME :)
some people still using BeOS if anyone here can remember it :)
so its just matter of choice and taste

bobbarnes1981
22nd March 2005, 05:35 PM
i dropped windows because my pc caught multiple viruses within a week causing 3 or 4 re-installations, and as many have said before; with linux i can decide exactly how i want things to be. Linux is mostly free. From what i've seen Linux is very much a community of people, definitely not the feeling i got with windows.

CrystalCowboy
22nd March 2005, 09:06 PM
I never dropped Windows, I never picked it up in the first place. I came into the Linux world from the direction of Unix, and before that VMS and earlier stuff (RT-11, CP/M). One reason I never learned Windows is that I spend a lot of time answering questions and fixing things on Linux/Unix systems and I don't want to be asked to do the same for Windows.

Bigfatso
31st March 2005, 04:44 PM
I started in the days of Microsoft DOS 5.0. This was the time where you HAD to know SOMTHING about what you were doing. Wanna play a game? cool, you best know whats going on WHEN it didn't work. I had to learn everything to maintain my PC. I even built my first PC from scratch using any old piece of 80286 grade stuff I could beg to get my hands on. When it didn't work I fixed it.

Then MS made Windows 95. I still knew how to do everything in DOS. I WANTED to do everything in dos. but too often, manageing your file system in DOS would cause you to break windows. At this point I had a choice to buy only software that worked on DOS. So I did.

Then Windows 98 came out and let me tell you I HAD to upgrade to a bigger Hard Drive. (at this point nearly all software was for windows only.) Well since being hooked on computing and all the cool stuff you could do I bit the bullet and bought into Microsoft. I felt funneled into the decision.

Around 1998 I decided to get married (good choice), I let my wife use my computer(Win98) and we got into many battles over display settings, arrangement of Icons etc.... Win98 I feel did a poor job of multi-user support. Anyhoo, I had to buy her her own computer (off the shelf, she didn't trust me to build one....grrrr). that hurt the wallet.

fall 1999--- Decided to get a degree in information technology, no prob got a computer will learn. Too bad once I enrolled in spring they are using Win2000 pro. Crud I'm married 2 kids and no money, how to I buy Win2000 grrr..... In order to play with Win2000 pro to increase my knowledge I make the unsavory choice to be a pirate. I don't like this but the computer labs are 30 minutes away, 30 minutes to setup a student drive etc.... all this is assuming there is an open lab when I have free time.....

fall 2000--- great, were learning Win2000 advanced server.... I fenagle a deal with a computer consultant to allow me to borrow liscences for MS products cause theres no way I'm gonna afford 2000 server and whatever other pieces of MS stuff they decide to teach. Technically I'm not a pirate any more but I'm not feeling good.

spring 2004 --- I'm a graduate. I feel grateful for someone to lend me liscences for MS stuff. they were the reason I was able to graduate.

present--- I decided that even though I despise Microsoft for the way they market, the unreliable products etc... there is no moral reason for me to continue using the borrowed liscences. So far I am supporting Cedega with a monthly fee. Perhaps I will find more projects worth supporting. I will more than likely spend the same on support for linux, comared to getting my home computers updated with WinXP Legally. The reason I will do this is if for some reason in the future I can't provide support, I can still turn on my computer and know that I am moral and right even though I didn't pay for it.

What I am doing is not supporting Microsoft. My money is my vote. I will for as long as I can support Linux and its ideals.

jim
31st March 2005, 04:56 PM
I dropped MS for multiple reasons

1. Cost of owning a Windows based PC is rediculus
XP $200
office $200
Spending all day updating because of viruses Too much money (my time)
Antivirus software $50 + 50 yearly subscription
Any application you want $$$$$$$$$

2. See reason 1

3. Even with Anti-virus software would still get Viruses (wife likes to download stuff :eek: )
She is now converted to Linux but uses XP in a pinch when needed) <--- still trying to break her of that
Want to know how i converted her? 2 ways showed her the Atlantis screensaver (loves dolphins and such) & told her if you can figure out how to load XP then you can keep it (purposly unplugged the XP hard drive while installing FC3)

4. See reason 1

5. I can give back to the community what I have learned and not have to dish out $100 to MS for support for their mistakes. :mad:

6. Se reason 5

tatangel4eva
31st March 2005, 05:29 PM
I moved to linux, after I had my two classes at ITT for linux, I knew then I wanted to learn more about it and get famliar with it. I love it. I had XP on my laptop and I always wanted to throw my laptop out the window I had so many problems. My XP was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow and annoying and I hated that blue screen of death. So perfect oppurtuity to learn linux. I love being in class and trying to help people and get the oppurtuinty to say "no wait thats linux, its much easier in linux.." hahaha

The Mekon
31st March 2005, 11:37 PM
My reasons for trying out Linux was also due to Windows licensing conditions. In the space of a couple of weeks both my wifes HP Pavilion 510a and my AMD based no name system experienced problems.

The HP machine's hard disk became flaky and difficult to boot so I bought a new hard disk and using the software provided with it moved, so I thought, all the data from the flaky drive the new one. (I have done this several times before while up grading drives on my and friends machines with out a problem.) When I tried to reboot from the new drive it refused to do so but would boot, after a time, from the old drive. Using Windows disk management I discovered that the HP built in recovery partition had not been copied across due to is file format. Actually none of my normal disk copying/cloning software would transfer this partition and without it the machine would not boot!

The HP help centre told me I had to buy a new recovery CD from them and this would reinstall the software as it was when it was delivered three years ago( i.e an old version of XP Home and some unused utility programs). I asked why I should pay for something I had already paid for and was told that that was HP's agreement with Microsoft. I also asked if they knew of a way to copy our legal partition from the old to the new disk and was told no. Thank you Mr. HP and Mr. Microsoft. (Actually I later found a freeware package, HD Clone, which actually copies a disk bit by bit to another. It takes ages but produces a mirror image of the old disk on the new providing it is big enough.)

I had by now purchased a new machine for my wife so she could play her favourite PC game which I had given her for a Christmas present, at 68 she is now a games addict! Next my machine just stopped working. After a while by substituting known good components for old I discovered that every thing worked except the motherboard. I resurrected the HP machine using HD clone and after a while bought a replacement motherboard so I could use it with XP professional which I had installed on my old machine.

When I rebuilt my old machine it booted and told me to re-activate my license which I tried to do but was refused. A phone call to Microsoft resulted in me being told that as I was using an OEM version of XP Professional that they would not allow me to reactivate it as it was tied to my old motherboard. I pointed out that I had legally bought it with a hard drive upgrade kit which I was still using. This they said may be the case but on first activation my old motherboard ID was used to lock the activation to that board and hard luck!

Now I have one machine running Linux FC3 and one running an old copy of XP Home and my wife uses her XP Home machine. In future apart from a couple of things such as scanning (my Canon D1250U has no support to date) I shall not use the Microsoft machines.

The Mekon

aka Brian Edwards

owakroeger
1st April 2005, 12:17 AM
The instability and vulnerability of Win98SE; After the zillionth crash, and the answer from MS that the best solution was to upgrade, I thought, "I'll upgrade, alright. I went out and bought RedHat9. I dual-booted for a few months, and decided that there was still a need to have Office 2000 suite, as I exchanged both Word and Excel documents with others in the Windows world. Although OpenOffice could convert Word and Excel documents and then save them as .doc or .xls , when I sent the modified documents out, the fonts were so mutilated that users couldn't use them.
I came on Win4Lin in June of last year, installed it on my FC2, and that problem was solved. It is interesting, though, that my old Win98SE is stable as a rock running on my FC2, and now FC3 platform. I haven't had the blue screen of death for nearly a year.
Hopefully, OpenOffice will fix the bug that destroys fonts when saved back to .doc or .xls Then I'll kiss Windows good-by for good. Till then, I have a good working solution, and I haven't spent another dime on MS products, just the $90 us for Win4Lin. That $90 saved me the cost of a Windows upgrade..... money well spent, I'd say.
Linux vobiscum. Et cum source-code tuo!
owa

Zigzagcom
1st April 2005, 06:21 AM
I won't drop Windows, but I am embracing Linux (FC#), because it enriches my experience with all things computer. My windows box has been clean as a whistle for the last year, mainly because I have learned how to maintain it. I have run into a few virii in the past, but they have been a minor irritant. I am using almost exclusively free apps to secure the Win box along with the default firewall in conjunction with my gateway/router.
Linux as a whole has forced me to get of my butt and deal with issues that are very much hidden in Windows, due to the emphasis on graphics, although linux distros are making much headway in this regard.
I study networking and system administration, and linux has tremendously improved my grasp of underlying concepts. And because I want to work in the IT industry, I feel that it is to my benefit to understand both commercial and open source OS's. There is no reason for me to dislike either.

roolegion
1st April 2005, 11:10 AM
You would be surprized at how much open-source software is out there. When I first arrived at my workplace, I found out that we have a FreeBSD 4.4 file server sitting there, happy as a clam, for years and NO-ONE KNEW WHAT IT WAS !!!

Yet, it still worked ... even after I tinkered with it :-) However, I got out of FreeBSD because we went and got some new servers and we (i.e. assistant managers) all needed to learn about them so that anyone on tour at the time of a failure, could assist in the reparations of it.

the_profiler
2nd April 2005, 03:05 AM
almost every problem was solved concerning security like viruses.. spywares..blablabla

stability.. uptime for 30days or more!

the FOSS philosophy..

highly customizable to suit my needs..

has all the applications possible right in one installation..

need i say more?

but well.. i barely play wind0ze based games anymore.. besides.. there is NetHack Falcon and Battle for Wesnoth.. and WINE. :cool:

tista
5th April 2005, 02:29 PM
i dopped windows cos windows rescue cd destroyed my mbr and also 60 gigs of history from 1996..i hate windows..

TheRicXperience
5th April 2005, 07:48 PM
Linux has been something I've always had interest in. Though I was never brave enough to format my Windows machine and give it a shot. My first experience with Linux came from a Linux Administration class I took last semester at college. Through that class I learned FC2 and I've seen other people use Gentoo and Mandrake. Seeing as those were the three distro's I was exposed to...

I examined them carefully, after some time looking at the features of the three distro's I decided on FC3.

I am in the process of building a PC and will have it up shortly after May 6th (The last purchase for my PC). I've seriously thought about making it a Linux box, but I think I am going to go with a dual boot system. I will have a 160GB HDD. I plan on using 120GB for FC3 and the rest (40GB) for WinXP Pro.

snipehack
12th April 2005, 06:02 AM
I'm new to linux, and I like it but it is just so damn difficult to learn compared to other operating systems. It is still my number 1 choice for a server though, Windows is too insecure of course, and I'm not going to buy a Mac purely for use as a server. I noticed that no one talks about Mac OS X in here. OS X is my operating system of choice, it's very easy to use, yet you've still got the unix core if you ever feel the urge to use the terminal. I use Windows probably once every two weeks, most of the time just to fix my dad's computer. However, I have vowed to not purchase anything from Microsoft (unless it involves earning money or something....?). I really just can't stand Windows, because it is soooooo slow. It doesn't matter if you have 1 gig of ram, it is still very very slow. :mad:

Error403
29th April 2005, 04:19 PM
I will have a 160GB HDD. I plan on using 120GB for FC3 and the rest (40GB) for WinXP Pro.

My FC3 box is a p3-1000 with a dedicated 250 gigs hd. Pretty useful for remote downloading ;)

bubudiu
29th April 2005, 08:06 PM
Who said we had dropped windows? It may come as a surprise to a few of you but using fedora does not mean you have ditched windows (or solaris/mac/bsd etc). This is one example of narrow-mindedness among some of you.

cruiseoveride
29th April 2005, 10:17 PM
i moved over to linux at redhat 6.0, when my win98 machine decided to tur 16gb of music into empty folders, after a scandisk thing, i said thats it and never looked back since, i ran bsd after that and then mandrake 9 and shrike and then startd using Fedora
Will never look back and will mever go back!!!!!!!!!!

kanttu
30th April 2005, 04:29 AM
My reasons for using Linux instead of Windows:
1) for gaining Linux 1337 h4x0r status
2) Windows' weakness of all kind of adware ****e
3) all the most usable softwares for Windows are commercial of shareware
4) I hate Micro$oft

backlash
30th April 2005, 09:46 PM
I moved from Windows because I was bored. I like to build and install software myself. I also like the feeling of total control. If Linux messes up it's your fault and no one else's fault. I don't really play games except ET and that runs great on Linux. The only problem I have had with Linux is CD/DVD burning.

owakroeger
1st May 2005, 02:20 AM
I agree about building, tweaking, breaking, fixing,.... control over my box. I still have win98 running on win4lin because the folks I work with on the outside world are still using windows, and I need to exchange excel and word documents with them. But, eventually, that will go away, I hope.
As for cd/dvd burning, try K3B. It's the best, in my opinion.
owa

dnar
1st May 2005, 05:44 AM
Windows crashing taking my data with it the day before my quarterly business tax return was due.

At that time I was running Linux on other machines just to play (mid-late 90's). I rebuilt the crashed Windows box with RedHat 6.2 running Win4Lin and have not looked back. The only native booting Windows machines I have now are the kids XP box (a nightmare of worms, adware etc) and XP dual-boot laptop (FC3).

mick
1st May 2005, 05:48 AM
Why did I ditch Window$? Let's see... :rolleyes:

Two words: Common sense ;)

Mick

astronoman
1st May 2005, 06:02 AM
The registry. And all the crap that poorly designed programs leave on after uninstalling.
Not to say that Linux doesn't have these problems.

the_profiler
1st May 2005, 06:48 AM
@mick - common sense is not common anymore. :D

hmm.. the command line is very powerful!

It was like.. when (in Wind0ze) I run an application, it pops-up and it closes right away.. you would have no idea why it went like that..

In Linux, when you are in the gui site, the same thing is.. BUT you can always execute it using the terminal and it will return the conflicts where it had failed.. and that's really very helpful.. as compared to Wind0ze's CMD. :cool:

Vinneh
1st May 2005, 08:28 AM
VMware ;-)

cruiseoveride
1st May 2005, 08:57 AM
if u guys keep ur fingers crossed ill be changing my office into linux, there is a proposal about it, so ill be working on it next week, the main prob is the accounting software we run, its a custom made thing which works on a server/client basis, with the server soft designed for NT
but anyways, keep em crossed for me.

the_profiler
1st May 2005, 09:38 AM
if u guys keep ur fingers crossed ill be changing my office into linux, there is a proposal about it, so ill be working on it next week, the main prob is the accounting software we run, its a custom made thing which works on a server/client basis, with the server soft designed for NT
but anyways, keep em crossed for me.

