PDA

View Full Version : New FC10 installation questions.

onewmob
16th February 2009, 01:42 AM
I am setting up an old P3 system with fedora for my cousin. I have used Fedora as a server back in the FC4 days, so i didn't expect any issues. However, i need a little help.

During the installation, i was given a message that there wasn't enough RAM to run a graphical installation screen, so i had to use the text based install. I used the default partitions with one small modification, i doubled the size of the swap drive. I chose the Office/Productivity default selection during setup, with minimal customization that included the inclusion of the KDE desktop, thinking that i could do any further customization of the environment once everything was up and running. Things like the removal of Gnome or un-needed applications etc.

What do i need to do to change the boot so that when the system starts up it doesn't automatically go to a log in at a terminal screen, but instead automatically starts x. I would preferably like to have it start KDE instead of Gnome as well, but i will start with one thing at a time. All assistance will be appreciated.

arvinddeshpande
16th February 2009, 01:53 AM
You mean you need to change in /etc/inittab to start UI than the text console?
id:5:initdefault:

Line like this should start X11 for you. Of course X11 is a base system before it starts KDE or GNOME.

Hope this helps!

Wayne
16th February 2009, 02:03 AM
Exactly how much memory does this beast have and what desktop (Gnome or KDE) are you trying to use?

Gnome is sluggish on my machine that has 512Mb RAM. If you have 256Mb it's going to crawl! Suggest you either install a lighter-weight distro or install LXDE as the GUI Desktop...

Wayne

onewmob
16th February 2009, 02:54 AM
that was exactly what i needed

I was/am planning on using KDE as a desktop. I havent heard of LXDE. This beast has the dreaded 128 MB of RAM.

I have a new oddity, since changing to a graphical login, now root is no longer rcognized. Hence, i cannot login to neither KDE, nor GNOME.

any advice would be apprciated, as i am just shy of trying another fresh install.

arvinddeshpande
16th February 2009, 03:52 PM
If i remeber reading it elsewhere on this forum, FC10 has stopped allowing root logins to the UI.
If this is correct there has to be some file in /etc/pam.d/ directory which lists root as a user and not allow him logins.....mostly kdm/gdm login PAM initialization files.
As for me.....I never logged in UI as root and also am not at home on my FC10 install and hence can't confirm.
On a second thought, I would suggest giving XFCE a try as machine has very limited memory for graphics intensive window managers.

Wayne
17th February 2009, 01:01 AM
With 128Mb RAM you're going to have more fun watching paint dry, even XFCE requires 256Mb :) LXDE is in the repos and is easily installed with:

yum groupinstall "LXDE"

Wayne

Puttlingen Travel Photos - Campina Grande do Sul Travel Photos on Instagram - Alenquer