PDA

View Full Version : FC1>FC2 net install

Motti Python
19th May 2004, 07:00 PM
I'm tring to find documentation, or a guide to do a net install, either with ftp or http, and I couldn't find how to do it.

I need to install thisway because my cd drives are unmountable, tottaly useless...

Any ideas?

Motti Python
19th May 2004, 08:09 PM
i tried to make a boot disk with diskboot.img, but the boot failed...

Thoreau
19th May 2004, 08:34 PM
you can't even get a CD-Rom to boot...well damn...

how did the boot fail?

I know i tried to boot from a Core 1 floppy to do a Core 2 install. i'll try and look for answers also

Motti Python
19th May 2004, 08:49 PM
could you get the boot disk from core one to install core 2?
my cdrom is ****ed up if there is a cd in the drive no matter what cd it is it hangs the system up at the first splash screan and doesnt let the bios load.

so I made a boot disk from ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images/diskboot.img

it wouldnt boot, the screen just daid boot failed two times and i needed to reboot

Thoreau
19th May 2004, 09:08 PM
how did you get that to fit on a floppy. it's a hair over 6MB...

go here and grab BOOTDISK and DRVNET .img's ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/images/

Boot with the bootdisk 1st, then it'll ask you for the drvnet disk...i hope this works for you

it may complain that the boot media does not match

Motti Python
19th May 2004, 09:13 PM
i have thi, I didn't know it would work for fedora core 2

Thoreau
19th May 2004, 09:19 PM
:-/ I'm not sure if it will....give it a shot

Motti Python
19th May 2004, 09:59 PM
it did not work, it said the directory does not match the boot media,

Motti Python
19th May 2004, 10:04 PM
a copy of the core 2 readme for bootables to use with a net install
This directory contains image files that can be used to create media capable of starting the Fedora Core installation process. The boot.iso file is an ISO 9660 image of a bootable CD-ROM. It is useful in cases where the CD-ROM installation method is not desired, but the CD-ROM's boot speed would be an advantage. To use this image file, burn the file onto CD-R (or CD-RW) media as you normally would. The diskboot.img file is a VFAT filesystem image that can be written to a USB pendrive or other bootable media larger than a floppy. Note that booting via USB is dependent on your BIOS supporting this. It should be written to the device using dd.

it seems it wont fit on a floppy, but as ive stated before my cd-rom is screwed up...

bradthemad
19th May 2004, 10:55 PM
Does this machine currently have a functioning Linux OS and bootloader on it?

syst3m
20th May 2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by bradthemad
Does this machine currently have a functioning Linux OS and bootloader on it?

I'mhaving the same problem (cd won't boot...) and i actually think it has something to do with grub. It seems to be interfering in the boot sequence, because even if i change de boto sequence to "CDROM, C, A" (something like that, which used to work when i had only windows installed... no bootloader) in the BIOS, it just jumps to grub, without booting the cdrom.

I tried to use the boot diskette i have from FC1, but i got some trouble and no sucess at all (that didn't surprised me, cause the bootdisk was from FC1 :rolleyes: ). Unfortunatelly, there's no way to boot the install from a diskette.

If there is any command (from grub, or whatever method...) to make the CD bootable, it would really help us all.

Thoreau
20th May 2004, 02:10 AM
I had the same problem, i had 2 cd-roms in mine, and it would not boot from the life of me. I took out the cdrom that came with it, and it worked like a charm. I have no clue why...and i didn't find out

Motti Python
20th May 2004, 02:20 AM
a friend gave me a spare cdrom drive, I'm running core 2 now, its fast and pretty....

Thoreau
20th May 2004, 02:22 AM
yay!!!

akalluri
20th May 2004, 02:39 AM
Any way around the floppy issue.

My system is old and does not support bootable cd.

Plz help.

I tried the core 1 disk and it dosent detect the packages from core 2

Cheerz

bradthemad
20th May 2004, 04:07 AM
If you do have a working Linux system, but no bootable CD-ROM, here's what to do since there aren't any boot floppies for FC2:

Find the isolinux directory, which should be at the top level of the FC2 CD, or downloaded from a mirror (.../core/2/$arch/os/isolinux/). Copy this directory into your /boot. Specifically, you will need the files /boot/isolinux/initrd.img and /boot/isolinux/vmlinuz. Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and add the following, substituting the correct value for the root device if it isn't hd0,0 on your system (just look at your existing entries):

title Fedora Core 2 Installer
root (hd0,0)
kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img

Reboot. Select "Fedora Core 2 Installer" from the grub menu. You're now booting the FC2 installation kernel and image. Proceed with the installation as normal.

syst3m
20th May 2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Motti Python
a friend gave me a spare cdrom drive, I'm running core 2 now, its fast and pretty....

I had to cd drives here on my box (one cd-rw and the other is just a normal cd drive). I removed the normal cd drive and everything went a-okay. I think the two drives were conflicting. Well, i'm on FC2 now thank god ^^

Thoreau
20th May 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by syst3m
I had to cd drives here on my box (one cd-rw and the other is just a normal cd drive). I removed the normal cd drive and everything went a-okay. I think the two drives were conflicting. Well, i'm on FC2 now thank god ^^

yeah same with me. very frustrating...at the time

wittigjr
21st May 2004, 02:16 AM
Anyone have any idea how I could install FC2 on a Windows XP machine without a bootable CD-ROM? All the fixes I've seen require a working Linux system.

Thanks!

Thoreau
21st May 2004, 02:17 PM
may i ask how you got win XP on there? If it came loaded on your machine, then it's probably new enough to boot from the cd-rom. Check your BIOS settings

wittigjr
21st May 2004, 06:40 PM
The problem is that it is a laptop without an internal CD-ROM. I installed Windows XP by using floppy boot disks with the external floppy drive (made by laptop manufacturer), and then the boot floppies allowed my computer to see the external USB CD-ROM drive so I could finish the install.

I used the same method to install FC1. I ended up going back to Windows though because I couldn't get the advanced power management stuff to work. Since FC2 came out, I've been wanting to try it, but it looks like I may be out of luck. :(

I've also tried using the USB pendrive option, but the BIOS doesn't support it. I don't think a network install will work, because the only network connectivity it has is through a PCMCIA Wi-Fi card. Would installing FC1 and then upgrading to FC2 through yum, etc work?

Thanks!

Thoreau
21st May 2004, 07:04 PM
If you can get Core1 on your HD you may be able to do this
You may be able to boot the install disc from grub. It worked for me.

Check out the top of page 2 with this thread.
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sh...mp;pagenumber=2

ddieder
21st May 2004, 11:01 PM
I tried the method bradthemad suggested. Unfortunately, the installer hung when it tried to load the Raid driver. I tried a number of variations.

Note I'm trying to upgrade from a RedHat 7.2 system running ext3.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

bradthemad
22nd May 2004, 12:44 AM
wittigjr: Got any non-NTFS partitions on your hard drive? FAT16, FAT32, or any Linux ones?

wittigjr
22nd May 2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by bradthemad
wittigjr: Got any non-NTFS partitions on your hard drive? FAT16, FAT32, or any Linux ones?
Sadly, no. I think I may just end up doing a minimal install of FC1, and then using yum to upgrade.