Xandros! :D

cruiseoveride
1st May 2005, 09:58 AM
the staff dont have any inclination in either direction, windows/linux, they just use their software and thats it so even if i can put the icon of our accounting software on an elephant, it wouldnt matter to them as long as they can click on it,
hopefully if wine supports tcp/ip and our soft, then the clients can get up and running first thing.
the server can sit as NT4 for a while, or maybe put the server daemon on a vmware workstation

Artik
1st May 2005, 06:18 PM
Because I can. When I retuned to Linux couple of month ago I have found ready to use system for dayly desktop purposes. Good multimedia support - Xmms, Xine. No problems with Hebrew support. OpenOffice. Gimp... and other good stuff that makes you computer ready for use as desktop. Actually today Linux suits most of dayly computer usage purposes.
The configurability of the desktop - I like when I can put any button/luncher or other stuff at place I want. Finally KDE and Gnome desktop much better then Windows desktop.
The concept of Linux/UNIX as operation system is much better then Window's one. Actually because UNIX is operation system
I allways wanted to use something different from Windows...

Actually I didn't drop windows at all. I still have to use it at work. And for gaming purposes Windows still better (Not because it is better system games that support multiple platforms run better on Linux) .

hav0x
2nd May 2005, 12:59 AM
i didn't drop it.
i trashed it.
why? the common sense thing and just cuz.
:D

R3V3L4T10N
2nd May 2005, 08:09 AM
Wow, just too many reasons to list them all.

The security holes, the registry, the annoying updates, the ugly GUI. It's so simple really. Windows just can't compete with Linux.

What more can I say?

Lopov
3rd May 2005, 09:15 AM
I dropped windows cause I hate Bill Gates.

bitrain
3rd May 2005, 09:20 AM
- Because of the updates which trashed my windows.
- the security (can you speak of security :confused: )
- linux is much better configurable
- virtual desktops :cool:
- free!!!

Do I need to say more.....

oldman_420
5th May 2005, 07:28 PM
Currently installing Fedora Core 3 on my laptop at home (but had to come to werk grrr).

Why?

1) Open source.
I was hosting a party once and handed a friend a beer. He gladly took and drank as if it were the best tasting beer in the world. Upon downing it he said - "There's only one thing better than beer... free beer!" ... i guess that kinda applies, in some way... ha!

2) Fedora Core 3 is a constant 'work in progress' vs. Packaged distros.
Eventually I'd like to get on the development end of things (lot to learn yet!). Being an engineer well versed in C and C++ I hope to learn some graphics language (tcl/tk?), python and bash scripting (maybe perl too, but perl intimidates me) and join the development community.

3) WinXP SP2 is a bloated hunk of crap. I get at least 5 viruses and 10-15 ad/spyware a week, most by windows exploits. After uninstalling programs I usually have to go into the registry and REALLY remove it. Sometimes I feel that I spend more time maintaining windows than using it ... and theres no 'efficient' way to maintain it because users get a fluffy, nice-to-look-at interface that is laid down upon who knows how many layers of crap that you can't get to.

4) And yes, I suppose the moral reasons as well. Bill Gates was in the right place at the right time and used IBM as a stepping stone into the software spotlight which led to a empire of Machiavellian nature. I'm sure theres millions of posts about the evils of microsoft so I won't get into it ... but the jist of it is MS took the "free" out of "free market".

However, I still give credit to MS for some of their technological achievements, and the way they treat their employees (as I have several friends who work or have worked there - I turned down the offer and now do medical imaging research instead, and this hospital uses linux!! )

nilsmo
8th May 2005, 03:54 PM
Mostly moral reasons, discussed by oldman in reason4, which are heavily influenced by "open source". Also the work in progress.

I don't really care about the viruses and spyware, because I can handle that on windows.

laris
8th May 2005, 08:46 PM
umm...microsoft lol :)

jult
11th May 2005, 02:41 AM
well SP2 is IMHO funny :) they really haven't added anything useful to it :)

[...]
2] hardened MSIE - well it is a myth. it is still the same MSIE, nothng changed beneath. still to deeply integrated in system, still with unsecure features like ActiveX - it is just they are turned off by defaut so first thing you will do is reebable thise features since without them nothing works. nice patch... really.Well, the current mozilla firefox has a security-risk that is worse than anything I have ever encountered with IE. And where's the patch?

Not that I don't like firefox, but I still have to say that the Sun java-engine plugin for firefox is utter crap compared to the VM that IE uses internally.

BigJ
11th May 2005, 03:05 AM
I still use Windows on a daily basis, as I'm a network support person at my job. I also have a Windows XP box at home, mainly because I'm a huge gamer and not everything comes out on Linux. I know you can run most stuff using things like Wine (?) but I'd rather not bother with it to be honest.

I've had little to no trouble with security issues on my Windows boxes, and zero on my XP box since I built it last fall. I have it locked down tightly, and I use Firefox and Thunderbird for my browsing/e-mail needs. :)

I'm using Linux on a second machine mainly as an experiment to see how well I like it, and whether I want to continue working with it. So far it has been fun, so I'll have to see how things progress in the future.

While I might be in the minority here, I must say I like using both Windows and Linux. :D

bigJ

the_profiler
14th May 2005, 03:23 AM
Not that I don't like firefox, but I still have to say that the Sun java-engine plugin for firefox is utter crap compared to the VM that IE uses internally.

actually.. you still need to update the VM in IE.. why? obviously, it is due to the deprecated commands that the old VM is still using.. thus, the latest applets out there were more patterned to run on the latest VM.. (which is java 5.0 AFAIK).. therefore.. setting the Java VM for firefox with the latest version of Java is better than the one used by IE (internally if you say so) :D

allensco
26th May 2005, 04:52 AM
I tried Linux out of curiousity. My curiosity got peaked by lurking in newsgroups and forums (like this one). After using it for awhile, I decided to try and do eveything with it and guess what, I can! I still have a Win2K drive in the box for very occassional use but do ALL my everyday stuff on my FC3 box. I've been using Linux for several years now...about 6 and a half (2 yrs fulltime)...and couldn't see myself without it.
The things I was disgusted with winders was having to run an antivirus and a couple of ad/mal/spyware killers and bad memory management (even with a gig of ram...still bad). Winders will never be as cool as Linux. I'm not a hacker or anything close...but just love it. :D

josolanes
26th May 2005, 12:00 PM
I switched to linux just to try something new. When I saw Fedora had Openoffice, then I thought that I really have nothing to lose....so I completely dropped Windows (since I could do much of what I could do within Windows in linux).

I got tired of Windows crashes and having to restart to keep the computer running smoothly. With Fedora, I might restart once a day at most....Windows, several times a day. I also liked how customizable the GUI is in linux (Gnome or KDE...more-so KDE imo) compared to the Windows GUI and how well Fedora uses the ram. I have a 1.5 gig swap (way more than needed) and it's never used at all. Windows would have the swap running constantly....which got old really fast when trying to play games or having several apps open at a time.

I've completely made the switch...and, though I've had some problems (mostly because I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing at first), I am very happy I've switched. I've been using only Fedora (no Windows installed) for about a month now. :)

kenhall4
26th May 2005, 01:14 PM
For me it has never really been a case of switching to linux instead of Windows. I've always been more familiar with linux/Unix than Windows! I started using Unix back in 1991 (Solaris), before I'd ever heard of Windows, when PCs were just running DOS. To me it's always been obvious that a decent OS should have a good command line interface, something that Windows has always been lacking, which I consider to be its biggest flaw. I've always wanted to run a Unix-like OS on a PC, so the appearance of linux was just what I was waiting for, although I didn't buy a home PC until last year as I preferred to wait until linux had matured somewhat and had become well-established.

Apart from having a command line interface, the other things which I prefer about linux are its security, its flexibility and the fact that I feel in control of what's happening, whereas Windows sometimes seems to have a mind of its own and is uncontrollable.

wshawn
26th May 2005, 01:46 PM
I left windows because...
Thats interesting. Might I them assume the majority of linux users are ex-windows users or ex-<os> users? Are any linux users native? I guess that would explain why desktop linux is always emulating its competitiors.

Actually you have this backwards. MS has also taken most of its new technologies from Mac and Linux and has had the practice of stealing technology since DOS. THere are way to many books, articles, and web sites, which accurately depict the rise of Microsoft, so I will not repeat it here. It is an evil we have to learn to tame. But to provide an example, the ability to stack multiple similar programs in the task bar was inroduced in KDE years before XP came out. Some of the thinking and lingo in Longhorn can be directly chased back to Linux. For example: everything will be considered an "Object" where as in Linux they are called "files." And the file system layout is different and will look somewhat familiar to the Linux admin. MS's Red Hat Engineers are doing their job fine there.

Personally I have been around since DOS 2 and traveled via OS/2 (Bill Gates said it was the answer for the world), etc, etc.

I use windows for two reasons: Games and flash movie production for web sites. I run a tech outsourcing company which supports both platforms. My son at age 11 could install Linux properly, setting appropriate partitions across hard drives, etc. So I am also training him in both worlds. Preference doesn't matter outside my own system because I typically inherit projects from people who thought they understood what it was they were doing and how to apply the technology to get it done. If a project is fresh and has not had a business built on it then we would start them in linux. If they have MS based databases and dongles decrypting access to the data then we are a tad bit stuck, until we can rip the data into a format that is usuable.

Bottom line, I use Linux for stability, security, and consistency. I use windows for people who just want things to work and really don't want to have to deal with learning something new. I just drop them to normal users and turn off assorted windows activities which can allow them to be trashed, also use spybot to lock down Internet Explorer and set windows update as the home page. Install firefox, and Thunderbird and antivirus from none mainstream companies which can easily be turned off or taken over. Once it is set up I ghost their systems. If something happens I just put it back (data, email, my docs, etc are on a data drive).

For me the bottom issue is a very VERY simple one. With every new release of Windows, MS seems to start over from scratch. Where as with Linux we keep building on what works, making it stable and secure as we go. I build things and love simplicty -- I use Linux where ever I can, including on my new Dell i9200 laptop. 30 minutes after I got it, it was erased and Fedora was on its way...

chili555
30th May 2005, 02:00 PM
Like many here, I got tired of reboots, viruses, spyware, malware, etc.

I build all my own computers. I enjoy selecting the best components for my needs and bolting it all together. That moment when the computer starts the first time and the BIOS screen pops up is magic! I did NOT enjoy buying a retail copy of Windows plus Office plus Anti-Virus. I did not enjoy Windows activation, and re-activation after a new component arrived from Newegg.

I tried Linux (Mandrake 7.something) and liked it. It does everything I need to do. My wife hung on to Windows XP for a long time and just recently agreed the virus, spyware, malware life was not for her. I installed Fedora on her machine and now all four of our computers run Fedora only. She emails, surfs the web, banks on-line, etc. and agrees that Linux fully meets her needs. I yum check-update her machine via ssh weekly. She is never even aware that any maintenance took place.

Speaking about reboots, her machine's uptime is now 31 days.

We are looking forward to June 6, the release of Fedora Core 4.

kona0197
30th May 2005, 06:25 PM
I've never had to activate my copy of XP or re-activate it after adding hardware. I have never gotten a virus while employing a proper anti-virus program. I use Antivir abd it's free. Weekly ad-aware and mal-ware scan reveal little to nothing.

Linux will never be as good as Windows. Windows has better games, better drivers, better hardware support. And installing stuff in windows is a simple as inserting a CD and a few clicks. Uninstalling is just a easy. Oh by the way did I mention Windows Media Player plays everything I need it to (MP3, MPEG, regualr audio CDs, AVI) right out of the box?

wshawn
30th May 2005, 07:00 PM
Have to concur here. I have no issues with Windows out side of security, consistency, and longevity. Keeping windows clean from "crap" is easy if you maintain it, but on the other side of things you have to know to only chnage one peice of hardware at a time and reboot twice to avoid activation issues. You also have to deal with the 6 month bug with the registry doubling. Personally, Ghost fixes that.

I can not agree with Linux never being better than Windows. Many of the "enhancements" featured by WIndows has "borrowed" (cough) from Linux and the Mac, as fas as Multimedia this is a point of contention with me as I do not understand why Microsoft and Red Hat (and others) think they have to police MY computer... leave the software unbroken.

Personally, I long for some of the baseline simplicity of Windows to be implemented in Linux, with the configurations and customizations still left in place for the end users. That day is coming. The vast improvements in the space of just one version of windows is mind boggling when compared to the limited change during the years between version of windows. I suspect before the end of this decade we will see a much different story... I look forward to it.

kona0197
30th May 2005, 07:04 PM
I've removed more than 2 pieces of hardware at once and have never had to deal with activating XP. I never had to activate it in the begining. I've never had a problem with the registry doubling. :)

wshawn
30th May 2005, 07:07 PM
I have to wonder if you have a Micorsoft certified legit copy of Windows.... Corporate versions do not cause the reactivation to happen, which is why those are the most pirated. Also, you registry does double every six months unless you do something about it. This is well documented in the MS whitepaper...

But in any regard, things are changing for the better.

Artik
30th May 2005, 07:55 PM
1. And installing stuff in windows is a simple as inserting a CD and a few clicks.
2. Uninstalling is just a easy.
3. Oh by the way did I mention Windows Media Player plays everything I need it to (MP3, MPEG, regualr audio CDs, AVI) right out of the box?

1st it is correct if you have CD - most of times you have to download if from internet (and then find a crack :p )... I can't tell it is easier then use Synaptic - but different.

It can be very problematic with different conflicting packaghes - for example:

Installed DivX codacs - video works no ac3 sound.
Installed additional codacs... I can hear ac3 sound... NO VIDEO...
Reinstalled DivX - finally I can see picture and video...

Other:

One of my programs had used same dll with different versions... Untill I figured out that installation of each of them had rewritten same DLL and... it took a long time and headache.

IS IT NORMAL AND EASY PROCESS???

And I'm not taking about Rebooting each time you want to install something...

2nd - Easy in case all works well - if not... it becomes hell:
Just few examples:

The driver installation failed because of HW fault... The add remove program added files to every place in the disk but... because installation failed - they can't be removed...
I used to do a lot of video encoding/decoding. All worked well untill I had to add subtitle and installed some additional codacs... I did the movie with subtitles and then all the codacs system was broken... The movies wre not encoded properly, also decoding didn't work... I tryed to uninstall all codacs and resintall them... Nothing - cleaning registry desintallation/resintallation of different codacs hadn't helped... The entry encoding system was broked without a chance to become alive.

Yes most of times all works well untill something happens - and you have nothing to do. Believe me I'm not new user... I know how things work. And installation/deinstallation is not harder in Linux it is different from windows.

3rd
It is not correct.

Windows doesn't gives you DivX, XVid, DVD, RealMedia playback. It had taken me a long time to make my windows computer to read all of them.

Basic audio/video packages come with most of distributions (in FC you need to work a little to add then - in Debain all out of box).

All video support can be easily added with few clicks in Synaptic!!! And packages do not conflict one with other.

