PDA

View Full Version : Sony just doesn't get it

rpstitz
21st February 2009, 01:35 AM
Sony sent me an survey about my laptop, so I graciously filled it out. I love the laptop and rated it very highly. In the notes at the end of the survey, I mentioned that if they would distribute their VAIO laptops with Linux, they might have the perfect product. I told them that I use Fedora 10 with mine in a dual-boot with the original OS. Today I got an email response to the survey that read:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing after installing the Linux in your VAIO Notebook computer. The Sony VAIO Notebook computers are designed specifically to work with the Windows operating system with which they ship. While we have heard that Linux will work, Sony has not tested Linux on our VAIO computer systems.

Sony has not designed and is currently not in the process of developing Linux drivers for the hardware components of our VAIO systems. If you intend to install the Linux operating system on your PC, you will need to contact your Linux distributor for any available Linux hardware device drivers, software applications or system utilities.

NOTE: Sony will also not assist in, or support our VAIO systems
in a Linux "Dual Boot" configuration.

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6QHI
Amy

So....I replied to the email and told them that they totally missed the boat on that and that I actually felt insulted by their response. Not only am I having NO complaints with their product, Linux has made their product that much more enjoyable to me. What's funny is that they don't support Windows either. Instead, they direct customers to Microsoft who charge for support. Linux is actually by far the best supported OS. Maybe they will email me with a sympathy card tomorrow :)

Lindy
21st February 2009, 01:45 AM
Maybe they will email me with a sympathy card tomorrow
Don't count on it :p... Eventhough they put a name on it the response is most likely a cut and paste...

scottro
21st February 2009, 02:09 AM
One wonders if "Amy" actually read the letter or if they just see Linux and send out a form letter. It's disapppointing when you take the time and they do that.

However, who knows. Someone, somewhere in that office might read it.

Demz
21st February 2009, 02:23 AM
dont buy any Sony products, IMHO you only pay for the name anyway

RupertPupkin
21st February 2009, 02:23 AM
Don't count on it :p... Eventhough they put a name on it the response is most likely a cut and paste...
I wouldn't even give them that much credit. I'm guessing they have a filter that greps for "Linux" in emails, and sends this automated response if there's a match. No human action required.

Hlingler
21st February 2009, 05:16 AM
In my not-so-humble opinion, the really, really IRRITATING part here, is that if Linux had a large enough user base, they'd crap all over themselves to support it.

Just my 2,
V

Dekkon
27th February 2009, 04:32 AM
I'm surprised you got a response that actually followed your complaint. Most big companies would have either, just copied and pasted the first line "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for filling out our survey.".

JohnVV
27th February 2009, 04:53 AM
I'm surprised you got a response that actually followed your complaint.Most big companies would have either...

well MS was real nice ( not a form letter , but wrote by a real person ) when ie7 went to " a critical security" update and was wanting to install even though i had checked the " do not show me this update again" box . ie7 was killing TaxCut and visual studio . and i got the fix.

Dekkon
27th February 2009, 04:57 AM
well MS was real nice ( not a form letter , but wrote by a real person ) when ie7 went to " a critical security" update and was wanting to install even though i had checked the " do not show me this update again" box . ie7 was killing TaxCut and visual studio . and i got the fix.

I believe when calling or writing a service rep at any company, your experience is solely on who you got to talk to, and what mood they are in.

rpstitz
6th March 2009, 03:45 AM
I'm surprised you got a response that actually followed your complaint. Most big companies would have either, just copied and pasted the first line "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for filling out our survey.".

But the thing is, that I wasn't complaining...I praised them for building a wonderful machine and also mentioned that it is 100% compatible with Linux, which makes it even better....they missed the boat.

I did send another email to them...not about the previous one, or even the laptop, but to tell them that Linux will run on most of their products from computers to pdas and even the psp. Their cell phones could also benefit from Linux. The fact that all of their products ran on Linux would make them (seemingly to me) more compatible with each other and easier to sync them together. They haven't responded to that one. Losers.

Lindy
6th March 2009, 03:53 AM
I did send another email to them...not about the previous one, or even the laptop, but to tell them that Linux will run on most of their products from computers to pdas and even the psp. Their cell phones could also benefit from Linux. The fact that all of their products ran on Linux would make them (seemingly to me) more compatible with each other and easier to sync them together. They haven't responded to that one. Losers.

That comes from drinking several gallons of Microsoft Kool-Aid :p

Hlingler
6th March 2009, 04:03 AM
Kinda like telling Smith & Wesson that their guns work well with rubber bullets: they'd much rather sell "sexy" full-metal-jacket, depleted-uranium ammunition that is lethal at half a mile range - and at 10x the price of course.

V

JohnVV
6th March 2009, 05:10 AM
so Hlingler i take it then that MS xp & vista & win 7 are the " lethal" OS's and guaranteed to be a very expensive way to kill a computer .

Sicklerville Instagram Photos - Takahata - Hammond Photos on Instagram