PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wireless not working with F10 on my laptop!

adrian22
18th December 2008, 01:32 PM
I have an old IBM Thinkpad X31 and I decided to get rid of Windows for good. I currently have F9 on my desktop and it works perfectly, so I downloaded the DVD image for F10, burned it and installed it on my laptop. I formatted the whole hard drive and everything went smoothly. I connected through the ethernet cable perfectly. Then I tried to connect to my home wlan. I went to System>Preferences>Network Configuration>Wireless and added a configuration for my home network. Unlpugged the ethernet cable and rebooted. It didn't find my network, and I spent about an hour trying to solve it. Then I downloaded and installed WICD. It seemed like it was going to work because it found my network. I configured the encryption and tried to connect but SELinux was stopping it. I disabled SELinux and rebooted and it no longer finds my network.
I'm not a complete n00b but I'm not an expert either. I'm running out of ideas so any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Adrian

EDIT: After disabling SELinux and rebooting the led indicator light for the wireless card no longer lights up.

stoat
20th December 2008, 04:10 AM
I have an old IBM Thinkpad X31 and I decided to get rid of Windows for good. I currently have F9 on my desktop and it works perfectly, so I downloaded the DVD image for F10, burned it and installed it on my laptop. I formatted the whole hard drive and everything went smoothly. I connected through the ethernet cable perfectly. Then I tried to connect to my home wlan. I went to System>Preferences>Network Configuration>Wireless and added a configuration for my home network. Unlpugged the ethernet cable and rebooted. It didn't find my network, and I spent about an hour trying to solve it. Then I downloaded and installed WICD. It seemed like it was going to work because it found my network. I configured the encryption and tried to connect but SELinux was stopping it. I disabled SELinux and rebooted and it no longer finds my network.Hello adrian22,

Well, you didn't mention anything about about the driver for the wireless card. So I have to assume that the correct driver is installed (either by you or by Fedora). If a driver is not installed, or a wrong driver is installed, then nothing good is going to happen from that point onward. Another thing that you did not mention specifically is NetworkManager. But you did mention the Network Configuration utility. So I'm thinking that you haven't tried connecting with NetworkManager. I used to create a wireless connection in the Network Configuration utility, but I still had to run several terminal commands (or use them in a script) to establish a connection. Nowadays, all I have to do is install the driver, enable NetworkManager, click on my network, and enter the password.

So based only on what you wrote (and didn't write), I sort of have to suggest that you first confirm that the driver is being loaded. You should recognize the driver for your wireless card in the list produced by this.../sbin/lsmod | sort

Next, enable NetworkManager in Services and start the daemon...su
chkconfig NetworkManager on
service NetworkManager start

Next, look for the NetworkManager system tray icon. It may after a few seconds notify you of available networks. If not, then left-click on it. If your router is broadcasting its SSID, then you should see your network in the list of available networks. Click on your network and enter the requested information accurately. If your router is not broadcasting its SSID, then left-click on the NM icon and choose "Connect to other wireless network" or "Connect to hidden wireless network" and enter all of the information. BTW, I don't think turning off SSID broadcast does anything to secure your network from a determined neighbor. So I recommend that you turn it on. It simplifies connecting to the router.

No promises, of course. But that's the way it goes for many people (and me) nowadays. I no longer do anything in the Network Configuration utility. I don't even have a wireless connection listed in that. If things did not go that way for you, then I would start at the beginning and review every step taken starting with confirming the wireless card's chipset and the driver for it.

Newton Mearns - Halvad Photos on Instagram - Fremont