Actually codacs hell is the thing that made me to drop windows finally... Also the stability issues when the system can't work properly 2-3 days without rebooting!!!

Probably for someone MS Windows is better - he is more familiar to it...
But for me I know MS Windows is very bad product... and a way behind modern linux system in most of concepts.

Probably it is question of taste!!!

kona0197
30th May 2005, 08:01 PM
Artik - sorry to hear about your luck. My system has never become unstable. And yes my system plays MP3, MPEG, AVI, and CD right out of the box. All I do for DVD is install PowerDVD. XP also burns CDs out of the box but I prefer Nero.

I've never had a problem installing codecs either.

I never use Realplayer. To many bugs with the windows version and I don't like the way it plays stuff and it seems like it is borderline spyware.

I love Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer!

Artik
30th May 2005, 08:08 PM
Artik - sorry to hear about your luck. My system has never become unstable. And yes my system plays MP3, MPEG, AVI, and CD right out of the box. All I do for DVD is install PowerDVD. XP also burns CDs out of the box but I prefer Nero.

I've never had a problem installing codecs either.

I never use Realplayer. To many bugs with the windows version and I don't like the way it plays stuff and it seems like it is borderline spyware.

I love Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer!

It is fine for me if someone likes windows stuff... There are many good thing there... But there lots of things that are not so strightforward as they look like when you start look deeper...

By the way I also wanted to add that Office Suite does not come out of box :)

I also allmost had no problems with viruses and when I had it was only on my fault... But when you begin to work daily with Linux you begin to understand... what is real difference.

And then you just can't work in windows (I do it daily at work)... You miss lots of tools...

Multiple desktops.
Really configrable desktop.
Text editors that a way better then notepad... etc. etc...

kona0197
30th May 2005, 08:24 PM
Well - yes Linux might have some things up it's sleeve that are better than Windows. But after my experiences with Fedora and Mandrake I would have to say I'm a Windows guy.

woranl
31st May 2005, 07:34 AM
I left windows because of TUX

biomed0101
31st May 2005, 09:19 AM
Hi everyone. New here, and to Fedora. I started using a computer when I was about ten years old, in those days a 8088 processor with MS DOS 3.20 and a 16 color screen was the one that kicked ass, no mouse, no HDD, just 5.25Ļ disk drives (2 of them actually). I was running it on MS DOS 3.20 and it was really cool (especially when you were one of the two people at school who had a computer at home). We had this old machine for about fifteen years. So, at the time we at home were still using the good olī 8088, the 286 machines came out and they had windows 3.1 on them, but still DOS was the OS running the machine.

I wondered about these Windows, I only knew that the Apple Mac was running on such an interface (I didnīt even know what an interface was), then (I think it was in 1993) the 486 came out, and still we had the 8088 as our main computer. Two years later (I think) the Intel Pentium processor was introduced and Microsoft introduced its Windows 95. I liked the GUI, because the next computer after the 8088 was a Pentium (I guess it was a PII), and I never used a GUI so much before we had this machine. After that I had a notebook computer also running on windows (ME) and the OS started getting on my nerves more and more, not just because of the crashes and blue screens, but also because of the software I was forced to buy.

Then, in 1997, I heard about something that was called UNIX (I thought it was a cool name, so this UNIX had to be cool IMO), but it was nowhere to be found. I bought some books about UNIX and so I learned that, like programming languages, OSes also come in different styles, and that UNIX was a very, very stable OS, and a lot more different than Windows. Along with UNIX I heard some friends talk about Linux, that Linux was sort of UNIX, but it was free. Interested as I was, I still kept using Windows as my OS because I was afraid that I wouldnīt understand Linux at all (UNIX and like OSes seemed kind of high tech to me).

up until weeks ago I had WinXP on my machine (today I use a AMD Sempron machine) and it annoyed me more and more, because it went very slow and when the HDD was reading/writing I didnīt know what it was reading/writing, the computer stopped a couple of times, leaving me with a screen where nothing happened, there was no I/O and all the machine did was running the fan.

First, I wanted to get SuSE, because I liked the chameleon on the cover and I heard that it was easy to use. But I had no money to buy it (I buy a lot more books than I do software). So I got this book about RedHat from a friend of mine. The book came with two CDīs with RedHat 9. I was so fed up with WinXP that I installed it and started working with it. I knew some of the UNIX basics (ls, cd, etc.) so I checked it out. Itīs really cool to work with the shell and as I browsed around on the Internet most of the procedures were explained by using the shell, it reminded me of the good old DOS days, I hope that even in the future using the shell will not disappear in Linux.

Last week I uninstalled RedHat (didnīt want to upgrade) and did a fresh install of Fedora Core 3. Iīm using it right now, and I can say that I will never run Windows on my computer ever again. Why? Because with Linux Iīm more in control of my machine than I was with Windows. It only reads/writes when I give it a task to do and not in between. Itīs stable, I can run up to four or even more programs at a time without worrying about it to stop right in the middle. I donīt have to worry about my budget because I can download the apps I need free from the Internet. And the most important thing, Iīm learning to know my computer more and more, because Linux gives me a peek into what my computer does and teaches me how my dear machine works with the programs.

So this is what I have to say to all those Linux developers, keep on doing the good work, I have great hopes for this OS, look at where it was eight years ago, where everyone (who knew Linux) thought of it being a hard to use OS, and look at where it is now.

rejser
31st May 2005, 11:28 AM
Tried it 7 years ago (about), liked it, never been into gaming (except nwn which is working better in linux I think). Like to be able to customize everything to my need.
Why spend mony on a system where I get less?
Also I'm into programming, which makes it an even more obvious choice

MasterAaron
30th June 2005, 04:27 AM
5 reasons:
1) I like to tinker
2) Windows likes to tinker
3) I don’t like being tinkered with
4) Neither does windows
5) Linux is fun to tinker with

That and to upgrade windows you must upgrade the PC. To upgrade the PC you must upgrade windows. Winders cost more than the PC, but less expensive to produce. Just because Billie boy has the money to buy himself a new computer every time to touches doesn’t mean that I have the money to spend on disposable computers.

spacedonkey
14th July 2005, 04:49 AM
Was on 98se which was lean, mean, and never crashed the way i had it configured at least.
MS announced they were ending directX support for 98. So...Not digging bloatware, i moved on to linux, this time im here for good. Cause unlike FC3,.. FC4 works with my soundcards and everything else.
FC4 mite be buggy as all hell but i smell victory with Linux.

ps. Cinelerra looks sweet

slippytoad
7th August 2005, 12:44 AM
Because I've always respected Unix and its technical philosophy, I've always loved open source and the ideas behind it and I'm obsessed with the network, the internet and the open protocols. Windows is technically inferior IMO and its developers and community do not share the above philosophies. Linux is more fun, more tweakable. Windows is more locked down, less professional. I would pay money for Linux.

judgeice
7th August 2005, 01:15 AM
I work in IT and Linux is useless to me as a desktop OS due to software compat as you can guess. However I prefer it on servers whenever possible due to better security and speed no virus threats really etc. Another thing is it can provide job security since config is more complex :)

judgeice
7th August 2005, 01:18 AM
One other thing is that i wonder if linux might kick butt in the 64bit server os market?

Aleap of faith
9th August 2005, 03:11 PM
You don't need a crack for win2kpro if you find the corporate version. Look on warez and you might find it there. Then all you need do is look for a serial number and your set.

Aleap of faith
9th August 2005, 03:21 PM
I switched for most of the reasons here except I don't game. It did take some effort and time to get everything going like I needed, but with the time I spent protecting windows from viruses, fixing my system after it crashed, loosing data because windows got a virus, and on and on I have had more time now to do what I need on my computer using fc4. I am so thank full I made the switch. I just wish the Linux community would all work together to build a version that the average person could use out of the box like windows. That way people like my step father would be able to install it and see why I am so happy. Then Mr. Gates would have to change his ways and build a product that actually worked or get out of the industry.

mbokil
9th August 2005, 03:24 PM
Money.

I used to work as a web developer making a big, fat salary. Now I work i health care and don't make as much. I couldn't afford to update windows 98 to XP. I looked around and found Fedora linux books at my local book store. I installed Fedora 2 off a DVD and abandoned windows after that.

I currently use Fedora 4 and like it a lot. I find I have everything I want on linux without missing windows. The one thing I miss occasionally is playing 3d shooter games. I know there are ways to get them to work on linux but am too lazy to sit down and get them to work.

-mark

William Haller
9th August 2005, 03:40 PM
At work, we started with Ohio Scientifics. We then moved to Kaypro's because they were portable. We then moved to both the PC using some flavor of DOS/Windows and Charles River Data Systems UNOS (Unix Networked Operating System) real time Unix. I took the Unix path, moved on to Xenix, OpenServer, and then Linux. Windows was never something I considered. The only use I make of Windows at this point is testing otherwise standards compliant web pages in MSIE's browser to see how many features don't work there.

mossey
9th August 2005, 03:50 PM
I started using Linux in college last year when a lecturer I had made it his entire course. I downloaded Fedora Core 3 and other distros through the college but Fedora is a favourite.. Will be installing Fedora 64 on my new machine later to see if it will work... Unfortunately I've had to dual boot it with XP for the games :(

cruiseoveride
9th August 2005, 08:38 PM
dual 6800gts wahhhhhhhhhhhhh
and raptors faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccck
man
ur the man

AsianGuyJTran
9th August 2005, 08:45 PM
what made me drop windows [as a server os] is the fact that i got attacked a lot. and fedora core ... no attacks. :-D plain and simple ... plus i hit a 30 day uptime ... once ... i been restarting a lot due to bringing down the boot time ... using bootchart to report my boot time.

mwenger
16th August 2005, 07:40 PM
It's not the security, it's not the stability, it's not even the non-respect for standards, it is the expense. Windows (Microsoft) becomes too expensive over the long run.

ogetbilo
16th August 2005, 07:49 PM
- instability
- lack of customizability
- security holes
- its monopolic philosophy
- cost
- slowness
- insufficent server capabilities

tomcat
16th August 2005, 08:02 PM
1. Cost. The System and the applications were too expensive on the long run.
2. Vulnerability. I was tired of Viruses and troyans and upgrading the security software every week.
3. (BEST REASON!) When I bought new Computers, Windows XP and ME refused to install. Linux worked instantly. :D

mwenger
16th August 2005, 08:06 PM
"The Windows API is so broad, so deep, and so functional that most ISVs would be crazy not to use it. And it is so deeply embedded in the source code of many Windows apps that there is a huge switching cost to using a different operating system instead... It is this switching cost that has given the customers the patience to stick with Windows through all our mistakes, our buggy drivers, our high TCO [total cost of ownership], our lack of a sexy vision at times, and many other difficulties [...] Customers constantly evaluate other desktop platforms, [but] it would be so much work to move over that they hope we just improve Windows rather than force them to move. In short, without this exclusive franchise called the Windows API, we would have been dead a long time ago."

-Aaron Contorer, head of M$ C++ dev.
Taken from wikipedia.org

ZPG
20th August 2005, 12:36 PM
I don't want to use window for a lot of reasons the main reasons being that I donīt like the way they design the os with the general please every one theme it makes me sick and it is just unstable. If I install window I also have to install a heap of programs in an attempt to keep it running efficiently it is ridiculous.
And also 14 year olds have made virus or worms for window so what does that tell you, are they geniuses who just happen to like doing this kind of thing or is the window os just designed from the beginning with these type of flaws over looked.

bub
21st August 2005, 02:42 AM
Well I never ditched Windows; I dual booted FC3 last weekend on this rig (I've booted into XP about 4 times since then :D ).

I still love Windows: the load of cool programs, the gui, the availability of knowledge on Windows, easiness of use, I could go on (for a few minutes, I'm tired :D:D )

I just like the way Linux feels over the way Windows does.

DRE.ORGY.NET
21st August 2005, 02:45 PM
Spyware pure and simple

Thomas Howard
21st August 2005, 09:37 PM
Just ditched Windows a few weeks ago because it kept breaking on my computer. Seems the most recent time it broke beyond repair and I dont want to risk harming my fedora core instalation by reinstalling it.

fpoole
21st August 2005, 09:44 PM
I just like the way Linux feels over the way Windows does.

Seconded, but I have many other reasons, and have still more each day. ;)

linmix
21st August 2005, 09:51 PM
I never 'owned' a copy of windows - which doesn't mean I didn't have one istalled for years.
And that's the main reason why I switched to linux: I'd rather use something really free than a pirate copy. Of course it took me some time to find out how o do everything I wanted to with linux tools and find the correct substitutes for my favourite windows programs. But now, after about a year of using only linux I've solved almost all my issues (still trying to figure out how to record sound from my mic. input though)

The reason I started getting interested in linux was different though. I've always liked to tinker with my PC and from some articles I read I got the impression there was much more fun to be had from linux than from windows. I wasn't let down! There are still times everyting goes completely wrong, but as opposed to what I did when I had windows installed (reinstall, either clean or on top of the existing installation) I now have many more possibilities of fixing the system and a huge and incredibly supportive user group that helps out in this and other forums. (thanks guys !!)

bub
21st August 2005, 10:56 PM
I stil love Windows though. It's just the prices!!!!!!! I have like 2 or 3 products I paid for (besides games), the rest is freeware stuff. 2 that I can name right now is Webroot SpySweeper and Partition Magic. If I remember right, my computer came with MS Office (it was a sale thing) but.......

One of the main things I wish Linux has is the Auto Installer. You never realize how much that comes in handy.......

tomcat
21st August 2005, 11:05 PM
If you have MS Office preinstalled (and maybe a dvd tool and such stuff), then you didn't get them for free but you paid for them, at least some 200 extra dollars. :p
Oh, and the auto installer does not work well in 50% of cases. It will simply pile up a lot of crap on your system until it becomes unstable. And that without the need of some 80 000 to 120 000 viruses and trojans... :rolleyes:

bub
21st August 2005, 11:07 PM
Ah well, it was worth it then (I got it in '02 )

linmix
22nd August 2005, 06:54 AM
there's apt, yum, yast, ... what other auto-installers do you need?

tomcat
22nd August 2005, 07:46 AM
Maybe he needs emerge, pacman, urpmi, slapt-get, olm, ... :rolleyes:

viperer
11th October 2005, 05:40 PM
Linux is a joke, if you young guys think your getting a head becasue of the cryptic nature of linux think again-

Linux will NEVER be main stream, NEVER! It has as many bugs and probably more than any Windows OS!

Sorry-

BrokenKingpin
11th October 2005, 05:58 PM
Linux is a joke, if you young guys think your getting a head becasue of the cryptic nature of linux think again-

Linux will NEVER be main stream, NEVER! It has as many bugs and probably more than any Windows OS!

Sorry-

You are a retard

Shadow Skill
11th October 2005, 07:21 PM
Maybe he needs emerge, pacman, urpmi, slapt-get, olm, ... :rolleyes:I don't think that is what he means by auto installer, personally I just wish all those commands/tools you named didn't fall apart and cause the system to fall apart the moment you needed to do something manually, I mean really manually.

tomcat
11th October 2005, 09:53 PM
Well, there is Klick, but that is imho a security risk, so I would not use a distro that uses it. But really, if people want an auto installer, what is the procedure right now in Windows? You pop in the cd and "maybe" it has an autorun file, but some haven't. So you need find the installer and then you can install the app. If you download from web, you have to locate the software you are using, then start the download, then start the install and then you are done. But if you decide to do other things at the same time, the system can crash (it happened to me several times in every version of Windows I had used).

Now take a look at e.g. Mandriva. Go to the System Control Center, Software section. Browse through the software available in the sub-categories. Click and the install will be done automatically and you can do anything you want while the apps install without risking a system-crash. This is simply another type of auto-installer. One that works and does not stop your productivity. Well, that's my personal opinion...

And compiling from source is easy... even my girlfriend can do it. ;)

Sorry-Did you register only for telling us these improtant news? You must have a boring life... :D

brock
12th October 2005, 01:32 AM
Linux will NEVER be main stream, NEVER!

Sorry-

Damn! And maybe the music I listen to will never go mainstream either? What am I going to do with my life?

hedning
18th October 2005, 11:30 AM
i droped windows, becuse a friend told me i should try linux, and i liked it, so i stick with it :)
besides of all the opportunitys that you get with linux.

jrv2kgt-s
8th November 2005, 05:03 PM
What made me switch to linux.

The random BSOD when working on large image files in Photoshop did it for me 7 years ago.

a thing
8th November 2005, 10:51 PM
Curiosity got me into GNU/Linux, then I started to use it all the time, so after a few months of mutlibooting with Windows, I just deleted its partition.

Sorry-

Hehe, funny trolls ^^

jrv2kgt-s
9th November 2005, 01:35 AM
viperer, do you have any facts to back up your claim? I'm interested on what factors made you deceide that way?

Here's one good reason to use Unix/Linux based OS's. Please go to http://kernel.org and chack out the uptime on Zeus1. Find me a windows os that has an up-time greater that and it still functioning properly. Right before Hurricane Katrina hit, My apache/mail server had an uptime of around 160 days.

giulix
9th November 2005, 05:02 PM
Haven't done it yet. Why ? One reason: Games. But have been buying compatible hardware for the last 2 years. Now all I've got is supported, so I put down a deadline: August 2006. By that time I don't wnat no windoze nomore. Stuck a note in my cerebrum. Gonna post here again in August 2006 to tell you how I did. Wish me luck... :D (I must stop gaming... I really do...) :(

jrv2kgt-s
9th November 2005, 06:46 PM
Haven't done it yet. Why ? One reason: Games. But have been buying compatible hardware for the last 2 years. Now all I've got is supported, so I put down a deadline: August 2006. By that time I don't wnat no windoze nomore. Stuck a note in my cerebrum. Gonna post here again in August 2006 to tell you how I did. Wish me luck... :D (I must stop gaming... I really do...) :(

PC games is the only thing holding you back. Why not move over to console gaming arena instead of PC. Consoles are more cost effective in the long run, than PCs. PC games generally require you to constantly upgrade hardware to play them effectively which adds up over time. Consoles on the other had range from $150-$400 and generally carry a lifespan of 5+ years. Plus your not constantly upgrading processors, motherboards, video cards, memory, disk drives, sound cards and so on. It's just a thought.

BTW, what game are you currently playing that's holding you back from going full linux?

giulix
10th November 2005, 12:01 AM
Lotsa.... too many to mention, including Silent Hunter III and one to learn to play bridge... but I'm getting there, it's just a matter of time. As I said, no later that August 2006 ;)

firestorm
10th November 2005, 03:26 AM
I haven't switched over completely, still dual booting with FC3. I just don't know enough about Linux yet to go head first into it. Windows is extremely user friendly, and Linux can be(figuring out how to set it up is the hard part lol). I guess I am just used to the nice neat feel of Windows - the viruses, bugs, and other malicious code ;).

I switched to Linux because my cousin told me about it, and he seems to know what he's talking about since he works on Linux servers. I feel that knowing UNIX/Linux will help prepare me for a better job as a computer/electronic engineer.

JN4OldSchool
10th November 2005, 01:30 PM
Let me preface by saying I LOVE XP! Thats right, I have nothing against MS and XP Pro has worked just fine for me for 4 years. My dad HATES MS and you should hear the arguments we would have. But curiosity got the better of me and I tried Linux, RH 8 in fact. It was OK but I was a Windows man. So I tried MEPIS, UBUNTU and SUSE. SUSE was getting close, but I tended to agree with VIPERER. Then I installed FC4. I loved it immediatly. As I worked out the kinks it just kept getting better. I still have nothing against XP, well... maybe the security stuff, but I now find myself working only on my Linux PC. I havent booted the Windows box in weeks. I agree with VIPERER that it will be a cold day in hell before Linux ever conquers the world from Windows, but thats not really the point is it? Any monkey can use a Windows PC. It also gets extremly boreing after a while, you can only tinker with it so much. I enjoy the challenge of working out problems, learning as I go, making my OS run better than any Windows box could hope to match. And I am still a Linux newbie, I have years of knowledge to look forward to! If you are just looking for a replacement for Windows then I would get a Mac, leave Linux alone. You will probably just be dissapointed anyway. Linux is NOT ment to replace Windows, it is an alternative to Windows! But I am living proof that even a Windows junkie can see the light!

sailor
10th November 2005, 04:51 PM
viperer is trolling away...ya know Windows users should be glad that linux is out there! Additional operating systems could lead to MS dropping their inflated prices.
In this case competition is good...it also keeps MS on their toes, implementing things we as linux users have already had for years.

A side benefit for all linux users is a better understanding of their computers..its all good :)

b_martinez
12th November 2005, 10:35 PM
I installed a Lite-On DVD+/- RW and had to re-register Win XP. Then I installed a second hdd- register again.
Then I installed a DVD-ROM. re-registered.Then I installed a third hdd. RE-REGISTERED. Then I installed a second CD-RW. re-registered. I left Windows because I do not think that Microsoft needs to know what equipment I have installed o my box.
Bill

easi
4th December 2005, 10:42 PM
Hi, i use Microsoft Windows since Windows v3.11 Multimedia Edition (That is very old hey hey ;) ) and migrate tu new version each time, Windows 95, WinNT 3.51 Win98 Win98Se Win2000 (And al SP Pack) etc etc. and finaly WinXP.

Recently, i drope Windows for Linux. During one month, i test all linux distro, and finaly i adopte Fedora because all my dedicated servers are under RedHat systems.

I chose to drop windows because i am tired of lost so much time to try to works with this os, i can't stand freeze errors and bugs. Under windows, 80% of my time is to make works windows and his ugly networks. So, 20% of time for real works it's not good. (Perhaps i am not good in windows configuration)

Since 1 year now, i am under linux, and now 99% of the time is realy for my job and not for trying to have a computer that works. Linux is very stable and software that i must use under windows (such acounting software as EBP) i run them with wine :)

Optimal Aurora
5th December 2005, 03:29 PM
I haven't officially or unofficially dropped Windows or Linux yet... Of all of the linux distros I have tried Fedora is the only one I would use because my system runs better with it than it does with gentoo, ubuntu, debian, and suse. I can see why people I meet in NC say use Fedora or RHEL.

I haven't dropped windows because Windows actually stabler than FC4. For me, I haven't had any blue screen of death since back in Windows ME days... Thanks to some work arounds I was the only one of a group of friends that actually got WinME to run stable. I have used windows since 3.1 (don't remember the version), I have also tried Windows XP x64 and currently run the Home and Professional x64 editions. I don't understand how so many people say they have malware problems and memory use age problems, I haven't seen any of that since I drop Win9x for XP. At least under windows, you know that its legal and you don't have to worry about things like libdvdcss2 or w32codecs running under linux.

I have a Gateway system that runs x86_64 versions of linux, and something on it is so properitary that I can't do a lot of the things that many people in this and other forums say they do easily with their distros. For example, dchroot under debian and ubuntu doesn't run perfectly. And for me having something run perfectly is good, the less administration I have to do the better...

EDIT= I also still use Windows because why have a gaming system that you personally customized for gaming and not use it to its fullest extent.

firestorm
5th December 2005, 10:38 PM
I can see why people I meet in NC say use Fedora or RHEL.
NC as in North Carolina? If so, thats where I live :).

Optimal Aurora
6th December 2005, 06:54 AM
Yep... NC as in North, not south, Carolina...

Heck you have to like linux especially your own native linux...

ciscoalltheway
11th December 2005, 05:12 AM
I still need to dual boot, that is until I find a way to do everything in Linux. Why I hate Windows...well, there's Windows ME, SP2 for XP, Windows 98 first edition, "this program stopped responding"---never get malicious code anymore (router, Zone Alarm, Norton 2005, Adaware Pro, and last-but-not-least the amazing Firefox all help with that). Also, I do not like greedy bastards like Bill Gates, who wants to get into mainframes now. The mob's gonna whack him some day---he's pissed off a lot of people. If it weren't for Linux being a solution to Windows frustration, Billy would probably be maimed.

linmix
11th December 2005, 09:31 AM
Although I agree that windows presents a lot of problems and that from aprogrammers point of view it's a minefield of BSOD and virusses, it just so happens that m$ was the first company to 'borrow' or buy all the necessary ideas and pieces of code to make an OS that, with a bit of clever marketing and a good dosis of luck, has become the standard to the n00b pc owner and around 90% of that market. However, for all its shortcomings, neither the technical problems nor the ethical issues of its marketing strategy warrant a desire to 'whack' anyone.

Fortunately, those of us who decided they wanted a safer sollution, one that's 'free' (you fill in the well know definitiion), or simply something different have a choice of options. There's the linux kernel, there's BSD... there's even an OS that (or at least used to be) considered vastly superior in graphical applications and has been around longer than any of the aforementioned Mac.

Why did you change? Because you wanted to try out something new, because you wanted something free (really free, not simply a pirate copy), because you were disappointed with your previous OS, because you want to know a bit about everything...

Windows used to be my 'best option' because it was what I had and knew. Some things didn't work the way I wanted them to - there are still some things I can't get to work like I would like using linux. Sometimes the system did unexpected things I didn't know how to solve - it still happens to me and I don't always get and answer to my questions. But on the whole I managed to do what I needed to do, one way or the other. Now that I use linux and have learned to work with it I realise the control I have over my system in general and how things are done in particular is vastly superior... but to someone who only wants to push a button in a gui those sollutions aren't always available, and sometimes only after a complicated setup process.

This is turning into a Sunday morning sermon :p .... to those recently converetd to linux, welcome to the throng, your fanaticism will wear off eventually, to those who have been here longer: I'm sure you'll all agree that a positive, constructive approach to the question of this thread is the better option... enough said.

Truthfatal
11th December 2005, 10:32 AM
Windows dosn't offer anything that I can't get in linux. -- At least, not anything that I need.

If I get a portable mp3 Player, or Digicam that won't work with Linux I might consider going back to a dual boot system.

mndar
11th December 2005, 10:39 AM
I am not yet in a position where I can nuke windows, mainlly becasue of college stuff.
At first my shift to Linux was only because I was bored with windows and also because I wanted my desktop to be different. More personalized. More "like me" .
But once I started out, it was awe-inspiring . The way I could explore things, the way I could configure them to every minute detail just blew me away!
Had it not been for the college glitch, I could have had windows free in my signature!

wshawn
11th December 2005, 01:57 PM
I will probably never be totally WIndows free. Some of the clients I have are stuck using software worth tens of thousands of dolalrs which have to be on windows, so I will continue to make lots of money from admining them.

I have multiple linux only machines, and even have a dual boot laptop which only sees windows an hour a week or so due to Windows Media File timing issues (text not being displayed in sequence with video on a couple of videos). Other than that everything on it is straight Linux, including business and client information.

We are looking at building a 24 foot by 18 foot addition in the house we are about to buy. I REALLY REALLY wanted to be windowless in that addition, but the wife insisted because...

But I defintiely and very actively replace ever aspect of Windows were I can, and after playing with Windows Vista at a local college for a empromptu presentation (it was really easy to find issues with it -- but it is an beta) it looks like Linux is getting more and more help form Microsoft everyday.

People use learning curves as an excuse have their argument fall apart every time Windows releases a new version, the virtual picture, video, and doc folders are sometyhing I personally do not appreciate nor do I want.

I have already placed a prememptive strike on the earliest possible introduction to Vista being a year after it is released and that is only if I can bear it or lock it down better.

As it is I am deligently replacing every Windows 2003 Server / Domain Controller with Fedora I can find.

Had it not been for the college glitch, I could I had windows free in my signature!

grndplane
11th December 2005, 02:28 PM
I wanted a choice. I also like change, and I was curious what this linux stuff was I keep hearing about. I went to Fedora Core 4 about 2 months ago, and I will never look back for Windows. I have to use it at work, but I find my home computer refreshing. So fast...

macomrade
11th December 2005, 04:02 PM
I was a windows user for about the first 3 years of my computing life....and unfortunately a real zealot. Hey, what can I say...I was young, it's all I knew and I knew it well. (I started really getting into computers when I was 12). Then I was introduced to the Macintosh when I was 15, and never looked back since. Of course at first, I was reserved and a bit predigest against Apple, but then I realized what an awesome and different world it all could be, and that all the flaws and crap I had been putting up with in the windows world, I suddenly, didn't have to deal with. So, when I was 15, I purchased my first Mac, a PowerBook 540c. Old for the times (this was 2001) but still a glimmering beacon of what was to come. At that time, I was still dependent on my windows machines to do a lot of extra work, but that would soon change with in 2002, along with my first job supporting me, I bought my very own PowerMac G3. Again, a little bit aged, but still very usable...and a complete replacement for my PC once and for all!

It all busted loose after that with the purchase of a new-used PowerBook, then after selling that, the brand new purchase of an iBook G4 in 2004 (which I still have), the addition of a PowerMac G3 (Blue and White) for fileserver activities, several iMacs for my family, a few more old Macs like a Macintosh Plus and a PowerMac 8100/80AV. I love my macs....looking back, I can never see why I ever stood for windows, or even used it day to day like I did, there are just so many inconsistencies to its workings it's insane! I feel I know more about the Mac than I ever did on windows and rightfully so.

So, after this mac frenzy and being off x86 for about 3 years, I have come back to the hardware that I had always felt was fun to play with, just not on windows. In late 2003, I started downloading and installing FedoraCore on my loose-end PCs scattered throughout my parents house, and came to realize that Linux was something really exciting, and could completely make useable again my old x86 hardware which I had so fully discarded because windows had been the only thing worth running on them. (noting that, not worth running at all...period).

At first, Linux was confusing as hell. I mean, I've been using Mac OS X for a long time, but never really delved too deeply into it's UNIX underpinnings, so this was new to me. Linux is a different world, for sure...but since my introduction, I have learned a lot and the nice thing about it are the forums and sense of community and belonging you feel towards something that is developed in the open, clear and free of all corporate restrictions, made to be flexible and to adapt to anything and everything. Linux is a big thing, and I think Fedora is probably the best out there...and it was my first distro, so it does have some sentimental value as well. I will continue to try it and be impressed and I am totally excited to see what the future brings for this awesome distro!

ciscoalltheway
11th December 2005, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the condescending reply, linmix. I'm not going to have Billy whacked---perhaps I have a sick sense of humor. I suppose you are high enough upon your throne to assume that I pirated everything I have, whereas Linux is the legit to get everything for free. Was the free distros your idea? Are you the brainstorm behind it all? Perhaps after some less closed-minded reflection, you may see what a very diverse plethera of replies one should expect with an open question like, "Why did you dump Windows?". In itself, that implies unsolveable, or too-time-consuming, problems with Windows. But I don't have to make you aware of that. You're a Linux Guru, and there shall be none before you.

linmix
11th December 2005, 09:12 PM
Didn't know I had worshippers, but I'll have to start a fan club. (just in case: that was not intended seriously) Don't know about you, but I live in a free country and when I don't like something I look for a better alternative instead of trying to kill the tyrant. As a matter of fact I had a 100% pirate system with a couple of 1000$ worth of illegal software and the first and foremost reason why I even considered changing to linux was that I felt it was better to be legal.

If you read carefully after the red mist has dissipated you'll see I was talking about free not as in 0$, but as in open, mine to do with as I wish after get a copy - be it purchased or giftwrapped - or as some would say 'free, not as in free beer, but a s in freedom of speech. Now you are of course free to say and think anything you like (as long as that freedom respects other people's freedom just the same), but I cannot conceive this thread having been started as an excuse to vent anti - and I quote - "greedy bastards like Bill Gates" feelings.

If I said anything that made you feel I was after you then I'm sorry it came out so rotten and you couldn't read past it, so before this develops into a flame - and avoiding that kind of posting was the reason I wrote my previos post in the first place - I hereby apologise for anything you may have considered personal and beg you to try and understand that post as a genuine concern for posting.manners.

JN4OldSchool
11th December 2005, 10:11 PM
If you read carefully after the red mist has dissipated you'll see I was talking about free not as in 0$, but as in open, mine to do with as I wish after get a copy - be it purchased or giftwrapped - or as some would say 'free, not as in free beer, but a s in freedom of speech. Now you are of course free to say and think anything you like (as long as that freedom respects other people's freedom just the same), but I cannot conceive this thread having been started as an excuse to vent anti - and I quote - "greedy bastards like Bill Gates" feelings.
I agree with this, and I also understand MS's stand on pirated software and the reasons behind limiting their OS to one machine, the activation, the product key and all the other crap. I also dont really mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a great OS that I will use for a few years. My biggest problem was I run multiple PC's in an ever evolving chain. I build new ones, get rid of old ones, refurbish them, add some, subtract some...I will be damned if I jump through Gate's activation hoops every time I replace a hard drive. If I buy a copy of an OS then I should be allowed to run that OS on EVERY pc that I own. Hey, I payed for it. I understand the reasons behind not being able to do this with Windows, instead of complaining or playing his game, I found an alternative. And a better one if I may say so.

DRM also yanks my chain. I make a decent income. I'm not rich, but if I really want a particular music album then I have no qualms about buying the CD. But once I have bought that music then I feel it is my right to do with it as I choose. If I want to burn 200 other CD's using tracks off the one I purchased then that should be my right. If I choose to give this music to someone else, then the music industry just has to take that loss. (Decided I needed to edit this here. Of course if I tried to resell a copy of this music I would be bootlegging and would deserve to be locked up. I feel that the majority of people out there want to play fair with the music and movie industry. I have nothing against a rented DVD having a lock on it to prevent making copies. This is only common sense. However, if I buy that DVD then I should be able to rip it to my hard drive, burn a copy, or play it on any DVD player I may own. It does get sticky when one asks "How do you prevent file sharing etc..." I have no answer to this, but I think draconic laws limiting my use of a product I purchased are not the answer.) After all, I could have pirated the same track off the radio. It has always been this way and I feel the music industry is just going to hang itself by trying to change it. I wont buy a new CD that has DRM protection. Instead of making more money by stoping piracy they in fact lost money because I will no longer purchase that product.

If you try to limit what people can do with their purchase then the majority are either going to find a way around it or seek an alternative. Sometimes an industry should just accept a loss of revenue as the price of doing business.

ciscoalltheway
11th December 2005, 11:29 PM
Perhaps I should visit my psychiatrist to reassess the amount of medication I need to be taking. When you were in transition, were you not frustrated and perhaps tempted to vent some of these frustrations in a forum that's about switching from that which frustrates you? Granted I tend to exaggerate (UNDERSTATEMENT!!!)...I take no offense to any posts, linmix, and I feel therefore you have no reason to apologize. It is I who may have offended you by abusing the purpose for which this post was probably intended. I apologize to you, and appreciate a constructive critical view of what tends to fly from my mouth (or fingers in this instance). I of course do participate in the acquisition of pirated material. I do like the idea of "free" and all of its ramifications associated with the Linux platforms. To tell you the truth, one of the main reasons I even looked at Linux (SuSE specifically) was to check out the screensavers.

linmix
12th December 2005, 10:45 PM
Well, as the gerat playwright said: all's well that ends well. I agree windows got me frustrated to the point of putting every effort into learning linux to e able to get rid of it. It's like smoking (not that I ever have) a nasty habit that only creates ill health. Sure, there are people who like it and believe it's ok for them and they are welcome to thier opinion, as long as they allow me to live smoke free.

I'm windows free and glad of it. sure, there are things that happen in my linux box that I have no control over ... yet, it's just a matter of learning, but don't you just love the clean air!

(right, after reading that again I'm beginning to wonder whether I should prepare for a couple of good flames from smokers, but I'll just have to risk it :) If you prefer to use windows fine, but I prefer it my way :D)

h3llfire
13th January 2006, 12:34 PM
Well, to be honest, i am trying to dump Windoze because i...got bored of it. It`s like it doesn`t give you the freedom to configure it and modify it just as you want. Plus it eats alot of resources, crashes often, can`t keep the computer open all the time because it crashes at least once every 4-5 days, plus that i must have an antivirus, firewall running, and scan it every 2-3 days with a antispyware program.

I like Linux because it gives you control over everything and is very stable (when you don`t screw something up). But even if Linux gives me so much control, I have many things to learn, and I know that I can do this only in time.

Oh... and i smoke... :))

zellis
25th January 2006, 05:38 PM
I think Linux rocks, the security, updates and support are fantastic. Viruses and that kind of stuff are almost non-existent. Linux supports South African languages!!! UNISA (where I study part-time) engourages us too.

KDE 3.1.4 is available in 7 of the 11 South African Languages namely :Afrikaans, Northern Sotho, Siswati, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu. See http://dot.kde.org/1004383235/ for an article about http://www.translate.org.za Mozilla in Afrikaans, Northern Sotho. Blah, blah, blah
We are the rainbow nation and it is only system that support so many of the South African languages!

Definite plus - the support is "bakgat" - absolutely fantastic.

Best of all it is totally legal and does not crashes on you like Windows. (Unless you mess too much around with it - liked I did earlier this month). One can really experiment on it and it a very good learning experience.

My husband that is B.C. - before computers - is even learning how to work on a PC.

Proudly South African

Zigzagcom
25th January 2006, 10:12 PM
Lekker zellis,

I'm amazed that linux does support that many languages. Yebo, linux rules.
What's the shortest Xhosa joke?

(...Xh...)

zellis
27th January 2006, 02:34 PM
Hi All,
I just received today some of my study materials for this year. :mad: Unfortunately MS VB.NET is included :mad: in my cirriculum.
See the attached pic for the support MS is giving to students!!!! It is the second year I'm doing Java as well, I don't have issues like this. :) Thank you Sun Microsystems :)

:) Thank you to Fedora as well. :) There are still a lot to learn, but I know I will get support and learning a lot as well. This weekend I'm putting on my raincoat and going fishing - pouring down with rain here, we really need it. Next week I'm sommer going to Load FC5.
I'm so furious with MS. I can write a book right now WHY I HATE MICROSOFT.

You guys have a lovely weekend and keep the good work up!

morrie
13th February 2006, 04:12 PM
The final straw was the BSOD at bootup. Popped in a linux rescue CD, copied over all my personal stuff to my server (this has been running linux since Redhat 7), reformated the HD, installed FC4 and then that great feeling of having a Bill Gates free zone. Running FC4 now on my iBook, web/mail server, and Sony VAIO laptop.

MacX
16th February 2006, 09:10 PM
windows is kind of os that makes you go " ^%*^ %R$^%$# ^%T&^%$!!!!" myself i started using unix based os back in 1997 and thats when i had a office job and i was using windows 95 and almost lost my job cause it crashed and lost a very valuable doc for work! after that i went to unix based os, and never went back! sad part is i work on and fix windows pc's all day for my job. myself at home and some of work, i use mac osx cause its simple,fast,unix,sucure,sexy. then i use fedora core 5 for my pc. i love both os's so much. i also use netbsd once and a great while. windows is prolly most unstable os i ever saw in my life. they tried to make it a everyone os, and never really got grasp of it. infact when has windows made their own program? lol..... anyhow i hate windows, its unstable,crapp,error, and things u pay for that u should never have to, like a anti virus,firewall,anti spyware , what next , 2nd defence anti virus? windows needs to get its act toghter cause people are using computers more and more in job cummunity and for pure own enjoyment..... UNIX FOR LIFE!

Flounder
17th February 2006, 04:29 AM
I haven't dropped windows yet but want to by the end of the year if not as soon as possible. The reasons I wish to drop windows are as follows.

1. Lack of Security and constant risk of infection.
2. Having to go through activation key hassle now.
3. Not being able to change your OS as much as you'd like to.
4. I like the idea of Open source.
5. An 8 year old can run windows need something more advanced.

Well those are my reasons hopefully will know linux fairly well by this summer so I can kiss Bill Gates world good bye.

LinuxManMikeC
17th February 2006, 05:40 AM
In reply to the images zellis posted, if you read the license agreement for M$ products, they all state that there is no warranty. Asside from that there is often an expressly stated warranty that warrants the media is free form defects or some such garbage, but the software could crash like an overdosed druggie and you couldn't say boo about it. Yes, if your $300 copy of XP goes to the crapper you're stuck! Office costs around $300 too, so a total of $600 wasted! I could buy a whole computer for as little as $300. I'd rather buy a $300 computer and pay $0 for a copy of Linux (also with no warranty) and have a system that works. Simple economics here people! :)

daihard
17th February 2006, 08:40 AM
For me, it started as my intellectual curiosity. I had heard about Linux and its capabilities, so I wanted to learn how to use it. As it turned out, I've been completely sold on it since I installed Red Hat 7.2 on my system a few years ago. Not everything worked well at the beginning, but I took time to learn stuff and become familiar with how things worked with Linux. The more I knew about it, the more I liked it. :)

Interestingly, it was after I became a full-fledged Linux user that I started learning all the bad things about Microsoft.

JN4OldSchool
17th February 2006, 01:44 PM
In the beginning...I was an XP power user. I was happy. XP never crashed on me, it was rock stable. I knew my way around. I had been to the registry and back many times without incident. It did everything I needed it to and more. I kept a tight rein on updates, spyware, AVG etc...Did my defrag and maintanance routine weekly. Dad hates MS and was using Linux, but he is a senile old man now and really didnt have a full grasp of what he was doing. Out of curiosity I loaded Linux on a spare PC and started learning. Things were hard to do, it sucked. I wanted my dial up modem to work, had to buy a controller based modem. Spent days trying to configure it. I wanted to play MP3s. Boy, was that a challenge. Then that black day I tried to watch a DVD. That took a week. Printer problems, scanner problems, MIDI problems...Thank God I had my trusty XP box to fall back on. But something weird happened! I got the hang of Linux! I migrated to FC4 and that was all she wrote.

It is now a year and change later. I have 8 computers in my household at the current time. 7 run Linux! My kids all use FC4. I use FC4, SuSE 10, DSL and I have a "test" computer that gets a new distro every week or so. I work at home, when I'm done with my duties I play on my computers most of the rest of the time now. I am a Linux junkie. I still consider myself a newbie, there is so much I still dont know. But every day is a new challenge. Linux has opened my world up. It is my cure for my mid-life crises. I want to spread the good word to the world!

So what about Windows? That one XP computer is my wife's. She will check her mail on Linux, but she wont have anything more to do with it. I wish I could dump that OS for good, but then again, sometimes it is handy to have a Windows PC around. The most Ironic part though is that now it is actually a lot harder for me to use XP. I am used to Linux. I am now lost using Windows. Sure, I know what I'm doing, and I find my way, but it takes so much longer now. I spend minutes looking for a terminal that just isnt there. everything is in the wrong place. Word sucks after using OO.o for so long. I have more problems with Windows on my network than all the other Linux computers combined. The updates, spyware scans, virus scans and other maintanance tasks I never used to think twice about now seem like such a needless waste of time. But the worst part is Windows insults my intelligence. It is mundane, boreing, no challenges left. It is like climbing Blueberry hill compared to K2. Some people like this, it is Windows biggest selling point: "An OS for the masses." But I am not a sheep. I dont want to be bored on my computer. I like to learn. I could say a lot more about DRM, Licensing, cost, strong arm marketing tactics...But it has already been said. As alluded to in another thread, I dont "hate" MS. While I personally cant stand using Windows I hold no real grudge against it or to those who use it. Hell, I dont like Ubuntu either, but thats just me. I am proud to say:

"My name is Sean and I have been Windows free for over a year now!"

shep
17th February 2006, 06:45 PM
Well, I know that we study a linux/unix course at Uni next year, and being the compulsive geek that I am, I decided to get a jump start and try out a *nix based machine for a heads up.
Turns out that I didn't know what I was missing.
After using FC on an old Compaq piece of $hit for a while just to see what it was like, I eventually made the windoze box obsolete, so I bit the bullet and wiped the M$ machine and installed FC.

That was about 4 months ago, and every problem I have had has only increased my knowledge about how Linux works. Don't get me wrong, a 48 hour session trying to get samba to work on a windows network can be stressful, but the fact is, I now know more about both networking and iptables as a result of the problem.

With XP, I learned nothing; maybe I'd install a couple of patches or change an entry in the registry from a '1' to a '0'. (Yeah, i'm being facetious, but my point is clear I think)

I love it. It's a learning experience. And the odd time that I can't find a solution on these forums, i'll try reading a book.
It works.

Kronoz
19th February 2006, 08:50 PM
I switched becuase...
Windows is boring
Windows error messages are marginally less helpful than a turnip
Windows is crap atm running Perl or any other Scripting Language
KDE/GNOME are both more pretty than the XP interface and possibly the Vista interface
I like to tinker/hack/mess about with things
More security tools that I am interested in on Linux.

That said I keep Windows XP to play Counter Strike, I tried getting CS to work under Linux but I did it a bit wrong and it played with awful quality, I can't really be bothered with all the WINE tinkering to try again.

pparks1
19th February 2006, 08:55 PM
Windows error messages are marginally less helpful than a turnip
I've not found that the majority of Linux errors are much more helpful

I can't really be bothered with all the WINE tinkering to try again.
I agree, I keep an XP box to play games. Use a dedicated box for all of my Linux things.

cruiseoveride
19th February 2006, 09:22 PM
I wonder if Msoft is looking through this stuff, they should it could really help them out,
and linux distro should emphasise the plus points denoted in this forum, after 180 posts, i think they should put up a poll with the most frequent reasons, wat do u think community managers?

Linux The Great
19th February 2006, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately, school has prevented me from dumping windows. I have to have powerpoint. It's also been an up hill battle to get my laptop to connect to our campus' wireless network.

The good news: I graduate in May.

I'm up to three computers now, and here is how they stand.
Laptop: Dual Boot (Win XP / PCLinuxOS (at the moment))
Desktop (acting as a Tivo): Knoppmyth (moving to FC5)
Desktop: Fedora Core 4 (Moving to FC5 or Novell DL 10)

Firewing1
19th February 2006, 10:59 PM
Hah, Linux The Great, I love your saying. What makes it better is that on top of that you must pay for each M$ app you buy, Linux is free for almost all apps. Windows must be maintained, Linux less go. That's what made me drop Windows. Plus M$ unethical marketing strategies & it's unsecurity.
Firewing1

a thing
21st February 2006, 02:18 AM
Curiosity got me into GNU/Linux. After using it a few months, I noticed I was using Windows very little so I just deleted it.

uberoxidus
25th February 2006, 01:37 AM
I dropped windows because of Mainly getting sick of the daily time together with removing that week's new adware, spyware and malware. As the time goes by with that one and only adware that you cant remove because it used BITS to install it's self as a System Depentant Service. You just get so sick of it and open regedit, Most of you know, If you have your head up your ass when your playing the registry, changing one letter or hex can have a effect on 30 of your most loved programs and even better get the wonderful error codes at boot time.

My other issue was Stablity and Resources. I dont know about others but i use alot of applications for graphics, programming and just to screw around and mess something up. Having them crash and stay as a resource hog in the background is just lovely. Rebooting more than 6 times a day isnt fun.

I can go on and on about this subject but i dont like typing too much lol so yea there you go.

misha_
27th February 2006, 09:52 AM
year ago I installed my first disto Mandrake 10.0... then was a little time break... and now I installed FC4 and learning... :). its just awesome OS.. :)
and reasons? hm... I just want to learn.. :)

robghealey
27th February 2006, 10:45 AM
I love that fact that linux is open source and can be tweaked and re-compiled to fit my needs and wants. Windows is a major pain in the butt. I hate the security problems constantly. Viruses and spyware. Being able to monitor where I have been on the internet. BSOD is a horrible thing to have happen as well. The only problem that I have with FC is that printer setup is not automatic unlike as in Suse! I do not like Suse, but it did automatically configure and use my printer straight out of the initial install. All said and done, I love FC! The support and the Fedora community is the best in the world!

Nickmorgan19457
5th April 2006, 09:15 PM
Simply put: I Hate Windows!

Everytime I use windows, what ever it is I'm doing, it crashes. You know you need to rethink your choices when minesweeper crashes. Mine-****ing-Sweeper. I finally wiped my machine about a year ago, completely by accident. As for why I chose Fedora as a replacment,
1) It was free.
2) I got a thing for the hats.
I'm saving up for a Macbook Pro at the moment. I'm a profressional musician who does studio engineering and sound designing for movies, and Ardour just doesn't cut it. However, Fedora does everything I need for non-work-related stuff beautifully (with a little patience and searching).

Firewing1
5th April 2006, 09:35 PM
Yeah -- hopefully FC6 will support EMF booting, so we can dual-boot mac-fedora on the pro!
Firewing1

foxmuldar
5th April 2006, 09:57 PM
Where can i get Fedora Core 5 please?

Fox Muldar,

sambora
5th April 2006, 10:34 PM
Although I am dual booting XP Pro/FC3 on my laptop, I have used irregularly linux. I am moving to exclusive use of linux soon. Why linux? Can't type format c: \u anymore, I am sick of it, ctrl-alt-del drives me insane, slow speed if not rebooted everyday almost.
The other main issue was mentionned viruses and spyware. Another one is movies. I can read all zone DVD and I won t see that notice to change the zone settings of my DVD reader on my laptop (can do that a limited number of time before it is fixed for good). Also antipiracy software on audio CD is not working on linux. Nothing more frustrating than buying a CD and couldn t play it on your comp ARRRRHHHH. And they still wonder why we prefer to dl instead of buying. Not to mention that you can t transfer to Minidisc then (unless you use linux to extract wav file and windows to transfer).
I am still (and will need) using some software on windows (MS C++, Matlab, jukebox) but I will install Vmware and use those few things through linux.
Things I like in linux:
*multiple desktop
*security
*stable
*Customer service on forums like here are outstanding

JN4OldSchool
5th April 2006, 11:26 PM
Where can i get Fedora Core 5 please?

Fox Muldar,

Not trying to be a smart alek, but did you first try googeling "fedora core 5?" The very first link should be to the fedora site where you will be directed to the downloads...

foxmuldar
5th April 2006, 11:51 PM
yes, i did google it, but i was not sure if it was safe or not. That's why i ask, i figure if i went where you guys get your OS then i would be pretty safe...

Thanks,

Scytale
6th April 2006, 12:27 AM
Yeah -- hopefully FC6 will support EMF booting, so we can dual-boot mac-fedora on the pro!
Firewing1

There are already EFI bootloaders available (Elilo is the one I use), the only problem is with the fedora kernel, it needs to be patched to support the macbook pro's hardware. At the moment it gives me a "Can't open Initial console error" There are kernel patches available, but I've had no luck applying them.

There are a few live cd's floating around the web that will work on the MBP and this site has a few how-to's on installing distributions http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/HOWTO

I've been trying for a while to get Fedora working following the instruction on that site but I can't get the kernel patched, you need to have RPMbuild installed to open the .src.rpm files for the kernel and in order to get rpm build you need yum and to get yum you need to be able to boot into the system. So its a vicous cycle at the moment. (chrooting into the fedora partition isn't working either, gives library dependency errors for some reason).

NickMorgan,
While we wait for Fedora to be supported, If you want to run some other form of Linux to run on your Macbook pro I suggest either Ubuntu, Debian or Gentoo, I use Gentoo on mine, there are detailed Howto's for these system available. If someone smarter then me can write one of these for Fedora I'd appreciate it.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_MacOSX_MacBook_Pro_Dual_boot -Gentoo How to
http://modular.math.washington.edu/macbook/ -Ubuntu how to
http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel -Debian how to

MadDoggyca
6th April 2006, 12:42 AM
personly I havn't andnever will drop my windows... there just things in windows that so far can not be done in linux... try gameing with out a 3rd party app like cegea that you have ot pay a monthy fee for??? also adoby certive suite Permuime can not run under corss over or wine..... and gimp just dosn't cut it

also the partion editing and adding in drives isn;t there yet..I mean you thow a new drive in but if you want to move your /home folder ot the drive you also have to edit the fstab... what a pain.... for now its just playing with it... I alrdy had ot edit the fstab to dev/hd5 mnt/d_drive vfat rw,defult,mask000 0.0 get my drift yet.. personly I think all linux distro so have all HDDs mounted and useible by defult with out being only read/write by root but everone that uses the pc...

also I sitl having issuse geting my I560 USB Canom photo printer to work alone with my canoscan N650U alone with my nintendo Wifi to USB to evne work and my logiceh webcam cummuitcor...

Bandit
6th April 2006, 03:30 AM
If I stated every reason I hate windows and dont use that crap we would be here all night.
Sorry.. the word "Windows" erages my anger and hate.....

Lets just say that junk has some serious issues....

Cheers,
Bandit

twiistedkaos
6th April 2006, 03:33 AM
If I stated every reason I hate windows and dont use that crap we would be here all night.
Sorry.. the word "Windows" erages my anger and hate.....

Lets just say that junk has some serious issues....

Cheers,
Bandit
Hmm,... I'd say hate is a strong word :P. I don't hate Windows infact I think it's a fairly good OS, but that's just my opinion. But I did recently convert to strickly FC5 on this computer instead of a dual-boot mainly because I got most of my windows apps working on Wine.

wshawn
6th April 2006, 01:11 PM
I have to say, that I don't "hate" Windows as much as I hate the mentality behind it.

But in any case we have to give credit where it is due: Microsoft products create a lot of revenue for the support / service arena.

By taking my Dell 9200 Laptop (wide 17 inch screen) into my clients and using FC1 - FC 5 to fix their Windows networks (for years), I really don't have to say much on what is better.

It usually starts with a client saying, "You never have any problems with your systems, do you?"

sargek
5th May 2006, 05:31 PM
I dropped Windows for anything "mission critical" years ago. Windows is only good for gaming, IMHO. It is the worst OS ever written. The only reason it is popular is because Microsoft flooded the market with it and it has become what people are used to. There were no alternatives at the time, except Apple, which was too expensive, and OS2, which died.

I need a system at home I can count on, period. I am a grad student, magazine columnist and software developer, and I don't want to have to worry about spyware, viruses, and rebuilding my system every 6 months because of degradation. Additionally, I am not Donald Trump, cannot afford the ridiculous prices for Windows software, and do not use pirated software. Windows offers me nothing, so I only use it for entertainment. 'Nuff said...

sargek
5th May 2006, 05:33 PM
I have to say, that I don't "hate" Windows as much as I hate the mentality behind it.

But in any case we have to give credit where it is due: Microsoft products create a lot of revenue for the support / service arena.

By taking my Dell 9200 Laptop (wide 17 inch screen) into my clients and using FC1 - FC 5 to fix their Windows networks (for years), I really don't have to say much on what is better.

It usually starts with a client saying, "You never have any problems with your systems, do you?"

That's a very good answer! I like your comment about using FC to fix WIndows - it speaks volums to the customers about which is the better product...:)

Clockman
15th May 2006, 01:14 AM
Yes I was enslaved by Windoze and brought down to my knees under the yoke of bloatware, me and my machine. Crashing often, reinstalling everything 3-4 times a year and losing my documents, my artworks, my diary each time. Finding malware, spybots, tracking cookies, trojans in all sorts of places in the machine.

With the process of time, the mandatory firewalls and antivirus packages became heavier for the CPU and required probably more cycles until the ADSL fed the malware to the machine faster than these so-called protections could detect them.

I heard of Fedora 5 and I promised myself at the next crash I would start "Operation Spartacus" and try my best to free myself from this costly nonsense.

I installed it. Surprise!!! The 5 CDs are not only an OS, there is everything I need in there!

I can't say I'm happy ever after, because I just just installed it, but at least the machine is working and has not crashed yet.

Clockman

twiistedkaos
15th May 2006, 11:57 PM
Yes I was enslaved by Windoze and brought down to my knees under the yoke of bloatware, me and my machine. Crashing often, reinstalling everything 3-4 times a year and losing my documents, my artworks, my diary each time. Finding malware, spybots, tracking cookies, trojans in all sorts of places in the machine.

With the process of time, the mandatory firewalls and antivirus packages became heavier for the CPU and required probably more cycles until the ADSL fed the malware to the machine faster than these so-called protections could detect them.

I heard of Fedora 5 and I promised myself at the next crash I would start "Operation Spartacus" and try my best to free myself from this costly nonsense.

I installed it. Surprise!!! The 5 CDs are not only an OS, there is everything I need in there!

I can't say I'm happy ever after, because I just just installed it, but at least the machine is working and has not crashed yet.

Clockman

Congradulations, I had many of the same windows problems. Happy converting to Linux!

Clockman
17th May 2006, 01:34 AM
Congradulations, I had many of the same windows problems. Happy converting to Linux!

Thank you twiistedkaos :)

Fedora 5 is more involved than my former OS. I guess I'll be reading a lot on this forum because I'm really just a mouse clicker, and far to be an Operating System specialist.

Clockman

Salamandra
17th May 2006, 10:00 AM
One day i realised that i haven't booted into W... for 4 months. When i installed FC5 i decided not to dual boot, only linux at home.
Even removed the license sticker...

ltam
27th May 2006, 03:18 PM
Tired of having to upgrade my hardware and all the viruses.

mbokil
27th May 2006, 03:42 PM
Money pure and simple. I am working full time and going to school full time and I can barely afford to buy cat food. Free downloads of Fedora linux have made me save a lot of money. I download them at school, burn them and bring them home. Luckily my school is mostly web based applications now so just Firefox and Open Office are needed. It is amazing how a Microsoft dominated world is finally opening up and if you are willing to invest the time you can have a nice, free system. I also like the fact that I have never seen spyware running on my Linux PC's and when I tell them to shutdown they shutdown as asked.

Invader02
27th May 2006, 07:58 PM
Here's my story on how I stumbled on linux...

One day, I wanted to crack a friend's computer because he pissed me off... so then i looked up "how to hack a computer" in google. Then I came across this:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

I dropped all my thoughts about cracking into my friend's computer because I wasn't pissed anymore :P.

Anyway, my first distro ever was RH 9. Eventually I switched to FC 3, then to FC 4, then to FC 5.

At first, the reason I switched was because I wanted to be a hacker. Now I just want to program..

jbannon
27th May 2006, 09:31 PM
A couple of things for me: money and I don't like big corporations like Microsoft who do all they can to screw the customer base and stifle the competition. Also, I've never had a virus with Linux and it's much more efficient.

Ug
27th May 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm dual booting.

I keep windows because: I have a Napster Subscription (using WMA encrypted) for my portable audio player, which is too good value to not have and buy CDs. Sadly Linux cannot play the standard, nor do I ever think it will be able to (owing to Microsoft ironically enough).

dshaw256
29th May 2006, 08:13 PM
I switched to Linux full-time in 2001 to see if it was feasible. I was using Mandrake 9 at the time. But I ran into a number of formatting problems moving documents between OpenOffice and Word, and the necessity of doing this frequently during a consulting gig drove me to dual boot with Win2K.

A few months ago my hard drive failed, and I decided to try Linux full-time again, this time using FC4. So far, so good! I haven't had to move alot of .doc files back and forth yet, but in general, the most recent OpenOffice appears much more compatible with Word.

I don't have a problem with Windows per se - I use it at work and my wife's big Dell runs XP Pro. But I needed a LAMP development environment for a web site and I don't need anything on Windows that I can't do just as well on FC4.

ltam
30th May 2006, 01:25 AM
A few months ago my hard drive failed, and I decided to try Linux full-time again, this time using FC4. So far, so good! I haven't had to move alot of .doc files back and forth yet, but in general, the most recent OpenOffice appears much more compatible with Word.

FC5 is available and OpenOffice 2 seems to be even more compatible to MS Office files.

thebigsam
1st June 2006, 11:39 AM
simple, you dont have to defrag ! hahah

urmom9388
1st June 2006, 01:40 PM
The only reason I stilll have winblows around is for America's Army (waiting for wine fix), and for Silkroad Online.

Flounder
1st June 2006, 04:23 PM
I just deleted Windows XP off my hard drive last night and feel much much better. Linux only and maybe some bsds on this machine from now on!

Melio
4th June 2006, 10:30 AM
I'm an evil scientist, and linux is harder for do-gooders to hack into and stop my plans for world domination.

plus windows updates take 30 hours to download and 45 reboots, and once it's up and installed, you gotta install all your software off CDS and download all your shareware, then enter keys for everything, wtf. .

what a waste of time, . fedora core 5 has re-spins, how wicked cool is that now :)

thebigsam
4th June 2006, 11:14 AM
Melio I like your thinking!

owakroeger
5th June 2006, 12:04 PM
Well, I havent completely dropped Windows. We stilll have XP on our laptops for work, and some stuff just doesn't have an opensource alternative. Rather than dual boot, I run Win4LinPro on FC5, and stuff that has to be run from XP works that way. It is interesting, though, that XP, running on W4LPro with FC5 as host has none of the instability issues common to Windows. And, routed through my FC5 host, I haven't picked up a virus in almost 3 years.
It is great, though, to install Fedora and have everything just work, right out of the box. Anaconda always correctly configures my hardware and peripherals. Lingering issues about Excel and Word documents opened and edited with OpenOffice, and saved back to Excel or Word sometimes not working seem to have gone away with the newest OpenOffice 2.0.
I haven't had to defrag FC ever. And the XP running virtual hasnt needed any maintenance at all. If I should happen to break something in FC, it's usually pretty easy to fix. I keep a tar.bz2 copy of my XP guest.img up to date weekly, so if I need to, I can just untar and replace the guest.img. I keep all the data files generated with XP stored and tarred outside the guest image, on the FC5 os, and keep them tarred regularly. For me, really, this seems to be the best of both worlds.

owa

Finalzone
5th June 2006, 07:18 PM
Does Win4Lin Pro allow each user to assign to specific Windows XP account anr run some 3D games on Fedora?
I have QEMU installed and I am not sure if it allows to directly access to the WinXP partition harddrive.

Pollydan
5th June 2006, 08:46 PM
:(

The chance to leave windows would be a nice option I have played with Linux for a few years yet still I am a newbee, I have found problems I have stumbled upon that could have been resolved quickly on my windows box have taken days or weeks to resolve or I have given up the project completely, I am at this moment looking for information to activate my WIFI card, I have needed to use windows to do this as linux does not find my card there are no drivers and I cannot access the internet without it, I also see that I will need to use NDISWRAPPER and my windows drivers to be able to activate the card. I would love to stop throwing money at Bill but until there is decent support, reasonable documentation, ease of use & most important a way to play the top games I and most other users will never make the switch.

JN4OldSchool
5th June 2006, 09:18 PM

The chance to leave windows would be a nice option I have played with Linux for a few years yet still I am a newbee, I have found problems I have stumbled upon that could have been resolved quickly on my windows box have taken days or weeks to resolve or I have given up the project completely, I am at this moment looking for information to activate my WIFI card, I have needed to use windows to do this as linux does not find my card there are no drivers and I cannot access the internet without it, I also see that I will need to use NDISWRAPPER and my windows drivers to be able to activate the card. I would love to stop throwing money at Bill but until there is decent support, reasonable documentation, ease of use & most important a way to play the top games I and most other users will never make the switch.

I feel your pain. I, and most of the others in here, have been in your situation. Linux is a whole different world than Windows. The only way you can successfully switch is to grit your teeth, forget Windows, solve your problems then get used to the Linux way. It can be done, we are all here to help ease the transition. But the hard part is up to you. You need to want to do it, for whatever reason. Instead of finding things to critisize Linux on you should be looking at how to make Linux work for you. Again, it can be done. Linux will probably never have the kinds of support you are talking about. You wont be able to call "the man" to come fix your OS. You will mostly be relying on third party drivers written by fellow Linux enthusists who are not much different than you. But...We here in FC have a very good, active forum and a great bunch of guys who will go out of their way to try to help you. Your problems CAN be solved, within reason. You will not be playing the latest, greatest games on Linux, if this is your sole intent then you should have a Windows computer for this. But your networking woes and just about anything else are easily overcome. You just need to supply the time, patience and want and within a few months of solid use you wont be missing Windows at all.

AlphOmega
5th June 2006, 10:37 PM
What Made Me Drop Windows?

Has to be the easiest question to answer. We all can go on about security and stabability all day which would be some big reasons. For me and many others I assume there is so many more reasons to walk away from Redmond never to return.

The sloppy windows registry would be one reason. To install and uninstall software and to find crap left all over the registry, then having to use tools to clean it up that sometimes result in a wrecked system.

The annoying feature that most software likes to run itself by the clock on startup such as quicktime, and the evil others that have no icon but load with os such as nerocheck. the way you have to go through msconfig to disable these and yet some software will put itself back in everytime you run it.

The waste of resources running anti spyware, antivirus.

The DRM everywhere.

The pain of having to download installers then double click them to run, then deleting or archiving installer. Yum is someting I dont want to live without anymore.

Lacking SVG support on windows desktop.

Rubbish Windows Update.

Having to re-build very 3 months as windows has decided to eat itself (again)

Defraging all the time.

Running chkdsk regualry as the filesystem likes to loose file indexes.

Expensive price to pay for rubbish.

I hate windows being everywhere, had to buy a laptop with a windows license this year as cant seem to buy it without. wasting my money just to format it off the drive.

So many to list. The only reasons I have to keep xp on one machine only is for browser testing IE6 as wine wont work on x86_64, neither will my live help client :mad:

Angelus23
10th June 2006, 01:06 PM
:mad: I formatting my harddrive every 6 months , to do that in windows xp is a pain in the head...(headache)
I had to called somewhere so they can give me a key?

then I just quit..

Now linux is the only os in my harddrive. ;)

Melio
11th June 2006, 04:48 AM
that's really cool angel, I dumped windows back with FC3, and have upgraed to FC4, but since I'm in another country, away from my pc and no laptop to mess with, which .. btw. WILL never happen again, a linux laptop is in my future.

anyhow. to make a long story short, it's really an issue of comfort, I'm starting to think that comfortable window users won't change because .. well they're comfortable.. sure they get socked in the mouth by microsoft when it comes to things like digital rights managment, and hardware and.. now vista is gonna cost like 2500$ to upgrade.. well less if your intelligent.

the key here is comfort zones.. and psychologically ppl won't change unless they are UNcomfortable with something.. and I think windows are getting to be uncomfortable with that pos OS they run, and lets be honest, linux is taking massive dives into the desktop platform that it is now. and that plus a nice mix of good applications being developed to fill the void that was once deeper then deep.

I think we got ourself a good alternative, that isnt so non-mainstream that it can't be discussed openly and forward with ppl who are interested..

sure we still sound like crazy zealots. but man that kinda excitment really does make ppl wanna explore it.

trust me, comfort is way more powerful then you think :P

kancept
19th June 2006, 01:18 AM
The first thing I thought readng the title of this was: Why do w have to assume we dumped Windows to moveto linux?

I personally have never used windows full time. I'm mainly an OS/2 - eCom user - BeOS user. I use windows for video editing atm. Kino is getting better, but I still want to see something to replace Sony Vegas. eComstation is still doing most of what I need, and BeOS/ZETA is starting to feel dated to me (ie it's the little things)

I started using linux ages ago but not seriously (redhat 5.2 IIRC) and never really became comfortable with it. Fedora has always had a strange attraction to me, and I recently installed FC5. After some tinkering, it's the little things I like about it, but little things that bug me. I like closing my laptop lid and it suspending, it's great. I like having software when I need it. I don't like the fact that atm, I have overall no clue how to repair a broken system, unlike my other OSes. I think over time it'll be fine for what I do.

Wayne
19th June 2006, 01:33 AM
The last time I had windows on my *personal* PC was in 1994. I was running some flavour of DOS, Win 3.11 and PC-Tools for Windows had a great desktop. I moved to OS/2 Warp 3, Warp 4 then on to eComStation. When it became clear that IBM were dropping OS/2 support I started my foray into Linux with Mandrake then followed them as they changed their name to Mandriva.
I was dual booting for a while, doing internet stuff on eComStation and using Linux to watch my DVDs but in the end got tired of it and thought I'd free up the disk space that it was using. I got tired of KDE and started to like Gnome (kind of like the OS/2 desktop) Mandriva's Gnome is at least one revision behind the current version and I hated their Mandriva 2006 release so I tried Ubuntu Breezy, then FC5, then Ubuntu Dapper (for a total of 11 days) and now I'm back on FC5. My son is also now using FC5 for his school-work but there is one XPee machine for the handfull of games they play.

Wayne

rclark
19th June 2006, 01:39 AM
I use Linux at home as my Data Server. Wanted a system that doesn't go down, and was a good machine to backup windows files. Also, I use it to get on the Web and do e-mail. No longer worry about viruses. I've had to reload my windows OS at least a couple of times to clear out 'problems' I 'suspect' caused by the viruses even though I had a firewall and virus protection. My other two computers (ours and the kids) are still Windows XP because of games and flight simulators (I fly R/C), Print Shop, and other applications that just aren't available in Linux .. yet.

I manage a couple of linux servers at work and they 'never' go down ... period -- unless I want them down (like moving the systems to another location) . I had a Windows NT system at work that required a 'boot to the head' every month ... at least. I know the new XP systems are better, but the linux servers are so easy to manange and no licence hassles to worry about. Just use 'em :) .

I started with CPM (DEC Rainbow) (Turbo Pascal), DOS, Windows 3.1 .... up to XP of course. That dates me a bit :) . Miss the DOS days as programming was 'fun' and straight forward. Yes I am a programmer. Their was Coherent (remember that Unix like system) and Slackware that I got going, but never actually used much. It was just fun to see if I could get them up and running :) .

Dan
24th June 2006, 06:52 AM
I use both. However, I am rapidly moving toward strictly Linux because:

1) It's my computer, not Microsoft's.
2) I read and understood the MS EULA when I activated my laptop.
3) I understood the future implications of that EULA, and the MS updating system.
4) I don't mind beta testing in the marketplace; I do mind shelling out $200 for the privilege.
5) Microsoft uses predatory business practices and bad behavior should not be rewarded. (See 6/23/06 Seattle Post Intelligencer http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/274700_msfttaylor21.html )
6) MSIE was, is and will ever be... broken.

A) Linux is rapidly progressing to ready-for-prime-time sophistication.
B) Linux has already proven itself economically viable. It need only continue to grow. (See RHEL, Sun Java Desktop, Linspire, Xandros Business Edition.)
C) Talent + enthusiasm + small market share = Rapid and innovative development.
D) Linux works well on inexpensive hardware.
E) The Linux Community has never forgotten its roots! (Sorry... couldn't resist!)

DB

Nostrafus
29th June 2006, 01:02 AM
Well... that's a pretty good question,

I can only answer it in multiple parts

I guess I really haven't dropped windows totally, at the moment Fedora is something for me to play with, I use to use a distribution of linux about 5-6 years ago (don't remember which one) but quickly dropped it because at the time I used my computer almost exclusively for gaming. Now I have 3 computers at my disposal, and I figured I'd give it a shot again.

Also (not that it's really important) I'm an anarchist, and I'm not big on megacorporations, and I don't like where Microsoft is going with their operating systems, they seem hellbent on crushing all other OS's, they don't seem to test their systems for security flaws, they produce buggy OS's, and a bit of their software requires OS upgrades. Also the idea that in the future they can force updates on your system if they want to makes me a little uneasy.

As well as a little thing I noticed on my laptop when I first unpacked it. I was browsing through the control panel and I stumbled upon a screen about automated help from Microsoft, where it default is set to allowing remote access to your system by Microsoft technicians without informing you.

The only reason I still have any Microsoft products on any computer is I still like to game a few hours a week, and to be blunt, linux just doesn't have the amount of games available to it like Windows, and most of the games don't have the intense graphics I like in a FPS, or RPG.

multescugeorge@
1st August 2006, 08:10 AM
I realized that i didn't boot windows a long time, and decided to give it's space to fedora :)
Also, my favorite games do run with wine, so i have no reason to use windows.

jjluna
9th August 2006, 04:46 PM
My case is similar..... I made a 5MB partition in my lap just to try to learn and use Linux....after 2 months I was out of space in my Linux partition, so I decide to delete the windows portion =)

Unbelievable, I can do 90 percent of the activities that I was doing on windows and each day I learn many, many things with Linux.

Neolithium
9th August 2006, 11:09 PM
Well, personally I was interested in linux for a long long time (not in a galaxy far away though); but expected to need a lot more knowledge (wrong, I found forum). So the other day I finally completely removed XP from my system; and installed linux. I've tinkered around with a few distributions; most of them were not as easy to install and get used to when being compared to Fedora....I actually was worried after reading some complicated repairs to install Fedora on an Averatec.

Boy were those wrong; I used the GUI install, and everything when smooth, and quick. The only things I needed to really do aside from get the programs I want; was install my xDSL connection; and get yum to install the software updates I needed.

Another good thing to mention; is that the Microsoft forums; while they can be helpful at times; in my experience, you never get quick replies even when you mark a message as urgent; plus finding what you need in a search is ridiculous. On this forum; it's all so easy; any problems I've had with dependencies, et al; have been easy to find; most of the time I never needed to ask a question!

Definately, I cannot forsee me going back to any version of MS; although I somewhat miss Diablo; this is just so much better.

RABaggett
20th August 2006, 02:49 AM
I was getting pretty tired of shelling out cash for anti-this and that, and still needing to restore my 'golden' image of windoze periodically..

Then, the day I moved my hard drives to a new location in the case, (Next to the fan...) I plugged them into the cable in a different order. It wasn't a 'cable select' arrangement, and my drives came back in the correct order, but I had 5 employees watching over my shoulder , waiting for MY patterns, while I called in to microsoft and pleaded for re-registration.

I bought VariCad for Linux right there and then, and moved EVERYTHING to linux within a week!

Mystinar
20th August 2006, 09:13 PM
My windows machine's stability was continually degrading. The optimization/cleanup software I got seemed to just slow down the problem. Then I got linux installed on it, and the system was like new again.

Microsoft (as I've heard) has placed special code into Windows XP, which keeps the hardware running, so that it wears out quicker (and thus fueling Microsoft's cycle of perpetual upgrades). I feel the damage has been done, and I may need to get a new machine within a year or so.

wshawn
20th August 2006, 11:49 PM
Microsoft (as I've heard) has placed special code into Windows XP, which keeps the hardware running, so that it wears out quicker (and thus fueling Microsoft's cycle of perpetual upgrades). I feel the damage has been done, and I may need to get a new machine within a year or so.

That was good. Never heard that one... In case you didn't know it the real screwup is in the Windows registry. Every 6 months it doubles itself. So at the end of a year it is four times bigger than it should be. Another year and it is 16 times bigger...

Mystinar
21st August 2006, 02:38 AM
That was good. Never heard that one... In case you didn't know it the real screwup is in the Windows registry. Every 6 months it doubles itself. So at the end of a year it is four times bigger than it should be. Another year and it is 16 times bigger...

I believe it. I used a program called "Registry Mechanic" to fix that problem. However, it was only a trial version. For a complete cleanup, I needed to purchase the full version, which was about $30. Still, it did a fairly decent job. However, I was disappointed to see that the windows start menu still crashed frequently.

RABaggett
21st August 2006, 03:00 AM
I also maintain PC based controls for a large automaker.. About 230 of 'em, running NT.

I wanted to image and maintain hard drives for these using an external USB hd bay. Of course, this is a no-go in NT, so I fixed up a Win2k machine....Then discovered that Win2k 'UPGRADES' any NTFS filesystem it sees.

Simply inserting a drive into that setup rendered it permanently unusable in NT... Very unfortunate for an NT boot drive! (@$%#$@%%!!!!!)

Microsoft says this is 'NORMAL OPERATION"...hehheh, the $#@#$$s

BTW.. if you need to provide NFS for ABB industrial robots.. DON'T use the ABB provided Windows NFS server.. Just use a linux box. You'll have a LOT fewer headaches..

Dan
21st August 2006, 03:20 AM
Then discovered that Win2k 'UPGRADES' any NTFS filesystem it sees.

I learned that one the hard way too, right along with Win98's penchant for blowing away the MBR in any other locally connected drive. The teeth gnashing part of it is, if you just hadn't clicked the EULA [I agree] button, something like that would be actionable!

Dan

Allieonfire
21st August 2006, 04:35 AM
I dropped windows because it was a piece of crap! Security was ever-failing, it wouldn't do what I asked it to do, and when I got the stupid "security update" that wanted access to the internet and I clicked "deny" in ZoneAlarm, it decided I had a dodgy copy of XP and told me so every time I tried to log in and then sat on my taskbar saying "You may be a victim of counterfeit software" or some crap. What I was a victim of, was Microsoft's bull****! I contacted Microsoft about this, which by the way took AGES to find, and then I discovered I could only contact them twice before I had to pay (how greedy is THAT!?) and the reply they sent back was hardly even worth reading. They wasted my time!

When I researched the program (Genuine Advantage or something) I discovered it was sending stuff back to Microsoft about the usage of my computer, instantly making itself SPYWARE. Grrrrrrrr. That was the last straw for me, and I asked dad for his Linux discs and chose a Linux distro to install, backed up my files and then wiped Win-doze right off my harddrive and started over with FC5. I like Linux MUCH better, it does what you tell it to do, there are less viruses and crap that can screw up my system, I can't mess up my settings unless I'm logged in as root, and it doesn't install things automatically without asking me. True FC5 takes alot more work but it's SO worth it. My boyfriend bags Linux whenever I mention something going wrong or me doing something wrong, but he hasn't even tried it! He's a WinXP Home user, who did Info Tech classes n high school, taught by my dad no less, and still wants to bag Linux. His loss!

My XP SP2 by the way, was a $110AU upgrade pack, from Harvey Norman, genuine as Microsoft gets, and it took a whole weekend to install the upgrade from 98SE because I'd had a few big viruses which had corrupted a load of files which were critical to my upgrade. Dad eventually found a way to clean them out and fix it, and installed the upgrade. Two days later, a ***** virus invaded through my firewalls and scanners and we had to do the resintallation all over again, first of Win98SE and then the upgrade with XP SP2.

It's frustrating when I have to go to school though, I'm studying Cert. III IT, and I have use the XP computers. My dad discovered too, when he looked at the IT exam, that it's all biased toward windows... which means I'm screwed because I've forgotten windows VERY quickly and I only see windows every Wednesday. I guess if I want to study for the exam, it's over to my boyfriend's house to use his XP or use my mother's tobacco-stained Win98 machine. Ugh.

I also agree with every one of the people who have posted before me with their reasons. The cost is ridiculous, system security is just shockingly bad and it's just so unstable and worthless. Linux has been a much better option for me.

Funny thing I learned one day: Microsoft used to be a Linux distributor and then they picked up on one of the Linux features and developed it into MS-DOS.

Anyway, I've found I'm wasting my time with Cert III, employers want Cert IV and Microsoft certifications... and I am NOT going to get MS certified. Never. I hate Windows THAT MUCH. Now, Windows may be an excellent OS for some people, but personally I'm going to be a linux user for the rest of my life.

Grrr Windows.

cruiseoveride
21st August 2006, 04:36 AM
Microsoft and the USA
Reminds me of "V for Vendetta"
Espeacially with both the Bills pumping massive amounts of money into medical research in Africa,
you never can tell whats really going on...

Adesso
21st August 2006, 09:22 AM
I have migrated from Windows only half way, purely because I still play games that need Direct X. Call me a hardcore gamer, but I have just too much fun playing Battelfield 2 online, not to talk about my CIV iV and the likes...

I must agree with Shadow Skill, that it is possible to keep a XP machine online and secure, but it takes alot of admin, and you must scan and update every bloody day. If it wasn't for the games, my XP would be in File 13 {Garbage}

So far, Fedora has been the best distro for easy use, and a BIG drive is this forum. Many a problem is solved with this intelectual tool, and if I could, I would hire alot of people on this site. Fedora is a OS that amazes me day by day, and I like it so much I am almost considering getting a tatoo done... :P

Even if I am not a 100% converted user/developer, I must say that I manage to get alot of client to convert, and this is what makes my experience with Fedora so rewarding. My only fear is that Linux might also be targeted by virus and malware in the future, the question is just when.

Long live Fedora.. !

JN4OldSchool
21st August 2006, 01:08 PM
Anyway, I've found I'm wasting my time with Cert III, employers want Cert IV and Microsoft certifications... and I am NOT going to get MS certified. Never. I hate Windows THAT MUCH. Now, Windows may be an excellent OS for some people, but personally I'm going to be a linux user for the rest of my life.

Grrr Windows.

Great post all around, just dont confuse Unix with Linux, Linux has only been around since the early 90's, 93 I think...Anyway, I agree completly with you and you need to be talking sense into your boyfriend :D One thing though, If you plan on presuing a carreer in computer admin then you shouldnt overlook MS. You have to go where the money is and the fact is that most businesses will require an MS cert. You will only shortchange yourself with your denial of MS. I'm not telling you not to hate MS, I sure do, but I also run an XP computer and though I have no plans to buy Vista I am sure I will end up using it one day. Besides that, to be well rounded in computer knowledge you should have a hand in every OS that is available not to mention knowing a little about all the languages. By all means, specialize in Linux and nix, this will make you all the more attractive to prospective employeers as many people have overlooked this niche to date. But presue the MS cert too.

wshawn
21st August 2006, 02:06 PM
I heard this from a tech support level 3 liaison to the Engineers once:

If you want to make money support Windows, if you want it to work use Linux. :D

Allieonfire
21st August 2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not telling you not to hate MS, I sure do, but I also run an XP computer and though I have no plans to buy Vista I am sure I will end up using it one day.

Oh god, don't get me started on VISTA! >.< It's so ridiculous! It's becoming evident Microsoft are targeting the gamers and those who want an eyecandy system without functionality. With Linux (and all flavours) you get BOTH!! Plus security! Bah!!

Just... die, Bill Gates, die, and stop coming out with your bullcrap operating systems.

Riiight, I did confuse nix and nux. Thanks for pointing that out. =) Whenever my boyfriend knocks Linux, I knock him... over the head with an imaginary Linux box. It gets me so frustrated and then he teases me about being protective on Linux as if it's my baby! Well, if he had any grounds to bag Linux then sure, he could, but I'll defend it until he actually sits down and uses Linux. Grrrrr.... *mumble* I gotta get some good arguments for Linux vs Windoze, with Nux winning. Wait, I found that somewhere, I'll find it again. Muahaha.

You're completely right though about shortchanging myself if I deny MS and it's hard to admit. True, okay, I won't overlook MS, I mean it's impossible, they use it more around here than they do Linux, but I'd really rather not work with MS. I'm still young and deciding what I want to do as a career anyway. Maybe one day MS will pick up their socks and make an OS *worth* getting certification for. For now, I'll stick with CCNA, CCAI and CCNP in my sights. But first, the money, and that means a job. Ha... it's a vicious circle. To get certification for a job you need money and that means you need a job. Stupid world.

LinuxManMikeC
22nd August 2006, 08:51 AM
My only fear is that Linux might also be targeted by virus and malware in the future, the question is just when.
There are two reasons (that I know of) why Linux is so safe from viruses:
1 - There aren't many viruses for Linux. Also many of the viruses haven't been in the wild, but were for research of potential security holes (which were quickly patched after these proof-of-concept attacks were devised).
2 - Linux is securely designed. One of the main features (from Unix) is that its a true multi-user OS. If you do something stupid the damage is mostly (if not entirely) limited to that user (the exception being root). I read about a someone running a Windows virus in WINE and all it did was fill his home directory with junk (thus filling that partition). Just cleaned up his home directory and all was well.

I don't mean to say that viruses and malware should be ignored when thinking about Linux security, but the design of Linux and proper implementation of security will severely limit what damage an attacker can do. Most distro's have good default security configurations so your less computer-savvy users can have a rock solid system out-of-the-box. Of course there is the human factor, but that is mostly M$ fault IMO. M$ marketed ease-of-use out-of-the-box plug-in-n-go coputing, but then they sold un-knowledgable users a time bomb. The users went happily on their way till something went wrong, and then they just give it to someone else to fix or don't fix it till its intolerable. There is no excuse for ctrl-alt-del and reinstallation being a standard fix for most problems. My idea of what a user should know about a comptuer is comparable with a car; the "rules of the road", how to fill the tank, check fluids, etc... Users should know what to do and what not to do on the Internet. Users should learn the basics of all software they use. Its also nice for a user to know some basic sysadmin and maintenance skills (or at the very least when to call for help). As long as you have quality software, the user is the main security problem to worry about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allieonfire, I have the same feelings about M$ cert. Before I had become familiar with Linux I wanted to get M$ cert (just like my daddy :rolleyes: , I was 14 at the time). Now I haven't really "used" my WinXP boot for almost a month or more and I have no intention of supporting Window$ beyond WinXP in my professional endeavors. I know enough about Window$ and I can quckly learn anything new on an as-needed basis. As far as programming goes, I will write portable code and use cross-platform libraries as often as possible, but my focus will be non-M$ platforms. I will also support M$ as far as interoperability over networks with other platforms. I know this will limit opportunities now, but I see many more opportunities in the future. That is just a sacrifice I'm willing to make. We all need to decide where we will draw our lines and stick to it. This is where I've drawn mine.

Allieonfire, the only advice I can give on your boyfriend is "Beside every great man there is a great woman" and "The man is the head of a household, but the woman is the neck and she turns the head wherever she wants". So if your boyfriend is wise he will let you guide him to the best OS and become a great man. :cool:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Micro$oft'$ Contributions to Computing
Basic, a great tool for beginner programmers... to learn how NOT to program
DOS, a great OS... thanks for buying it Bill
Windows, a user-friendly GUI... the original port of MacOS for Intel
Internet Explorer, the free web browser without which we wouldn't have free Netscape (Mozilla)... or spyware, adware, fragmented html implementations.........
.NET, a great idea for cross platform programming... thanks for the idea Sun
Paladium & Trusted Computing, guaranteed security for all... and the downfall of the free world

jvroig
22nd August 2006, 09:27 AM
There are two reasons (that I know of) why Linux is so safe from viruses:
1 - There aren't many viruses for Linux....
2 - Linux is securely designed.
Agreed.
There have been proof of concepts but nothing more really. The way *nix is designed, it's hard to create a damaging virus. Imagine, if the user himself can't screw up the machine unless he's root, how much less a threat is a virus that the user won't even activate himself?
The spread of so much viruses, IMHO, is simply due to Mircosoft leaving gaping holes. I'm sure that if it were as securly desinged as Linux, there will probably only be 10% or less viruses in the omputer world today, and they'll be a lot tamer.

Flounder
22nd August 2006, 08:14 PM
Well when I ran windows I seldom got viruses, maybe one or two per install but no biggie. Some adware but not much of it. Other than that the system ran squicky clean required rigorious maintance though. User stupidity is what does the most to infect windows. I don't think user stupidity without root password can do much on linux. Should linux expand so would the amount of developers working on it, meaning more eyes on code with possibly faster fixes than what we have now. Considering how Unix was born first how did Gates ever design an OS far behind proven concepts only to now be catching up with a simply concept such as user permissions?

jvroig
23rd August 2006, 01:31 PM
You have few viruses because you have up to date anti-virus software. You probably are also running anti-spyware/adware stuff, right? We all do when we run windows. Even though we rarely get infected because we installed stuff to protect us, that doesn't change the fact that there are a ton of viruses that exploit the weaknesses of Windows. If on the other hand, like I mentioned, Windows was designed with greater security in mind, we might not need very updated virus scanners at all. There'll probably be just a few hundred viruses instead of unimaginable numbers.

(Useless trivia: My friend, I don't know what he was thinking, reformatted and reinstalled XP with no anti-virus/adware/spyware. He's on DSL, online 24/7. In 3 months, he asked for "cleaning" software, when we installed Norton, you'd think the counter was counting how many files have been scanned, but it was actually the number of viruses found or infected files. In total, Norton found and wiped 3,000+ viruses / infected files.)

cruiseoveride
23rd August 2006, 04:07 PM
My sister's PC died recently, due to viruses, spyware, and god know wat else.
So I told her..
"I will fix your windows, but it will be the last time. If anything happens again, Im not going to help you."
And what did she say...
"Put Linux for me"
Shes 13yrs old and using FC3.

jvroig
23rd August 2006, 04:12 PM
Well, the only way I can beat that is to ask my parents to have another child, so that after 8 years, I can teach him/her to use Fedora Core 20 :D

Mirnyy Travel Photos - Bhimbar - Bhuvanagiri Photos